What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Camelot -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've been trying to figure out when I first saw Camelot
ir

The best that I can come up with was some time in early 1967, well before the opening, at a WB employee screening at the Warner in NYC. I enjoyed it back then, and I enjoyed it recently on Blu-ray. I wasn't wowed by the DVD.

That first screening was a 70mm blow-up, struck from the original camera negative, and I always recalled it being beautifully shot by Richard H. Kline. To me, his work on Camelot reminds me most of what he did with Body Heat. But that may just be me.

One thing that I've always loved about the film has been the way the ending was shot. And on Blu-ray, it comes across beautifully. You'll see what I mean.

How does the Blu-ray look and sound?

In a word terrific.

It doesn't look like a current scan derived from camera neg. Taken from a beautifully produced IP, the image looks very much like what a print would have looked like in 1967. We've gotten so used to seeing full negative grain structure, that when you see that same structure from an IP -- one generation down -- you notice that the grain has taken on a slightly more gentle, almost velvety appearance. Fellow grain monks will still be pleased, as the image is fine.

One odd thing was the softness of the main title sequence lettering, which I didn't recall, but am told that it is what it is. What we're seeing is not from dupes or separations. That is apparently what it looked like on prints in 1967, but I don't recall it looking that way, and find it odd that it would have been approved. In a 70mm blow-up it would have looked quite bad.

Audio is rich, strong, vibrant and clear. I'm aware that there were discussions when earlier versions hit home video regarding whether the tracks were "correct," but I simply don't have that particular knowledge. My presumption is that the original 6-track would have been used as a basis. I'm very happy with it.

Some may ask, "why use an IP, rather than a camera neg?"

A couple of reasons.

First, and most important, this negative received a reasonable amount of use, as a number of 70mm prints were optically struck from it, which means wear, and dollars for clean-up.

But more important, if the intent, as there are probably a myriad of preservation elements already in the vaults, is a new quality HD master, then an OCN scan really isn't a necessity, and it would be a huge expense.

Using an IP is the smart thing to do in this case, as it carries the color timing. This means that touch-ups and corrections should be necessary after coming to an overall color set-up. That could save 100 hours or more, at around $600/hr.

That's huge.

Am I happy with Camelot on Blu-ray
ir

Absolutely. Short of having shot it in 65mm, it's a gorgeous film.

Recommended.

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris.
Camelot is another favorite of mine. Very pleased to read the blu ray
is a good one.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Anyone want to talk about the extras as compared to the previous DVD?
I would have preferred Warners keep the original key art for the cover and menus. Bob Peak was a master and I prefer his classic Movie Poster work to publicity shots that make a cover look alike a magazine.

I don't really pay much attention to the cover and menus. I would rather have a fantastic transfer...However, I think the cover for this is fine.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looking forward to owning a decent release of this film. It will never be the great rendition of that magnificent score that it could have been, but the acting is solid and the production itself quite grand.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
After reading Mr. Harris' review, I immediately placed my pre-order. I've owned the DVD for years, but it always appeared "edgy" -- so I'm really looking forward to a proper presentation.
My "Great Musicals on Blu" collection is *finally* starting to fill-in! Now if we could just get a decent "My Fair Lady" on Blu one of these days ... *sigh*

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think somebody needs to correct the image associated with this thread on the home page.
Looking forward to this release. Been wanting to watch this movie but not enough to put in the old lacking DVD on my shelf.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
NY2LA said:
I would have preferred Warners keep the original key art for the cover and menus. Bob Peak was a master and I prefer his classic Movie Poster work to publicity shots that make a cover look alike a magazine.
I just don't understand why WB or for that matter any of the Co's would not used Bob Peak, Saul Bass et al original artwork. It can't be that they believe they will sell more copies with just Richard Harris' portrait on the cover. Could they?

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
My guess is that the marketers at WB want to differentiate the blu-ray from previous home video releases by using new cover art. However, I agree with you completely. I wish all home videos used original poster art for their covers. Ultimately though, what matters most is what's on the disc. But how frustrating is it that near perfect film versions of two Broadway musicals were botched on blu-ray (West Side Story and My Fair Lady) while the very flawed Camelot is done up right? Oh well... despite its significant problems I've always enjoyed the movie version of Camelot, so I'm still happy with Mr. Harris's report (Robert, that is... not Richard ;-))

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen /t/319939/a-few-words-about-camelot-in-blu-ray#post_3914966
I just don't understand why WB or for that matter any of the Co's would not used Bob Peak, Saul Bass et al original artwork. It can't be that they believe they will sell more copies with just Richard Harris' portrait on the cover. Could they?
I find it humorous and sad that the WAC uses original poster art whenever they can and the mass market division will use anything but original art. I guess they are trying to give the product a sense of being current with the big head look. Instead of standing out on any racks at a B&M store, it will blend in with the rest of the titles. That being said, I have never purchased a title based on the cover art work. The title goes on the shelf and all you see is the spine. It is always the transfer that matters.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oddly enough, though, even before the Archives, WB was using quite a bit of original poster-derived art on their mass-market DVDs. I was recently rearranging stuff on some shelves, and was amazed to find it on a number of items I hadn't looked at in a while. It's equally jarring (but oh so pleasurable) to find it in stores such as B&N that still carry a decent selection of titles.

And now we're well off-topic!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by WilliamMcK /t/319939/a-few-words-about-camelot-in-blu-ray#post_3914989
My guess is that the marketers at WB want to differentiate the blu-ray from previous home video releases by using new cover art. However, I agree with you completely. I wish all home videos used original poster art for their covers. Ultimately though, what matters most is what's on the disc. But how frustrating is it that near perfect film versions of two Broadway musicals were botched on blu-ray (West Side Story and My Fair Lady) while the very flawed Camelot is done up right? Oh well... despite its significant problems I've always enjoyed the movie version of Camelot, so I'm still happy with Mr. Harris's report (Robert, that is... not Richard ;-))
Yes, Robert, not Richard.

Interestingly, but not without a downside, he and I were staying at the same hotel in LA back in the early 1980s. Our days didn't quite match up as far as working hours. Mine would begin around 5:30 - 6 AM. His a bit later.

What I noticed was that my phone wouldn't ring quite a bit of the time in the morning, and I finally asked about it.

Seems Richard, not Robert, would arrive back at the hotel at some ungodly hour, usually with a lovely friend, and he would call the operator, saying, "This is Mr. Harris. No calls before..."

Because they didn't know which it was, I had some very quiet mornings.

Very talented and interesting gentleman, and a loss for the filmmaking community.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

John Skoda

Second Unit
NY2LA said:
Yes, I want to know about this too. In particular, I want to know if the blu will include the complete isolated music track that was on the DVD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Rossen said:
Thanks for responding. The surprise here is that Warners have generally the best track record for keeping the original key art (or really close to it) far beyond any other studio.
Yeah an argument can be made that they may have wanted to differentiate from a previous version, but that still would not preclude using the original as there are many possible variations. Also, look at their track record for holding to the key art or previous art on subsequent editions of other titles. So there isn't a clear reason for this choice unless someone new is in charge in their art department.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Skoda said:
Yes, I want to know about this too. In particular, I want to know if the blu will include the complete isolated music track that was on the DVD.
Or the long TV program broadcast from the premiere. Lots of movies had them on both coasts (MAME, anyone?) but rarely are they included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks