1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Blade Runner 2049 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Message #41 of 49 Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    My wife and I watched this last night and I wholeheartedly agree. This is a reference release, and the movie played even better for me the second time around. It's just a BEAUTIFUL film. Denis Villeneuve really is a unique filmmaker, and I can't wait to see what he does with his adaptation of Dune.

2. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Wasn't this the earlier film you mention:
    [​IMG]

B-ROLL likes this.
  3. Message #43 of 49 Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Guess I'll have to disagree. This thing sounded fantastic on my home set-up and the PQ of the 4K disc was much better than the 3D version I saw at the theatre. I'd never bother watching the 3D version of this particular film again. The film played much better for me while watching it tonight than it did in the theatre.

4. Ryan Barrett

Ryan Barrett Agent

Ryan Barrett
    Watched my 4K last night - absolutely beautiful film and stunning transfer. What an absolutely frustrating watch though...I don't think I've ever had a stronger feeling during a motion about wanting to love something, but being unable to. There is so much about BLADE RUNNER 2049 to love and admire...but I often found it that it got bogged down under its philosophizing and wandering set-pieces. I finished watching the film and kept thinking about how I wanted to revisit it, but also couldn't help thinking that it feels its length. I think the film could've easily lost 15-30 minutes...there's a "perfect" motion picture here..it just needs some of the fat trimmed from it.

5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I’ve now watched about half the film in 3D and think it looks terrific on my LG OLED. The words above looked crystal clear on my set.

The 3D is much better than I was expecting. Nor is it as dark as I was expecting.

Jimbo64, Josh Steinberg and dpippel like this.
  6. RJ992

RJ992 Supporting Actor

Joel
    The 3D on my LG actually looked brighter than what I saw with the 2D theatrical presentation I was at. And, except for the flyover in the storm, depth was better than I was expecting. While certainly not demo-worthy, the enhancement does draw the viewer into its world better than 2D. (Haven't seen the 4k yet, tho eventually I will. It's just always a distraction seeing 2D after 3D...you're always aware of what's missing.)

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  7. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    Really enjoyed watching the blu-ray 3D version on this film as I feel it is a very well done conversion. Had only seen if flat before the the added depth was a real plus in many scenes as in the halls and rooms with the water reflections. So much more exciting than 4K. It truly sucks the studios are taking blu-ray versions away from the USA.

Jimbo64 likes this.
  8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I loved the 3D version too but the 4K version is superior on almost every level I thought. The Atmos alone makes the 4K worth it. What didn’t you like about the 4K presentation?

dpippel likes this.
  9. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    Just watched this one (released in the UK yesterday) and it is one of the rare films these days that I saw in the cinema first. There, I found the booming soundtrack far too loud and it spoilt the experience somewhat. Here, on the smaller screen it works absolutely fine and if anything, seemed better paced the second time around! I like the nod to the earlier film in both some of the visuals and in the use of some of Vangelis's music cues. It looks great in 4k and it is one that I will return to I'm sure. A worthy successor indeed.