What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blade Runner -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Make sure your HDR setting is at standard setting.

I viewed this 4K/UHD disc earlier today. What a wonderful experience. It was my first Dolby Atmos disc since Jeff Meier completed his audio calibration of my 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos system on Tuesday. The audio presentation was simply outstanding. Even though my OLED65E6P was calibrated earlier this year, he made some tweaks to it. I didn't find this disc too bright at all. A great looking disc!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, some people received the 4K Blade Runner package with:
1. 4K Blade Runner Final Cut disc
2. Standard Blu-ray Blade Runner Final Cut disc
3. DVD version of Dangers Days: Making of Blade Runner
4. DVD version of Blade Runner Enhancement Archive
Other people received:
1. 4K Blade Runner Final Cut disc
2. Standard Blu-ray Blade Runner Final Cut disc
3. DVD version of Dangers Days: Making of Blade Runner
4. Standard Blu-ray of alternate versions of Blade Runner

What an idiotic mess! And there are complaints about the image quality of the Final Cut on the standard Blu-ray.

Mark
In bold is what I received. I'll hold onto my 2007 5-disc Blu-ray set for the Workprint version on Blu-ray and the Blade Runner Enhancement Archive on DVD. All of those Bonus Materials that are not versions of the actual film are in either 480i or 480p anyway. Those alternative versions of the film are in 1080p.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
In bold is what I received. I'll hold onto my 2007 5-disc Blu-ray set for the Workprint version on Blu-ray and the Blade Runner Enhancement Archive on DVD. All of those Bonus Materials that are not versions of the actual film are in either 480i or 480p anyway. Those alternative versions of the film are in 1080p.
Robert, Did you contact Warner Bros about the DVD vs Blu-ray as suggested by your post in Todd's review thread? If so, please keep us posted about what you learn.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Make sure your HDR setting is at standard setting.

I viewed this 4K/UHD disc earlier today. What a wonderful experience. It was my first Dolby Atmos disc since Jeff Meier completed his audio calibration of my 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos system on Tuesday. The audio presentation was simply outstanding. Even though my OLED65E6P was calibrated earlier this year, he made some tweaks to it. I didn't find this disc too bright at all. A great looking disc!

I thought it was lovely too, these older movies coming in UHD are going to break the bank.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Blade Runner Final Cut is going to screen at Seattle Cinerama week of 9/29. I shouldn't spend the money but I want to go so badly.

BRUN.JPG

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
Leon blows his interviewer through a wall with a hidden weapon, and several shots show the victim in motion, but ends way-y too abruptly with the man hitting the edge of a table and then cuts to the next sequence seeming prematurely. Shouldn't there have been a number of additional frames on the table shot? Always bugged me. Still does.

Oh my god, no. This is absolutely intentional. It's one of my favorite cuts in the whole film. I still remember seeing that cut in a dark theater way back in 1982 and kind of snapping to attention. Like, "Oh, it's going to be that kind of movie." I love it.

Of course you're absolutely right that it feels like frames are missing, and that's why it's so very effective as a closer to the prologue that begin with such long tracking shots, pushing forward and looking out over the Los Angeles futurescape. I do I think it's magnificent.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Oh my god, no. This is absolutely intentional. It's one of my favorite cuts in the whole film. I still remember seeing that cut in a dark theater way back in 1982 and kind of snapping to attention. Like, "Oh, it's going to be that kind of movie." I love it.

Of course you're absolutely right that it feels like frames are missing, and that's why it's so very effective as a closer to the prologue that begin with such long tracking shots, pushing forward and looking out over the Los Angeles futurescape. I do I think it's magnificent.

Well, that's a cool take on it, Bryant. I personally still find it jarring, but it's really a very minor thing for me. And I am sure you're correct that it was intentional, seeing as how it appears that way in each version of the film and in numerous video releases. Every other second of the film I find absolutely delightful.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Since my earlier post regarding this title, written after I had watched only the first thirty minutes of the film, my 4K disc of BR locked up just after the 59m mark (at exactly the point where the laser disc had a side break). I returned it to Amazon for an exchange and instead they gave me a credit. I went back to Amazon to re-purchase it and now find they aren't even stocking it! I'd have to pay twice the original amount to get it from a third-party seller.

Did the first printing run out? Will it be reissued? Is Amazon only temporarily out of stock? Why are eBay sellers already trying to get the big bucks for it, and why are people bidding so high?

Hell with it, I'll get it on Amazon UK for less than anyone here is charging, shipping included.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Apparently they were being inconsistent with which discs they were including in the set so they pulled the title to work on the problem.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I purchased 4K Blade Runner at Best Buy. I ended up with the 4K disc, a standard Blu-ray with the Final Cut version only, and two DVDs. I think I would have preferred a standard Blu-ray with the other two versions instead of one of the DVDs. Who knows if Warner Bros is ever going to figure out what was *supposed* to be in the case. You'd think there would be a press release forthcoming. Whatever.

Watched the 4K version of Final Cut with a friend on Saturday night. EXCELLENT presentation! Very much felt like watching film. When used right, I think HDR enhances that feeling. That, plus the fine grain available with a true 4K scan.

Now I'm all set for BR 2049. Will probably see it on Tuesday of next week (busy with other things this weekend). So far, the RT critic score looks very promising (currently 96%).

Mark

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I think the fifth version - the Workprint - is not included on this new release.

And the DVD version of Blade Runner Enhancement Archive is missing from this set, as well, unless you end up with the alternate (incorrect) packaging of the UHD set.

Makes me think there will be a six disk edition later, containing the work print and the Enhancement Archive.

If they include a BR version of the Dangerous Days documentary in a later six disk edition, I'll be sad I didn't wait....

So far, gotta keep both the old 5 disk set and this new UHD set in order to have "everything".

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Only $17.99 right now at Best Buy. Free shipping too.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-...-blu-ray-blu-ray-2007/6036100.p?skuId=6036100

Order online for in-store pick-up and get another $10 towards a future purchase:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/custom...up/pcmcat218900050012.c?id=pcmcat218900050012

Amazon is pricing matching this for the time being. Too late in my case, though, as my copy arrived in today's mail from Best Buy. I missed out on the Black Friday deal, but was able to take advantage of this one thanks to Craig's post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks