What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Where is the 4K UHD Disc for the 50th Anniversary ???? It's Not one of my Favorite westerns, but still No upgrade ? The Wild Bunch is a Favorite and No 4K UHD 50th Anniversary release either ! ?? : (

willyTass

Supporting Actor
We need to Make Houses Affordable Again so people have this thing called money so they can buy stuff again

no incentive for studios to press disks that sell in the low thousands when they have greedy shareholders to answer too

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Even new, successful movies like Little Women aren't getting released on 4K disc. I think very few older films will ever see releases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
People are still spending more or less the same money, they’re just allocating those funds differently. Ten years ago, American consumers spent $20 billion on physical media purchases. Last year, they spent $15 billion in streaming subscriptions, $3 billion in digital purchases and $3 billion in physical media purchases - so that actually adds up to more spending now than ten years ago for home entertainment. It’s simply that consumer preference has shifted the market, and the average consumers that drive all industries are finding a digital subscription a better value than a one-time purchase of a single title linked to the possession of a physical object. You could give everyone in the country a free house and a raise and it still won’t change the fact that the average consumer’s preferences have changed.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
We've also become spoiled by the quality of digital images in the past decade or so. If you went to see a 35mm print of Butch Cassidy on opening night in 1969, you weren't seeing anything close to 4K.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Where is the 4K UHD Disc for the 50th Anniversary ???? It's Not one of my Favorite westerns, but still No upgrade ? The Wild Bunch is a Favorite and No 4K UHD 50th Anniversary release either ! ?? : (
The last year was very disappointing for catalog titles on 4K disc. The studios ignored some pretty big anniversaries for movies like Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, North by Northwest, Sleeping Beauty, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Mad Max, The Abyss, Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, Speed, Fight Club, and many more which would've seemed like no-brainers for 4K releases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That should be an indication for how poorly those titles sell on physical media in today’s environment. Studios made some good money in the DVD era, but they really lost a lot more than is commonly understood in the Blu-ray era. They spent fortunes upgrading their libraries and releasing discs and in more cases than not, the numbers weren’t there relative to the expenditures they made.

Titles like Ben-Hur, Gone With The Wind, Butch Cassidy, Pulp Fiction are routinely being sold off in bargain sales for $5. When they go that low as a matter of routine, it means that they’re not making money on it, not even breaking even in many cases, and are just trying to get pennies on the dollar back by liquidating the stock because the cost of maintaining the inventory in warehouses is more than that stock is worth today. It’s a very harsh, very sobering reality.

Everyone working in this part of the industry is being very cautious about what they put out and trying to find ways to make the math work. A misfire in a particular category could mean the end of all similar titles in the same category; the margins are often that tight now.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
What about manufacture on demand ?

Warner archive are doing it

Sony is doing it

small batch pressing and pressed on real BD discs not bd-R

theydon’t get discounted hardly ever and sold largely through amazon

Don’t have to waste money sending discs to retail outlets

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Perhaps the upcoming 4k edition of The Deer Hunter from Shout will be instructive. If that one can sell enough copies to make it worthwhile, then perhaps that's the way to go in the future. I always encourage everyone to buy the discs from Shout, Kino, Twilight, etc. that interest you. It may just mean the survival of the format.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I can’t understand how turntables and vinyl records are being sold everywhere but movies are struggling

vinyl is a monumental pain in the arse . Cartridges are expensive and have to be changed every 2000 hours . Records themselves are plagued with issues : I used to return at least 30% of em for various manufacturing defects such as warps, off centre pressings, non fill , dished records (except Japanese pressings which are physically perfect but don’t always have original master tapes as sources)

sure analog mastered vinyl is trumps for sound quality but it’s an expensive hobby and it seems to be thriving

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I can’t understand how turntables and vinyl records are being sold everywhere but movies are struggling

vinyl is a monumental pain in the arse . Cartridges are expensive and have to be changed every 2000 hours . Records themselves are plagued with issues : I used to return at least 30% of em for various manufacturing defects such as warps, off centre pressings, non fill , dished records (except Japanese pressings which are physically perfect but don’t always have original master tapes as sources)

sure analog mastered vinyl is trumps for sound quality but it’s an expensive hobby and it seems to be thriving
Vinyl isn't all that big. It's on track to sell about $500 million this year, compared to about $7 billion for music streaming. For movies and television, physical media sales are around $3 billion, versus $13 billion for streaming services.

swSteve

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Trutiak
It’s on iTunes on 4k

Sorry, but iTunes does not have The Wild Bunch in 4K.

I double checked

Tested on a gigabit connected 4K AppleTV with 4K display.
There is no indication of anything beyond "HD"

iTunes has what looks like the same (sad) transfer used for the 2007 VC-1 (18 Mbps) blu-ray disc
...and it includes the white border line at top bottom left right edges of the picture area.

The low bitrate might indicate a simple port of the HD-DVD release.

I've seen the bright, beautiful 70mm print twice, and it's clear that
a new release could be so much better

I'd like nothing better than a great 4K release but at this point we have nothing close.

cheers

Steve

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry, but iTunes does not have The Wild Bunch in 4K.

I double checked

Tested on a gigabit connected 4K AppleTV with 4K display.
There is no indication of anything beyond "HD"

iTunes has what looks like the same (sad) transfer used for the 2007 VC-1 (18 Mbps) blu-ray disc
...and it includes the white border line at top bottom left right edges of the picture area.

The low bitrate might indicate a simple port of the HD-DVD release.

I've seen the bright, beautiful 70mm print twice, and it's clear that
a new release could be so much better

I'd like nothing better than a great 4K release but at this point we have nothing close.

cheers

Steve
He’s talking about “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” being in 4K without any HDR on iTunes. We all know that “The Wild Bunch” is only in HD on iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks