What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Brigadoon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This one is simple.

Classic M-G-M musical from the Freed unit, with a superb cast, and directed by Vincente Minnelli.

Relatively early CinemaScope (2.55:1), original stereo, photographed in AnscoColor, with all those Minnelli dupes. Perfect grain, black levels, color, stability...

For those who constantly seek, Ansco (GAF) was a negative, similar to Eastman, but with a negative base more toward green, than the normal orange.

I recall Freddie Young discussing it, and telling me that M-G-M wanted to use up their supply, so he was forced to shoot Lust for Life (1956) on the stock.

It's Warner Archive, which means that it's perfect.

Those who nitpick will notice a single dissolve, with odd patterns. Part of the original element, and always been that way.

You need this one.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw a reissue of it in the 1960s (the same theater presented the 1951 Show Boat the next week). Having never seen either of them, I thought I was in Broadway musical heaven (even though both films were quite different from their Broadway counterparts, but I didn't learn how different until later).

Brigadoon was also the first MGM musical soundtrack album that I found in a record store that wasn't a reissue.

So, the movie holds a very special place in my heart.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I'm afraid that, being Scottish, I can't enjoy this film. Like most of my compatriots I find it risable and cringeworthy in equal measure.

(I do rather like Ansco film stock though).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm afraid that, being Scottish, I can't enjoy this film. Like most of my compatriots I find it risable and cringeworthy in equal measure.

(I do rather like Ansco film stock though).

Aye the noo, I'll just be knitting you a wee porridge sandwich. Ha, I really like this musical & I'm glad it's a stylized version of Scotland shot in the studio in Hollywood & not the real thing on location. And being English, if it annoys the Scots, well that's a bonus, mind you, I must be a little bit Scottish as both my mothers parents were Scots (but they died before I was born, so I never knew them, & I haven't visited Scotland...yet).

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, the studio-bound Scotland of Brigadoon doesn't bother me in the least since this is a musical fantasy. In fact, I'm looking forward to studying the production design in greater detail with this Blu-ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, the studio-bound Scotland of Brigadoon doesn't bother me in the least since this is a musical fantasy. In fact, I'm looking forward to studying the production design in greater detail with this Blu-ray.

Not too many years ago, the background cycs still existed. Don’t know if they’re at Sony.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite MGM and Gene Kelly musicals. So definitely a must have for me. I believe the Laserdisc was only 2.35:1 which was the last time I upgraded the film so I am due and I haven't seen the film in 20 years so I'm really looking forward to it. I watched it at least 5 times in the 80's and 90's.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
One of my favorites. Pre-ordered.

My only (minor) gripe about the film is that Van Johnson acts like he would rather be somewhere else. Perhaps Mr. Minnelli asked him to put a little more "awe" into it, and Van misheard it as "yawn". Brings back a memory of a similar misunderstanding that John Wayne may (or may not) have had with director George Stevens. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why do detractors of this film have to show up and comment in this thread? Just a question as I'm fine with people not liking this film as to each his own. I was just wondering why bother commenting in a review thread when you have no intention of buying this disc.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Why do detractors of this film have to show up and comment in this thread? Just a question as I'm fine with people not liking this film as to each his own. I was just wondering why bother commenting in a review thread when you have no intention of buying this disc.

Because it's the Internet and the whole world is dying to know my opinion on everything. :laugh:

(For the record, BRIGADOON is a day-one purchase for me.)

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Because it's the Internet and the whole world is dying to know my opinion on everything.

That's a rather jaundiced viewpoint.

In answer to Robert's post I would say "Because it's a forum".

Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's a rather jaundiced viewpoint.

In answer to Robert's post I would say "Because it's a forum".

Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
At times, I think that's the case and then there are times I think it's something else.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit puzzled on the dull comments as I find it one of the more interesting MGM musicals because it actually has an engaging storyline vs. the normal fluff storyline used to get us from one musical number to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks