What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blade Runner -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My Best Buy order has shipped and is already at my local post office. I'll be watching it tomorrow.!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The player I was using is the same one that I'm using now: the Samsung K8500. I checked to see if there was a setting to turn on conversion that I might have missed. There isn't, so the player should be doing that conversion automatically if it has the capability to do so. All I know is that with my early testing, using the K8500, playing 4K discs out to my plasma resulted in too dark a picture. It might be different now.

I too have a Panny plasma that I don't plan to replace any time soon, and a new Sony X800 player.

The Sony has a 1-5 setting when converting HDR to SDR. I got my first 4K discs last week, and the 1st disc I tried (the remake of The Magnificent Seven) was indeed way too dark at the default setting of 3 when compared to the BR. In fact, I found that a setting of 1 was needed to match the overall brightness of the BR. No telling if the BR was from the same transfer as the 4K, but at default, the converted image from the HDR disc was not really watchable.

Interesting that the manual for the Sony says that the higher the setting the closer the image will be to true HDR. I have never seen a true HDR image, but at least in my rig, I need to lower the HDR/SDR conversion setting.

In case someone asks why not just play the BR, it is because I want the Atmos soundtrack which is only on the 4K disc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
All,

Heads up if you're an Amazon Prime member and want to score a possible sizable discount on the BR UHD, order right now (09/03). Apparently this title is on pre-order, back order. My estimated delivery date wasn't until 9/11 even though I have 2 day free Prime shipping. I live chatted a CSR at Amazon about the delayed arrival date and the person told me the situation and then said they would discount the order by 40% (which comes out to $22 and some change). If you were on the fence, give it a shot.

I would assume that one needs to chat with a CSR to get the extra discount? Seems like a big YMMV.

EDIT: Yep, just chatted with an Amazon CSR and came up empty-handed. Told her that Best Buy, Target, etc. will have this title available on release day, the 5th, and asked why Amazon was delaying it until the 12th. Got some run-around about suppliers, order levels, second shipments, etc. Then I mentioned that Best Buy was selling it for $29.99 while Amazon's price was $33.07. She wouldn't do a price match. Sooo, off I went and ordered it from Best Buy. Nice fail, Amazon.

Last edited:

Robert George

Screenwriter
I got my shipping confirmation from Amazon with delivery scheduled for Tuesday. Shipped price was $27.83. Doesn't really matter on the price. Being one of an age that still clearly remembers collecting laserdiscs, I would have cheerfully paid the $42 list price for this one and considered it a bargain.

Of course, I have owned this film in virtually every video incarnation since VHS. Indeed, the very first prerecorded tape I ever viewed was "Bladerunner" in Beta format on a friend's heinously expensive Betamax deck on a 25" TV. Some years ago, the "Director's Cut" was making a limited run in some theaters. I recall feeling particularly fortunate that one of the theaters in my relatively small town chose to run it for a few days. I showed up on opening Friday night and sat down with, literally, two other people and marveled at the beat-to-shit print on a theater size screen.

Now I will get a fully restored, 4K UHD screening of what has become my personal favorite version of the film, Scott's "final cut", in my living room on a calibrated 85" screen (Samsung) fed by a an Oppo 4K player with Atmos audio courtesy of high-end Yamaha decoding into a 7.2.2 speaker system (B&W and Velodyne).

Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I would assume that one needs to chat with a CSR to get the extra discount? Seems like a big YMMV.

EDIT: Yep, just chatted with an Amazon CSR and came up empty-handed. Told her that Best Buy, Target, etc. will have this title available on release day, the 5th, and asked why Amazon was delaying it until the 12th. Got some run-around about suppliers, order levels, second shipments, etc. Then I mentioned that Best Buy was selling it for $29.99 while Amazon's price was $33.07. She wouldn't do a price match. Sooo, off I went and ordered it from Best Buy. Nice fail, Amazon.

Wow, and you're a Prime member I take it? That seems like pretty shitty service if you're a prime member. I might have escalated just in principle for being given a run around like that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, I'm a Prime member. It was just too much trouble to deal with it though, so I chose to vote with my wallet. I agree that it was a pretty lame response on Amazon's part. I mean come on, I thought they'd at least price match Best Buy. No dice.

Miles

Second Unit
Have any Canucks been able to find this one? It doesn't seem to be up for preorder anywhere

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
So the delay was caused by a packaging error. I bunch of packages where shipped with the 3 movie Blu-ray instead of the DVD. So they pulled them back but produce enough to fulfill all orders. I got mine yesterday from Amazon and correct. However, I know a few people that got the incorrect package. So anyway that is why you can get it right now and also why several places like Amazon and Best Buy didn't have enough to complete all pre-orders.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So the delay was caused by a packaging error. I bunch of packages where shipped with the 3 movie Blu-ray instead of the DVD. So they pulled them back but produce enough to fulfill all orders. I got mine yesterday from Amazon and correct. However, I know a few people that got the incorrect package. So anyway that is why you can get it right now and also why several places like Amazon and Best Buy didn't have enough to complete all pre-orders.
Just to make sure I'm clear, this release should contain the following:

4K/UHD Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: US Theatrical Cut, International Cut & Director's Cut
DVD Disc of Blade Runner: Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Just to make sure I'm clear, this release should contain the following:

4K/UHD Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: US Theatrical Cut, International Cut & Director's Cut
DVD Disc of Blade Runner: Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner

Correct...

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, whatever the case, this is a bitch to find right now. Amazon is "out of stock." Best Buy is "sold out." eBay scalpers are trying to get upwards of $90. for copies, and bidding on some auctions is topping the retail price of the release.

I am assuming this will eventually emerge in corrected form so that I can actually purchase it. It's one of the handful of 4k titles I feel is a "must own now."

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well, whatever the case, this is a bitch to find right now. Amazon is "out of stock." Best Buy is "sold out." eBay scalpers are trying to get upwards of $90. for copies, and bidding on some auctions is topping the retail price of the release.

I am assuming this will eventually emerge in corrected form so that I can actually purchase it. It's one of the handful of 4k titles I feel is a "must own now."
Ah - I know how you're feeling! Amazon.co.uk has the 2-disc 4K edition in stock ($34 to Norway after VAT is deducted, if priority shipping is chosen). Not sure how long their priority shipping takes to the good ol' US of A, but I receive mine in Norway the day after shipping.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runn...504787109&sr=1-1&keywords=blade+runner+4k+uhd

The 4-disc version is coming out in a couple of weeks, for those who absolutely, positively got to have a booklet:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runn...=8-1&keywords=blade+runner+4k+special+edition

and even a steelbook in November (although that doesn't have 4K printed on it, so not sure what versions that one will contain)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runn...477&sr=8-1&keywords=blade+runner+4k+steelbook

Can't quite figure out why Warner Bros is pumping them out in the UK market, and not over in your territory?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, it's tempting to get this, but I think I'll wait until the inevitable super duper platinum release: the one where every cut is 4K UHD, the WP is included and the doc is at minimum in HD.

I figure it will come out just as 8K TV sets become affordable, so we can do it all over again.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Got mine yesterday. Amazon even gave me back the credit I mentioned earlier even though I ended up receiving mine on time. Guess I lucked out this time.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I take the Back Order - Sold Out - Out of Stock alerts as wonderful news; as it may hopefully become the latest argument or victory for the future of 4K UHD and its physical media.:)
Let's hope so; and may the floodgates burst open towards other 70mm titles.:thumbs-up-smiley:
P.S. My thanks to all technicians and archivists who saw this one through.:cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks