What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Clearly. I'm glad other people are enjoying it. I just don't care.

(However, I'm very excited to get A Star is Born next week.)
You are so damned stubborn.:D

Btw when you finally see it I predict you will love it and regret not seeing it now.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Clearly. I'm glad other people are enjoying it. I just don't care.

(However, I'm very excited to get A Star is Born next week.)

You are so damned stubborn.:D

Btw when you finally see it I predict you will love it and regret not seeing it now.
Tino, you've got to ease Mr. Lipson into these things; and by that I mean really, really gradual-like.
Anyway, Tino, like Jake has said, he's "very excited to get A Star is Bohemian".;)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
The general public wasn't buying into 3D do to several hurdles, studios weren't "forcing" people to ditch 3D and go 4K. People didn't WANT 3D at home to the level many had hope so it naturally was killed off. No secret agenda by anyone. The consumers spoke and that was it.

And I'm sure in relation to all at home viewers, 3D people are quite a small number overall now. And shrinking if their TV's are dying off.

The "general public" isnt buying into 4k discs either. The Forbes article reports that 4K discs are only a 5.3% marketplace percentage. That's lower than 3D at its height. Of course, a big title on a week-by-week can hit a high-teens pctg, but bigger 3D live-action titles had mid-20s to even an over 30% marketshare. Yet the industry called it failure. At CES back in 2016, WB exec Ron Sanders mentioned that Warner research indicated UHD is much larger than the home 3D market and that it’s most certainly not a niche product.

Uh-huh.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The "general public" isnt buying into 4k discs either. The Forbes article reports that 4K discs are only a 5.3% marketplace percentage. That's lower than 3D at its height. Of course, a big title on a week-by-week can hit a high-teens pctg, but bigger 3D live-action titles had mid-20s to even an over 30% marketshare. Yet the industry called it failure. At CES back in 2016, WB exec Ron Sanders mentioned that Warner research indicated UHD is much larger than the home 3D market and that it’s most certainly not a niche product.

Uh-huh.
Wal*Mart sold out of their 4K discs (& Blu-Rays) for BH on Tuesday - I came back on Wednesday (for something else) and they had re-stocked some of the blu-rays - They had plenty of DVDs ... :cool:

As I was watching I was reminded of another "classic" film Three Little Words :cool: ...

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We watched it in 4K/Atmos again last night with some friends. Loved it even more than the first time! Yes, there are problems with the facts in this film but DAMN, it is a kinetic rollercoaster ride almost from start to finish, the music is AMAZEBALLS, and Rami Malek is so, so good as Mercury.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
I'm still trying to figure out why some posters here and in another forum keep referring to Bohemian Rhapsody as "BH" and not "BR"...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm still trying to figure out why some posters here and in another forum keep referring to Bohemian Rhapsody as "BH" and not "BR"...
Because there's an "H" in Bohemian; and an "H" in Rhapsody; and another "H" in UHD.
We're talkin' some subliminal stuff, here.:cool:

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Now that it is available for rental, I am contemplating seeing 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. The problem is, I'm not really a fan of Queen's music. I don't hate their music, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it.

Frankly, my hesitation in watching the film is my concern that I'll despise it. And if I despise it and it wins Best Picture, then I'll despise the Academy voters.

If you wouldn't go out of your way to listen to Queen's music, then you definitely shouldn't bother watching the movie. It's greatness lies in Rami Malek's performance (which you wouldn't care about Queen's music) and the music (which you don't care for). But evidently you loved it, so that shows what I know.

And it has ZERO chance of winning Best Picture.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Both of these are great films, no question about it. Saw them both in the theater and now own both on disc. Still out of the Oscar nominees, IMO the best picture is "Roma" and the best actor should go to Willem Dafoe for his portrayal of Vincent van Gogh in "At Eternity's Gate" (which, again, IMO should have gotten a best cinematography nomination, and won too). However good Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury is, I think Dafoe's is more complex.

As far as having reached a technological peak, I disagree. More resolution is always a good thing, especially as displays will continue to get larger. But it's not sexy enough as a selling point. So we're stuck with horrible HDR, which prevents me from enjoying any 4K disc. I guess perhaps the peak was reached with HD for me :)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Our ability to properly reproduce color and audio will most assuredly make further "advances," especially with 8k on the horizon, but I'm not seeing any necessity to raise our current technical specifications, as the human eyes and ears are reasonably well tapped out.

Everything's up to date in Kansas City. T:rolleyes:hey've gone about as far as they can go. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anything associated with Bryan Singer is not going to be rewarded in the current climate.
Nope. Rami is the favorite to win best actor. Also BR will win a few technical awards too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Nope. Rami is the favorite to win best actor. Also BR will win a few technical awards too.
He'll win and it will probably take the sound awards. I meant I can't see it winning Best Picture.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have to agree with Nick. Singer's issues have effectively torpedoed any chance that BR had of winning Best Picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks