What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Camelot -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Paul Rossen said:
I just don't understand why WB or for that matter any of the Co's would not used Bob Peak, Saul Bass et al original artwork. It can't be that they believe they will sell more copies with just Richard Harris' portrait on the cover. Could they?
I like having original artwork on my covers as well but I was browsing amongst a shop's displays of DVDs and I did notice that the covers with big heads tended to stand out and attract attention far more than those with distinctive artwork. I suppose the studios have done their market research and have established that the simplicity of having an actor's face on the cover works in boosting sales - especially for the impulse buyer.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As for DVD/Blu-Ray cover art, my suggestion would be to have a Big-Head slip case, and original poster on the actual case. That would seem to answer both camps - Stores/Marketing get their eye-catching, purchase drawing artwork, and collectors see the original.
I know that I never keep the slip case on when I add it to my shelves (I keep it in a box, in case I ever want to re-sell it, otherwise, to me it is a worthless expense).
(as for me, I often replace the purchased artwork with custom covers - there is an excellent thread here on HTF).
David

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Weicker said:
As for DVD/Blu-Ray cover art, my suggestion would be to have a Big-Head slip case, and original poster on the actual case. That would seem to answer both camps - Stores/Marketing get their eye-catching, purchase drawing artwork, and collectors see the original.
I know that I never keep the slip case on when I add it to my shelves (I keep it in a box, in case I ever want to re-sell it, otherwise, to me it is a worthless expense).
(as for me, I often replace the purchased artwork with custom covers - there is an excellent thread here on HTF).
David
Completely agree on all your points. Unfortunately the digibook cover of this release would be hard to cover up with a custom one, and I still prefer the menus as well to keep to the original key art. Elegant presentation is something we don't get often... however a couple recent cases of somewhat innovative programming/authoring have shown it's possible to have ALTERNATE menus for different tastes programmed onto a disc. If only there were were truly creative people in charge of the catalog releases...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/319939/a-few-words-about-camelot-in-blu-ray#post_3915146
Does Camelot open with the original WB logo?
Trick question?

RAH

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I am assuming Mr. Harris is referring to the fact that in 1967 when CAMELOT was released, the studio was known as Warner Brothers/Seven Arts and this is what you see on the opening credits.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
No logo in the credits... just the text WARNER BROTHERS/ SEVEN ARTS PRESENT. There was a kinda wonky logo used by them during this period which worked a "7" into the logo, but this was not used for CAMELOT. Here is a link so you can see it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros.-Seven_Arts

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/319939/a-few-words-about-camelot-in-blu-ray#post_3915677
So, Camelot didn't use a logo at all?
Not that I ever recall seeing. At least not roadshow prints.

RAH

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I remember the restrooms at the Warner Theater in NY were renamed "Kings" & "Queens" and the screen was curved so that the image would sometimes double up when the horses rode by

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Camelot is still THE number one film I saw the most times in a real theater - over 176 tmes during it original release.
Two things- the original credits wereVERY sharp, not smudgy at all
also, the master track for the film is a four track. A six track is one generation down.
the very first laserdisc release (pan/scan) used the original four track. That release is the only release that uses the correct soundtrcck as heard in 1968.
there is a review of this film over at blu-ray.com. again, the reviewer there does not know how the sound is supposed to go and he doesn't seem to care.
all widescreen vid releases use incorrect tracks. One usesw an early temp track, all the others use bad remixes.
There is no isolated music track on the new disc. The old dvd ws not really an isolated track but a REMIX music and effects track with lots of fake reverb added. Awful.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Wow Joe... over 176 times for CAMELOT. Were you working as a projectionist or did you see it this many times as an audience member?
In either case I definitely hope you will post your opinions on the CAMELOT blu ray. I would think you would be uniquely qualified.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Jim*Tod /t/319939/a-few-words-about-camelot-in-blu-ray/30#post_3916345
Wow Joe... over 176 times for CAMELOT. Were you working as a projectionist or did you see it this many times as an audience member?
In either case I definitely hope you will post your opinions on the CAMELOT blu ray. I would think you would be uniquely qualified.

It's because of Joe, "Camelot" actually turned a profit

49336a23_196cam55ttol.jpeg
Peak's adward winning art for Camelot (winner "illustration of the year")

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Joe Caps said:
Camelot is still THE number one film I saw the most times in a real theater - over 176 tmes during it original release.
Wow.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yes, so I knda feellike I own it and I hate to see (or rather hear) what has been done to it over the years.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom Peak, Bob's son, is publishing a great book of Bob Peak artwork, including lots of the movie campaign art. details at www.bobpeak.com

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I want this book for sure. I see Barnes & Noble have a pre-order up for it also stating a May release, but hoping Amazon will carry it also. Since I have prime. Should be an awesome book.

Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/319939/a-few-words-about-camelot-in-blu-ray/30#post_3916552
Tom Peak, Bob's son, is publishing a great book of Bob Peak artwork, including lots of the movie campaign art. details at www.bobpeak.com

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There has been a discussion on Roadshow One-Sheets vs. General Release One-Sheets on the TODD-AO thread in this Forum. I pulled these two out from CAMELOT. While I remember seeing the left poster at our local theatre, it did not play reserved seats and did run continuous performances, so it might not be the actual Roadshow One-Sheet. I got the one sheet on the right from a sub-run house a few months later. No mater how they were used, the left one-sheet from Bob Peak is outstanding and I wish Warner would have used some of the art work for the Blu-ray cover.

83c83bf8_Camelot-1sheeta.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks