What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Black Panther -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Since 4k UHD Blu-rays arrived on the planet in March of 2016, there has been a dearth of true 4k product.

With well over 300 releases to date, I doubt that 20% are fully 4k data, as opposed to up-rezzed 2k.

One of the early ethics of new technology has generally been to flood the marketplace with second quality product -- productions that might not sell if not in whatever new format -- as if that new system that one has added must be kept fed at all times.

Black Panther, a "moderately successful" film, released theatrically this past January is one of those special productions that can join those happy few at the pinnacle of 4k-dom.

An interesting mashup of genres, and styles, it's nice to finally have a production of this weight with a black director (Ryan Coogler) at the helm, and a substantively black cast leading the film to it's international success.

Yes, I'm aware of the joke about Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis being the Tolkien white guys...

Me and Velma ain't dumb.

Magnificently produced, and using all the requisite digital magic available to the filmmakers, Black Panther on 4k Blu-ray in UHD, HDR, and its track via Dolby Atmos, is needle sharp, with extremely highly resolved imagery, and a huge soundstage and proscenium.

Shot in large format digital, it doesn't get any better than this.

Reference quality from Disney?

Absolutely.

But again, what's important here, is that we're being allowed a pure 4k disc, of entertainment at the highest quality.

Not to belabor the point, but of the 300 or so discs in distribution, I'd bet that 50 have no rationale even being in the format.

This example is so gorgeous, that it may be that rara avis that pushes consumers to make the upgrade to 4k and possibly Atmos.

Perfection all the way.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm hoping this isn't one of those situations where RAH can't say anything nice so he isn't saying anything. Every other reviewer seems to be pretty smitten with this release.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Thank you for your typically authoritative review and I will be adding this to my collection - despite having tired of the "superhero" genre. Black Panther is outrageously entertaining and now it has the premier 4K disc to boot.

This last weekend I watched Saving Private Ryan and Phantom Thread, which were both extraordinary, projected. Then I fished out Criterion's first blu ray release from 2008, Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket. In 2008, it got great reviews and I remember how chuffed I was, projecting it with a Panasonic 720p projector for my friends. However, now, after being subjected to state-of-the-art 4K projection, it was substantial downgrade to see Bottle Rocket again. Even the Columbia Pictures logo at the start was dull and lifeless, with lack of detail and the feature itself is full of halos and other digital artefacts. Home cinema has really come a long way during the last ten years!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you for your typically authoritative review and I will be adding this to my collection - despite having tired of the "superhero" genre. Black Panther is outrageously entertaining and now it has the premier 4K disc to boot.

This last weekend I watched Saving Private Ryan and Phantom Thread, which were both extraordinary, projected. Then I fished out Criterion's first blu ray release from 2008, Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket. In 2008, it got great reviews and I remember how chuffed I was, projecting it with a Panasonic 720p projector for my friends. However, now, after being subjected to state-of-the-art 4K projection, it was substantial downgrade to see Bottle Rocket again. Even the Columbia Pictures logo at the start was dull and lifeless, with lack of detail and the feature itself is full of halos and other digital artefacts. Home cinema has really come a long way during the last ten years!

HD Blu-ray is 25% resolution of 4k.

A bit of a difference, especially in projection

On a 32” panel, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks