What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blow-Up -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A brilliant film that resonates.

Want a double-feature night?
Show "Blow-Up" first and then pop in "The Conversation".

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yup, seconded! Criterion UK drip feeds a few titles in the UK. I want Blow-Up & One-Eyed Jacks, but I don't know if Criterion even has the world rights to these, or if they can only release them in America. I'd really hoped that Blow-Up would be an Archive release, no extras, but I'm not that bothered about extras these days, just a great looking transfer.

Criterion's UK release pattern does seem odd. They have released Warner's MILDRED PIERCE in the UK (it looks fantastic) so one would think they could also do BLOW UP.

Going a bit of topic, last week's Criterion UK release of CUL-DE-SAC puzzles me because Screenbound have also released it this week (a few months ago Screenbound released a box set of CUL-DE-SAC, KNIFE IN THE WATER and REPULSION but they have now released all three discs separately). The Criterion which is locked to region B version has an MGM logo. The Screenbound is all-region and has a copyright of Euro London Films. There must surely be something wrong here. Two distributors can't have the rights for the same film at the same time?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Can someone explain please .......WHY.......... Criterian have not so far announced a release date for this great movie in the UK..........????????????? .........if Criterian want to release other lesser movies on BD that are not selling well in UK ......why not release BLOW UP which would sell pretty well.......the DVD was released in the UK like USA by Warner ..............so what is the problem ???????????????????

Because there is always a time lag between the moment Criterion releases a disc in America and the moment it comes out in the U. K.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I'd suggest that either film would work well with De Palma's BLOW OUT.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris, I'm one of the people whose never seen this film. I'm really curious now. I'd often wondered if it was related to DePalma's Blow Out which I have seen once theatrically. I have that film on the Criterion Blow Out blu-ray which I've not watched yet. So I was surprised to read the basic idea of Blow Up, so now I'm curious to add it to my list of titles to view.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
For anyone yet to see BLOW OUT it's not going to spoil the plot if I tell you about the opening scene. John Travolta plays a sound recordist out late at night to record FX near a road. He has the type of mic, SENNHEISER 805, which was the usual one to use back then.

You see him holding the long silver mic and moving it around to focus on the sounds he hears.

However, because it's so sensitive to distant sounds (it's called a rifle mic) it was essential to use it assembled in a Rycote protective windproof plastic case and also, probably, use the further protection of a furry shroud. Otherwise all you'll hear is wind noise blowing into the mic.

But, despite the film being attended (of course) by a professional location sound crew they were obviously overuled by an ignorant genius who regarded a two foot long slim silver mic as more attractive than the Rycote and furry essential for the task.

Yes, it's only a fiction film but as an ex-location recordist I find the depiction very stupid.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, seconded! Criterion UK drip feeds a few titles in the UK. I want Blow-Up & One-Eyed Jacks, but I don't know if Criterion even has the world rights to these, or if they can only release them in America. I'd really hoped that Blow-Up would be an Archive release, no extras, but I'm not that bothered about extras these days, just a great looking transfer.

Oh well, I see Arrow are releasing One-Eyed Jacks in the UK in the summer, now for Blow-Up, I'd think it would be Criterion UK seeing as it's a Warner title.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
As a young film student in college when I first saw this in my class on Existential Film, I was completely enthralled by its mystery and twisting of reality, and it has a magical quality that often goes unmentioned.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry

My favorite to pair with this is Fahrenheit 451. Not for any thematic resemblance, but I find they both have a similar strange, detached feel. Also they're from the same year, and David Hemmings and Oskar Werner looks as if they could be brothers.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Now that you have all expressed your excitement. Perhaps you could tell me what the $&@%# is going on in this almost completely incomprehensible film.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Now that you have all expressed your excitement. Perhaps you could tell me what the $&@%# is going on in this almost completely incomprehensible film.

OK, well see there is this character named Neo and he discovers the world is not exactly what it seems when one day in the park he takes a photo and discovers that something in the photo reveals something is not quite right...then this guy Morpheus shows up...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What is reality?

What's real & what's not real, & does it really matter. Remember, a lot of European cinema is not big on plot, that's only there to give the leads a reason to get out of bed in the morning (or not to!). They started filming this with a 24 page script, just go with the flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks