What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blood Alley & The Sea Chase -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched Blood Alley last night. I'd never owned the DVD and had only seen the movie once on television many years ago, so this was like seeing it for the first time in some ways. It's not one of Wayne's best action films, but it had its moments. I know Warners did what they could with the elements, but I found the picture quality erratic, alternately soft and sharp and the color variable, too. But I guess this is typical of WarnerColor and the film stock of the era. But the Blu-rays of Bad Day at Black Rock and Love Me or Leave Me from the same era (different color processing, of course) leaves Blood Alley in the dust.
Which is why Warner has been hesitant to release other classic films onto Blu-ray with questionable film elements to work from. They're damn if they do or don't because there is no escaping criticism no matter what decision they make in regard to releasing or not.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm certainly not criticizing Warners' work which is and always has been exemplary (and which I've always been quick to praise). I was simply noting the VAST difference in the visual acuity between Blood Alley and, say, Bad Day at Black Rock. Isn't is OK to make such comparisons?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm certainly not criticizing Warners' work which is and always has been exemplary (and which I've always been quick to praise). I was simply noting the VAST difference in the visual acuity between Blood Alley and, say, Bad Day at Black Rock. Isn't is OK to make such comparisons?
It's still a critique! To answer your question with mine own, is it alright to express an opinion about why Warner is hesitant to release some titles on Blu-ray because the critique of those releases might not be on par with Bad Day at Black Rock? I'm not trying to be argumentative or challenge your opinion, just stating mine that certain Blu-ray titles might be derived from inferior film elements which is why Warner hasn't released many RKO titles for example.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Also one should take into account that the vast difference in appearance for many films is not always related to the film's age but sometimes due to the original processes used, for instance long cut vs. short cut opticals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks