What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Born Yesterday -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The incomparable George Cukor's 1950 Born Yesterday, is so fresh today that it could probably stand a re-issue.

While we won't be lucky enough to have that, outside of an occasional high-end film festival, we can relish the new Blu-ray which has been presented to us by Columbia / Sony via Twilight Time.

As a Columbia picture, Grover Crisp's fingerprints are still fresh on this one. Scanned from the original negative, with the exception of a couple of reels which no longer exist, and with bits and pieces filled in where necessary from protection elements, Born Yesterday looks and sounds like a fresh new 35mm in projection.

Black levels, gray scale, shadow detail, grain structure, are not only in line, but honed to absolute perfection. Digital clean-up is non-intrusive. This looks superior to any 35mm print of it that I've ever seen.

Born Yesterday was nominated for five Academy Awards, inclusive of Best Motion Picture, Writing, Costume design, Directing, and Actress. Judy Holliday took home the award for her brilliant performance of the looney dame who ain't so looney.

One of the great film, and a necessary inclusion to any serious cinema library.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Darn, I saw "A few words about Born..." on the forum index and thought one of my Blu-Ray holy grails was on its way.

Would love to see Born Free be remastered and released on Blu-Ray someday. I hope Sony/Twilight Time consider that one eventually. It would especially be a great candidate for Blu-Ray thanks to all the beautiful outdoor photography that was done over in Kenya.

Somehow this title didn't mean anything to me despite being nominated for five Academy Awards (I'm more interested in the 30's and 40's), but upon looking it up, I've seen it and remember enjoying it.

I wasn't aware of its prominence, but it sounds fully deserving of getting a Blu-Ray release so I'm glad to see it.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Robert Harris said:
The incomparable George Cukor's 1950 Born Yesterday, is so fresh today that it could probably stand a re-issue.

While we won't be lucky enough to have that, outside of an occasional high-end film festival, we can relish the new Blu-ray which has been presented to us by Columbia / Sony via Twilight Time.

As a Columbia picture, Grover Crisp's fingerprints are still fresh on this one. Scanned from the original negative, with the exception of a couple of reels which no longer exist, and with bits and pieces filled in where necessary from protection elements, Born Yesterday looks and sounds like a fresh new 35mm in projection.

Black levels, gray scale, shadow detail, grain structure, are not only in line, but honed to absolute perfection. Digital clean-up is non-intrusive. This looks superior to any 35mm print of it that I've ever seen.

Born Yesterday was nominated for five Academy Awards, inclusive of Best Motion Picture, Writing, Costume design, Directing, and Actress. Judy Holliday took home the award for her brilliant performance of the looney dame who ain't so looney.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

R
I

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

I agree .. One of the greatest comedy films of all time.. Just avoid the totally unfunny remake

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Love this movie. Judy Holliday is sensational. What a voice! It is worth the price for the gin game scene alone and you will never be able to hear the song "I Can't Give you Anything But Love" without thinking of her unique rendition.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Just watched this last week and was thrilled with the quality. It was almost like seeing it for the first time.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JohnMor said:
Just watched this last week and was thrilled with the quality. It was almost like seeing it for the first time.
In many ways, it was. Just magnificent work by Mr. Crisp and his staff.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks