What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blood and Sand -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Robert Crawford said:
Thanks for clarifying the problem as I thought maybe, my eyesight was failing. I thought you had a projector, what display you use then?
Just a regular old 50" LED (even teenier than yours!)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well, I watched it again (with the CORRECT resolution output) and jeeze what a difference in the depth, definition and color! Although far from perfect and still something of a sow's ear, it is a VERY pretty sow's ear indeed!

I hate to go off on an unrelated tangent but it really pisses me off that my Samsung blu-ray (which I do NOT love as much as the far simpler but "heftier" Samsung it replaced :mellow: ) even HAS such a setting and that their naming system defies logic. AUTO upconverts anything LESS than 1080 but passes 1080i and 1080p material unmolested which is what we want. If you choose ANY of the other resolution options it ALWAYS scales to that choice regardless, resulting in the sad ugly 1080p processed to 1080p mess I watched last night. Now, logically, one would think that setting the resolution to 1080p SHOULD be the correct option so how many people out there have done just that, thinking it's going to give the best picture? Makes no sense! Never mind that it also has a Deep Color AUTO or OFF choice that, since Deep Color doesn't actually exist in the source or the display shouldn't theoretically make any difference but it does.

Anyway, pardon my indulgence and apologies again for getting it so wrong last night. Cheers!

Real Name
Paul Thrussell
Theoretical preservation question for Mr. Harris and others in the know:

For films such as this where the original three-strip negs have been junked or lost, is it possible to rectify at least some of the registration/sharpness issues (aside from the generational quality loss) by scanning the Eastman dupe negative color layers separately or simply splitting the scan's color channels and then realigning them, similar to the Ultra Resolution process? I seem to recall it mentioned that one of the color layers from Rear Window was taken from another source due to the faded negative, which suggests it might be possible.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, but only sharpness, as affected by mis-registration. This has been done. What you're seeing on the Blu-ray is far better than what survived on film.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks