What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Bram Stoker's Dracula -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in the early days of Blu-ray, there were enough threads discussing precisely what Mr. Coppola's Dracula should look like. I'll not re-visit.

The bottom line on Columbia's new 4k release of the film, is that it has the appearance of a veil being lifted from previous releases, that we never perceived being there.

One of the nice things about visiting 4k out of Sony, is that they take the 4k technology seriously. And that means the proper massaging of HDR, which for some other entities has little meaning at all.

While High Dynamic Range always had a specific meaning in photography, that look has been dissipated by numerous HDR discs, that have contrast and color cranked, but no delicacy added.

With Dracula, blacks are blacker, colors take on an extended life, and shadow detail isn't lost.

That all a very good thing.

Dracula is the latest poster child for 4k with HDR done correctly.

It's absolutely worth the upgrade.

For those who cherish slipcovers, this one actually is worth saving.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
Blacks definitely look very nice. After owning every release of this starting with VHS, watching the UHD was tantamount to seeing it for the first time. I was in such awe, I actually played it back to back just to take it all in. I hope future UHD's follow suit. Great review Mr. Harris.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can't help but bring up the past Dave Mack debate about this. This UHD while perfect in every way except for the fact that I simply do not like the color-The color timing has left me cold. Like all BD releases of this film, and now in glorious UHD I haven't cared for any.
I will stick with the Superbit DVD, and sync the Atmos audio from the UHD to it.
Sad, but true.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
I can't help but bring up the past Dave Mack debate about this. This UHD while perfect in every way except for the fact that I simply do not like the color-The color timing has left me cold. Like all BD releases of this film, and now in glorious UHD I haven't cared for any.
I will stick with the Superbit DVD, and sync the Atmos audio from the UHD to it.
Sad, but true.

Hard for me to imagine going back to the Superbit DVD. The UHD is the best I've seen this film look since I saw it upon its initial release at the National Theater in Westwood. This is the closest the color-timing has come to my memory of the theatrical screening. Though memory is not to be trusted. But this 4K HDR edition is really pleasing to my eye as it maintains the grain and other filmic textures of the original without over-saturating the colors. Personally, I am VERY happy with this upgrade.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Hard for me to imagine going back to the Superbit DVD. The UHD is the best I've seen this film look since I saw it upon its initial release at the National Theater in Westwood. This is the closest the color-timing has come to my memory of the theatrical screening.

I agree, the UHD is the best it has ever looked. I can't deny that, but it comes down to a personal preference for me. Color timing, more than anything else in home video is a make or break quality.
The few screenings I caught at the cinema in the early 90's, I do not remember. I only know that on home video from VHS to Laserdisc, to the Superbit DVD represent the color I like of the film.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm looking forward to watching my disc some time this week.

RAH,

When are you going to watch The Bridge on the River Kwai 4K/UHD disc?

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm looking forward to watching my disc some time this week.

RAH,

When are you going to watch The Bridge on the River Kwai 4K/UHD disc?

I’ve viewed Kwai.

Overall very beautiful. Getting into some tech questions that are aside of the release.

Will review eventually, but for the time being, suffice to say that everyone should own a copy in 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve viewed Kwai.

Overall very beautiful. Getting into some tech questions that are aside of the release.

Will review eventually, but for the time being, suffice to say that everyone should own a copy in 4k.
Thank you for your comments as I thought it looked beautiful too.

Reactions: PMF

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Looking forward to this one. Saw it in theaters during the initial run and was impressed even then with the technical prowess. Glad to hear that Sony is restoring these classics correctly.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
To be fair, the 2015 BD looked quite different from the 2007 BD which we were told was an exact match to the answer print. So I guess the new BD definitely doesn't match the answer print - and I'm assuming that the UHD has the same colour scheme as the 2015 BD.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the Superbit colour scheme is much better, but at least they made some attempt at fixing the so-called perfect 2007 BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks