What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection 1917-1923 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Decades ago, when I was teaching a film course, the question was raised as to whether Chaplin or Keaton was the better performer.

One could add Lloyd to that query.

I still don't believe there's an answer, as they're all so different, in their mechanisms toward comedy, and their production techniques, especially when one does a forensic examination of the way that Chaplin created his productions.

Keaton first appeared as a secondary player to Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, the occasionally obese comic (at points in his career, he tipped the scales at 350 pounds), whose career will be forever linked to a sensational murder trial. Arbuckle also shared the screen, early on, with Chaplin.

What's special about Kino's new Blu-ray collection of Keaton's work is that it's all together in a single high quality release for the first time.

With images mainly harvested from 35mm elements, and proper digital processing, many of the shorts are beautifully represented, while others have apparent nitrate decomp, scratches and other problems, that if handled digitally may well have created problems anew. In short, the condition of the shorts are what they are, and I'm thrilled to have them.

All are in the public domain, and I presume that at some point we may see another collection via Cohen, the entity that holds the rights to the Rohauer library, and many of Keaton's elements. Will some be better than what we're seeing here? Possibly.

Others will fall short, as some seen here, from Lobster Films, in association with Film Preservation Associates, are unique to that superb library.

Bottom line, regardless of what occurs in the future, this Kino edition is a treat for any self-respecting cinephile.

Numerical scores are not used below, as they aren't relevant here.

One of the most important silent releases of 2016.

For those who have never experienced Keaton's particular style of physical comedy, you're in for a huge treat.

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
When I told my brother what I wanted for my birthday this was the top of my wish list. A big fan of Keaton and I do have most everything on dvd, blu-ray and even laserdisc and a few books on him so very happy Kino has released this great set.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As a point of interest, original corners of frames are visible on many of the films. Watching the corners move will give viewers a very good concept of how much stabilization was necessary.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I Watched "The Rough House" , and "Out West" so far. The picture quality varies greatly. The video quality of "Rough House" was pretty bad, but after my eyes adjusted to it, was enjoyable. "Out West" looked much better.
I agree with Mr. Harris, I am thrilled to own this set too.
To even have access to these films nearly 100 years old is a great privilege. I am a Buster Keton fan, and have never seen the Roscoe Arbuckle shorts. I am very pleased to own this set.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll leave it to those who know the Keaton films shot to shot to comment further.

Not my area of expertise.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Lovely review of a really nice set. With Criterion's releases of the Chaplin and Lloyd features as well as Flicker Alley's distribution of the Chaplin and Mack Sennett shorts, this has been a really amazing couple of years for silent comedy on Blu. As a parent of a one-year-old I'm finding it harder and harder to find time for full-length feature film viewing, but have been making up for that by checking out the shorts - and generally have been having a ball. Great stuff!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Glad to see Lloyd's films coming out in the last few years since they were rarely seen before and it shows what a genius he was and rightfully belongs with Keaton & Chaplin.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Glad to see Lloyd's films coming out in the last few years since they were rarely seen before and it shows what a genius he was and rightfully belongs with Keaton & Chaplin.

His (eventual) sons-in-law had to convince him the to do the necessary preservation etc so they could be released.

The advantage is the source materials are near pristine. :cool:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
As a point of interest, original corners of frames are visible on many of the films. Watching the corners move will give viewers a very good concept of how much stabilization was necessary.
Is that because of the elements shrinking?

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks

I generally like seeing the original corners of frames because that's an indication that it hasn't been cropped. Even at Academy screenings of vintage films, title cards and other aspects indicate that the films have been cropped and/or are projected incorrectly.

But if the corners are still moving, have these films actually been stabilized? And is it possible to stabilize a film without cropping?

So many of us complain about the digital presentation of films (as opposed to 35mm/70mm projection), but one of the advantages of digital presentation has always been the rock steady image. I think most of us forget just how unsteady much presentation was, especially on revivals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks