What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ben-Hur -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Lidenbrock

Agent
Real Name
Albert GC
RobertSiegel said:
What a great thread and fantastic reading. I love the film, it's one of my all-time favorites and am so happy with the transfer.
I just completed my column over at Blu-ray.com on the film, took a month of research and searching for graphics and old lettrers, so if you love the movie, The link is on the front page at the top left marked "The Silver Screen."
Great article. Haya Harareet...whatever happened to her? I know she married Jack Clayton, but then she suddenly vanished and was never seen again (on the screen).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by RobertSiegel /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/120#post_3855048
What a great thread and fantastic reading. I love the film, it's one of my all-time favorites and am so happy with the transfer.
I just completed my column over at Blu-ray.com on the film, took a month of research and searching for graphics and old lettrers, so if you love the movie, The link is on the front page at the top left marked "The Silver Screen."
Beautifully done!

BTW, one of your on-set photos appears to be a visiting David Lean. Production was under way in 1957.

More, please.

RAH

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
David Weicker said:
I also picked up the Walmart set. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It is two discs containing the movie.
I imagine it is probably the exact same first two discs from the UCE. I had the four disc DVD, so I already had the 1925 version and a lot of the extras (in SD, of course - but the '25 version on the UCE is SD, so not much difference there).
David
David, have you watched yet? I am still hesitant to open my Walmart disc since I can't find anywhere on the case that it is two discs. I don't know if that makes much difference, but not knowing makes me wonder if Walmart sells two versions of the Blu-ray. Does your Walmart copy indicate on the box that it contains two discs?
John The Suspicious

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JohnRa said:
David, have you watched yet? I am still hesitant to open my Walmart disc since I can't find anywhere on the case that it is two discs. I don't know if that makes much difference, but not knowing makes me wonder if Walmart sells two versions of the Blu-ray. Does your Walmart copy indicate on the box that it contains two discs?
John The Suspicious
I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet (it's my son's birthday today, and the last few days have been busy).
The case does not say two discs, but there were two discs inside. The ISBN number is 0-7806-8362-5. The Barcode number is 83929 20942.
David

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
David Weicker said:
I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet (it's my son's birthday today, and the last few days have been busy).
The case does not say two discs, but there were two discs inside. The ISBN number is 0-7806-8362-5. The Barcode number is 83929 20942.
David
David,
Thanks for the information. Enjoy your son's birthday celebration!
John

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
Picked up the Walmart set also. I was not happy about this movie being a gift set only release, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a regular case two-disc edition with just the movie. Had the 1925 silent film been in HD, I would have gone for the gift set.
Now if only Citizen Kane would get a sized-down release (or the price drop way down on Amazon), and if I could get both of DeMille's Ten Commandments films in HD without buying the expensive shelf-hogger.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Just a quick note to those who posted that they enjoyed my column over at Blu-ray.com on Ben-Hur. Mr. Harris: When you say "Beautifully Done" I am indeed humbled, thank you. Well, tonight is the big night, Ben Hur on my JVC RS-50 projector on my 159" high power screen. Last night was Lion King in 3D, tonight Ben Hur and tomorrow night Beauty and the Beast in 3D....A fantastic way to head into the new year with Rosh Hashanah and into the Yom Kippur weekend!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
What time would you like us all to show up? Let us know if there's anything we can bring.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
And if i say i've WALKED all the way here from MONTREAL,are you really gonna turn me down ?
:D
although, i might not make it by tonight.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by RobertSiegel /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/120#post_3858343
Just a quick note to those who posted that they enjoyed my column over at Blu-ray.com on Ben-Hur. Mr. Harris: When you say "Beautifully Done" I am indeed humbled, thank you. Well, tonight is the big night, Ben Hur on my JVC RS-50 projector on my 159" high power screen. Last night was Lion King in 3D, tonight Ben Hur and tomorrow night Beauty and the Beast in 3D....A fantastic way to head into the new year with Rosh Hashanah and into the Yom Kippur weekend!
You do realize that for 40 days and 40 nights, Moses and his companions had no 3D Blu-rays. Only unleavened bread.

Or was that Josh Hartnett?

RAH

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Still, sure wish I have a big, high quality FP setup for screening this epic on BD (among others)... maybe someday...

_Man_

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
LOL well now I know hehe. Maybe someday Paramount will give us a 3D Ten Commandments. OOPS did I say anything offensive to other film fanatics? Actually, being one myself, I still hope for a 3D version of that and The Sound of Music someday. I was not in favor of colorization but I think it would just be "cool" to watch some of these in 3D, Ben-Hur included. And who knows, after the 65 million dollar 2-week successful run of The Lion King, I think studios took notice of that.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
It's in my hands,i bought it.
It is one beautiful sight to behold.
For now,i have 2 other nights of work,then i will be able to go through the entire thing.
I feel this will require a detailed critique like i did in the How the west was won thread,complete with anecdotes,commentary and
a fair amount of drooling over the score,cinematography and performances.
Although, i might be preaching to the choir in here...:)
While everyone is waiting,i found this little gem on Youtube.First chills of the season come not from the approaching
winter,but from this magnificient score.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
montrealfilmguy said:
It's in my hands,i bought it.
It is one beautiful sight to behold.
For now,i have 2 other nights of work,then i will be able to go through the entire thing.
I feel this will require a detailed critique like i did in the How the west was won thread,complete with anecdotes,commentary and
a fair amount of drooling over the score,cinematography and performances.
Although, i might be preaching to the choir in here...:)
While everyone is waiting,i found this little gem on Youtube.First chills of the season come not from the approaching
winter,but from this magnificient score.
Look forward to your detailed review. The music is great. Thanks for this clip!!

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks a million, Ben (Montreal) - and Robert for that delicious article on Blu-ray.com. Since I haven't gotten around to watching the BD yet, and it's been many years since I've seen the movie, both the YouTube clip and article sent the proverbial shivers....
Robert's article brought home the immensity of the project and makes me wonder how anyone connected with it could ever have had a good night's sleep. Ditto Lawrence - if 'only' in respect of the well-being of their leading men. Since both were involved in almost every scene, can you imagine if anything untoward had happened to them half or two-thirds of the way through? No wonder poor Sam Zimbalist suffered a heart attack - a project like that would try the stamina of a fit teenager.
(Aside from the logistics, there was also that nagging little consideration that the mere future of MGM rested on its release and success!)
The picture of Lean visiting the set is the first time I've ever seen both giants together. Now, if only Robert had included that picture of WW on his Vespa.......

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
one of the commenters left this,
I believe this was a PBS show called "Previn and the Pittsburgh".
and another says,
its previn and the pittsburg symphony tv series from pbs this episode also has previn conducting now voyager and psycho and
john williams conducting some of his music.
Found more
In February 1977, the PSO and Previn made their national debut on PBS with eight specials, "Previn and the Pittsburgh." Alcoa sponsored
the award-winning series, which ran for three years.
wow,that would be some show to have on dvd.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/150#post_3859138
one of the commenters left this,
I believe this was a PBS show called "Previn and the Pittsburgh".
and another says,
its previn and the pittsburg symphony tv series from pbs this episode also has previn conducting now voyager and psycho and
john williams conducting some of his music.
Found more
In February 1977, the PSO and Previn made their national debut on PBS with eight specials, "Previn and the Pittsburgh." Alcoa sponsored
the award-winning series, which ran for three years.
wow,that would be some show to have on dvd.
Saw this particular episode on my local PBS station when it aired back in '77...Rozsa conducted "Parade Of The Charioteers" with the Pittsburgh Symphony, while Williams conducted excerpts from both "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" and "Star Wars"!!!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The new Digital version is being screened in 4K 2.76:1 at the Seattle Cinerama from next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks