What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Brick - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Brick is a modern noir - color - daylight- which in some ways reminds me of Tim Hunter's River's Edge. Possibly because of the age of the characters - high school.

It's the first film by a new kid on the block, Rian Johnson. Billed as a "detective movie," it has speech patterns and an aura of the best of Bogart, Hawks and Huston.

I like it, as everything about it just works.

Best to go into this one knowing nothing, as in don't read reviews.

Can't wait to see where the filmmaker lands next.

More modern noir?

Brick arrives courtesy of Kino Lorber.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for this. I know nothing about this film, never having even heard of it. I will certainly take your advice about not reading reviews etc. I'll just buy the disc . . . . and hope for the best! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this one in theaters back in 2006, and thinking it was quirky but tightly plotted and enjoyable. Nora Zehetner has stuck in my mind as being a particular standout as
the femme fatale

I'd rank it second of Johnson's films, after the pretty much perfect Knives Out. The magical realism of The Brothers Bloom didn't work for me (and it overstayed its welcome), while Looper engaged me intellectually but not emotionally.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I remember seeing this one in theaters back in 2006, and thinking it was quirky but tightly plotted and enjoyable. Nora Zehetner has stuck in my mind as being a particular standout as
the femme fatale

I'd rank it second of Johnson's films, after the pretty much perfect Knives Out. The magical realism of The Brothers Bloom didn't work for me (and it overstayed its welcome), while Looper engaged me intellectually but not emotionally.

Knives Out is one of this year’s consummate crowd pleasers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks