What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blade Runner -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Zoinks!!!

Well, hopefully that'll help out for next time. :)

Whenever I want something specific from BB, I buy it online for in-store pickup. That saves a lot of time (plus I can go through eBates.com).

Of course, the ONE time I had 'em ship something, they sent the wrong item and I had to go to the store to swap it anyway!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you don't have to actually buy it online.

you can put it in the cart and then from the cart check in store availaility.
for nearly every instance if it allows for in store pick up, this also means it is in stock

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, but there's no guarantee that a hot title will still be in stock by the time you get there, if you don't reserve it online first. Might as well just place the order online before going to pick it up. It's really just a reservation, not actual purchase, until you do the pickup anyway. If you don't pick it up w/in a week (or whatever the limit is), your order gets cancelled as far as I can tell. I find this in-store pickup feature to be especially useful when I want to buy multiple on-sale titles and can lock in reservations at a particular store.

As for my BR BD set, I'm eagerly waiting for delivery from Amazon. Should arrive anyday now. :D

_Man_

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I just caught the first disk on the blu ray version of this release. This was fantastic. I was actually startled at how good it sounded, since I haven't heard much comment on that aspect. I can't wait to get into some of the extras.

JackKay

Second Unit
Just got to see it in HD-DVD and wow. Didn't think my TV could look so good.

The 25th 3 CD set is excellent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alright, finally going to watch this release on my new Panny-BD30. Which version should I watch first then next? No knock against the film, but I think twice in one day is all I can take in watching this film. If I remember correctly, the theater was relatively empty the first time I watched this film 25 years ago. It sure has generated a lot of interest since then.:)

Crawdaddy

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, if you have a new player, shouldn't you watch it on that first? ;) I think that's how I'd decide it if I were you. :D OTOH, I suppose it might be good to watch it first on something tried-and-true, particularly if you want to avoid a potential setup problem (or simply defective player/firmware) from marring your enjoyment of the film. :P

EDIT: NVM what I said before. No idea why I thought you have it on both HDD and BD formats, LOL. :P I plan to go straight to The Final Cut myself when mine arrives...

_Man_

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
you're not a first time viewer Robert, but if you were I would strongly recommend the international cut. I firmly believe that previous knowledge of information contained in the voice over is very useful in informing ones viewing of the Final or Directors cut.

Watched most of the Dangerous Days doc last night. Nothing to add beyond others comments. Its a remarkable piece of work in its own right. I used to think Empire of Dreams was the gold standard for these, but this is even more comprehensive and exhaustive. I was very surpised to see so much contribution from the financier who was holding up the discs release for so long- and the mostly favorable comments he had about Scott.
Hell of a piece of work.

This set is an absolute steal at the retail price.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I'd reccomend the new director's cut as the first viewing. Let that be the one that settles into your brain as the definitive version to compare others against... you've got a rare opportunity to "see it fresh" versus many of us who have the existing theatrical and DC versions almost memorized.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I've been looking forward to digging into this set since it was announced. Got some $$ for Christmas, so I ordered the HD-DVD 5-disc set from Amazon. It arrived yesterday, and last night I settled down in the cave for a viewing of the original theatrical cut. It's been a long time, but I'm still amazed at the spectacle of this film. Tonight, I'm going to check out the international cut. I have guests in from out of town, so I can't just sequester myself. But it'll be nice to saturate my brain with some Blade Runner goodness.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

So far, my preference is for the international cut, followed by the director's cut. I like the final cut, but I prefer the Ford voice over.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

for some reason I read your post to mean that you hadn't seen the film in 25 years, though reading it a second time I realize that's not what you meant. Enjoy!

dave :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the voice over outtakes in the doc are remarkable. In fact, the whole discussion of the voice over business was one of the most interesting passages to me.

Robert, any reason you prefer the Directors cut over the Final Cut?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Having watched the deleted scenes with the old voice over, I have to say that I really like that version of the VO. I think they should have used it. I have always hated the VO that was in the release version of the movie. I hated it in 82 and I still hate it. I tried to watch the theatrical cut and I just can't get past it.

Doug

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Still waiting for my set from Amazon...good thing I pre-ordered in August!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me revise my preferences, first is the international cut, theatrical cut then the final cut version. I prefer the voice over in the film because it supplys information that is essential to me as a viewer of the film or maybe, I just like it in the film. The final cut version which I first viewed in a movie theater several weeks ago in Detroit would've been the best version for me if it had the voice over.

Crawdaddy

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
The first time I ever saw 'BR' was theatrically when the first "Director's Cut" was released, and I don't recall any difficulty in figuring out what was happening. I'm sure I missed some nuances of the story which made for enjoyable repeat viewings on home video. I have to this day not been able to endure watching the original 'theatrical' version in its entirety...not sure that I have even heard the entire narration yet, but frankly it makes me cringe. I agree the outtake narration from the deleted scenes was somewhat better (though not enough for me to desire it back in the film). My personal preference is for the "Final Cut", and I don't think the lack of voice-over would detract from an initial viewing.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I really enjoyed the International version. I'd never seen it before. The minute or so it had beyond the Theatrical version was nice. It's hard to understand how those tidbits were deleted por Estados Unidos y America de nord...? Why?

I really like the voice-over versions. Ford or his facsimile voice sets a tone to me that I like and agrees with my viewpoint of mankind. I think man is an unchanging creature. Technology may change around man but he changes very little. I think the voice-over demonstrates a future where Deckkard seems so much like someone we might know in the here and now. It adds that noir feel. It's all a bit more detached without the voice-over to me.

I don't hate the versions without the voice-overs. Back in the LD dayz I had the original film, Criterion and the Director's cut. I'd switch back and forth between viewing the pair. That's what I'll do in the future, I'm sure. I liked the Final cut when I watched it for the first time on BD last week. It's not gonna be my preferred version. I'm just not gonna have an absolutely, preferred version, I doubt....

Like Crawdaddy, I'm Blade Runnered out for awhile.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

that's why, as much as I enjoyed my viewing of the FC last week, I'm hesitant to keeping dipping into the set this soon. I didn't have enough time for another movie the other night, which is the only reason I watched part of the doc at this point. When I was a kid I could stay in the theater and watch 3 showings of a movie in a single day- Now I'm very wary of getting burned out on a film- which can easily happen if I watch it even twice in the same year.

It's likely going to be at least six months before I watch any of the other versions...probably longer.
Next time I'll cue up the Int Cut. There is definitely value in some of the information contained in the narration- though it was very funny to see Darabont go off on it's use in the climax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks