What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blow Out -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Brian De Palma is the king of the homage, and moving away from Hitchcock, he pays tribute to Michelangelo Antonioni's Blow-up, one of my favorites of the era, with his 1981 Blow Out. In addition one can find undercurrents of Francis Ford Coppola's 1974 The Conversation

Derived from the original camera negative, Criterion's new Blu-ray is stunning, with not a problem is sight.

A terrific film that deserves to be in any serious Blu-ray collection.

Recommended.

RAH

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
I should have my copy in a few days from now! Really looking forward to it. And it includes an early De Palma film as a bonus feature! Criterion does it again.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The HD interviews with Brian De Palma and Nancy Allen are also a great treat, with De Palma revealing that the negatives to the most crucial action sequences in the film ... were stolen from a truck on its way from Philadelphia to Los Angeles. And obviously not a film fan since they never turned up anywhere. He had to shoot the entire climax sequence all over again. And when you see how complicated it is, you just have to imagine him going, "Oy, vey!" (or pulling whatever hair he had left out).

Hearing that story reminded me that it WAS a big story in Hollywood when it originally happened.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Yeah, apparently Zsigmond had to moved on to another shoot (perhaps it was Jinxed!), so the end was re-shot - uncredited - by Lazlo Kovacs.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I concur that this bluray looks outstanding. A perfect transfer of a great film, probably Depalmas and Travoltas best.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I bought my copy and watched it as soon as I got home. Looks fantastic on my display. One of my favorite movies ever. I think it's easily Travolta's best work as an actor. He and Nancy Allen have great chemistry.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
In my top 5 favorite films, and, for me, infinitely better than the two films that most people say it is copying. Travolta's finest performance, and one of Donaggio's greatest scores. The disc is wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks