What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Bound -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bound, from the Wachowski's is an interesting film. A bit of a melange of genres, some good. And it's a nice looking presentation from Olive, which pleases me. I like to see nice.

Shot for a very high contrast look, with hot color, and general lack of shadow detail, the film is all about style. Some of it works, some doesn't, but the film is an interesting ride.

If you're in the mood for frenetic, over-the-top acting, and a story-line that seems to by trying hard to be Coenish, Bound is an interesting trip, and most importantly the beginning of a very interesting directorial career.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

A good looking and sounding Blu-ray.

Recommended.

By the way, as mentioned in my Body and Soul comments, I'm still trying to catch up on August Olive releases.

RAH

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Nice to see your assessment of the AV quality of this release.
There was a French release that I heard was not good.
The disappointing aspect of this release is the lack of the fantastic commentary track
with the cast, directors and Susie Bright, that was on the Rebublic DVD.
It is one of the most entertaining commentaries out there
this side of Tom Weaver's for Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm surprise you gave the audio a grade of 4 since reviewers on other sites have downgraded this release because it has only a 2.0 DD track instead of a lossless 5.1 track.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/324079/a-few-words-about-bound-in-blu-ray#post_3981335
I'm surprise you gave the audio a grade of 4 since reviewers on other sites have downgraded this release because is has only a 2.0 DD track instead of a lossless 5.1 track.

Crawdaddy
I noted that. Odd that they went the encoded route, rather than 5.1. The track sounded fine, and decoded well, and I removed a full point for the lack of discreet.

Don't know if that's Olive or the supplier. The master may have been original prepped for cable.

RAH

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Crawford said:
I'm surprise you gave the audio a grade of 4 since reviewers on other sites have downgraded this release because it has only a 2.0 DD track instead of a lossless 5.1 track.
Crawdaddy
Me too. A native 5.1 track being down mixed to a lossy 2.0 track seems worthy of some stronger criticism IMO.
It was reported by DVD Beaver, at least.. not sure who else, that both cuts featured separate encodes, rather than seamless branching, with each taking up in the neighborhood of half of the BD-25. Then there was an interview on Blu-ray.com with Olive where they said that was mistaken. Any chance you can confirm which is accurate?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by AnthonyP /t/324079/a-few-words-about-bound-in-blu-ray#post_3981521
Me too. A native 5.1 track being down mixed to a lossy 2.0 track seems worthy of some stronger criticism IMO.
It was reported by DVD Beaver, at least.. not sure who else, that both cuts featured separate encodes, rather than seamless branching, with each taking up in the neighborhood of half of the BD-25. Then there was an interview on Blu-ray.com with Olive where they said that was mistaken. Any chance you can confirm which is accurate?

From a purely tech perspective, and making no excuses for their selection, there would be two stereo mags that could have been pulled from inventory and used for the HD master.

The first would have been the 5.1, and the second a two-track Dolby encoded, used for the SVA optical tracks. Not sure how good the inventories are at the prod company, but that could be one of the problems, ie. Stereo Mag.

Might one dig deeper? Only if they're interested.

RAH

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The French release (which I own) contains a lossless DTS-HD track, which is one reason I bought it over the U.S. version, but the picture quality on both releases is evidently identical (utilizing the same transfer).
Also, the French version features the infamous Wachowski audio commentary (the Region 1 release doesn't), where the brothers consume enough food during the film to make Jabba the Hutt look like a total Zen-renunciant.
But yeah...overall, great film, especially for a pair of first-timers, and an auspicious beginning to a career that, in my opinion, is still going strong (I'll continue to defend the siblings to the death).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Is the French version region locked? Looks like a better option if it isn't.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
No, it plays fine on my player here in Canada. The default audio is the french version, so you have to go into the menu to select english. The menu is in french.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks