What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Billy Bathgate & Blaze -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Benton's 1991 Billy Bathgate is an okay film, from a terrific team of filmmakers.

Based upon the novel by E.L. Doctorow, the film plays like a Scorsese wannabe.

The Blu-ray however, is another story, as Mill Creek continues to release the secondary Touchstone titles. This is a good looking disc. Audio is DTS-HD MA 2.0, and it works just fine.

Bathgate is packaged as a double feature with Blaze, an 1989 production from Ron Shelton, better known for his sports oriented films, such as Bull Durham, Cobb and Tin Cup.

Of the two, Blaze, which stars Paul Newman and Lolita Davidovich (as Blaze Starr), is the better film, but a slightly less appealing Blu-ray, while still very acceptable. Apparently struck from an IP, the film has a bit of occasional detritus, which could have been easily removed.

Both films were lensed by cinematographers, who make viewing worthwhile just to see their work.

Bathgate was shot by Nestor Almendros, and Blaze by with its more gritty appearance, by Haskell Wexler.

At the moment, the Blu-ray is priced at a point to make it irresistible - $4.99 at Amazon for two films.

Worth the price of admission?

Definitely.

Billy Bathgate

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Blaze

Image - 3.25

Audio - 5

RAH

L

Larry-Bender

I ordered a double bill of THE DOCTOR and STELLA on blu. I would like to see BELOVED from Mill Creek also.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow, has it really been over 20 years since Billy Bathgate came out??

At any rate, this release totally flew under my radar. At $4.99 it seems like it's worth a pickup. Thanks, RAH!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks