1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Bend of the River - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 3, 2019.

1. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Second Unit

I second that motion!

2. rcmeserve

rcmeserve Extra

John Alton’s phenomenal cinematography alone would justify an upgrade to HD. But the film as a whole is an overlooked classic.

The plight of Robert Taylor’s character may easily be seen, and was perhaps meant, as a metaphor for that of black veterans returning from WWII. The screenplay is uncompromising, the performances uniformly excellent, and Mann’s direction absolutely inspired.

Yes, you have to accept that the Indian parts are all played by non-Indians. But this is a movie that only improves on repeated viewings. And it deserves the best presentation possible.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  3. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I saw a bit of a 1950 Universal western on TCM (UK) this afternoon Frenchie, with Joel McCrea & Shelly Winters, & I thought it looked stunning, beautiful colours, no fringing & as clean as a whistle, so Universal can do it when they want to.

Flashgear likes this.
  4. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Second Unit

It was screwed by "Broken Arrow" coming out just before which took away from the "first film to be sympathetic to Native Americans" angle. Although, the sympathy in "Arrow' is rather tepid compared to "Doorway."

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

A DVD of Frenchie was recently released in Germany and it looks great. Surprised they didn't do a blu too.