What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ben-Hur -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
garyrc said:
Even the VHS-Hi Fi soundtrack was better (with a few dropouts). The DVD soundtrack sounds like they put a limiter or compressor in the chain.
All great stuff, from everybody. Completely off topic, but the above remark reminds me of the various video editions of 'U2-Rattle & Hum'. I hugely enjoyed the feeling of being surrounded by the roaring audience at the beginning that was reproduced so dramatically on the VHS Hi-Fi. My expectations for an even bigger charge were dashed by the sound that 'limped' from the DVD and subsequent HD-DVD. I don't know if the discs have a broader dynamic range, but stuff like this should be loud, and even turning up the volume doesn't get to where the tape (which I'd given away) did. So I presume some limiting or compressing was done here too.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Ok, this is sounding too good to be true. Sounds like I'll be impressed like I was with THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. I'm excited to see any of the films on BD that were remastered from they original large format negatives.
While I can't afford and don't have an interest in the box. I will definitely get to Best Buy for their exclusive that's on sale for $29.99.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
A copy of Gore Vidal's screenplay for Ben-Hur has recently been discovered . . . and here's a scene from it.
EXT. JERUSALEM. DAWN -
The sun's rays, bewitching in their beauty, start to glint on the tiles of Jerusalem's villas and slums. The birds begin their chorus, dogs bark, sheep and goats browse the rubbish, women arrives at the wells for the day's water.
INT. THE HOUSE OF HUR. BEDROOM
The sun's rays sneak through the shutters and inch their way towards the bed. JUDAH and MESSALA are lying side by side, bewitching in their beauty. MESSALA slowly wakes up and looks across at JUDAH.
MESSALA: Where the beams cross . . .

JUDAH stirs, and unaware of Messala's words, rises to his feet and goes out of the room.
EXT. THE HOUSE OF HUR. COURTYARD
JUDAH descends the staircase and crosses the floor and stands by the fountain. The light is remarkably beautiful, the air seems to hum with life, the water gushing from the fountain promising eternity. JUDAH stretches to his full length and strength, his whole body arced and poised and alert, like the finest Greek sculpture. He draws a deep breath and starts to sing.
JUDAH
Oh, what a beautiful morning,
Oh, what a beautiful day.
I've got a beautiful feelin'
Everything's goin' my way.
Sorry folks, but I do think this thread is getting a little . . . well, wayward. And with apologies to Messrs Heston, Vidal, Rodgers, Hammerstein.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Many thanks to everyone.
This has been one of the most intersting, informative and enlightening threads I've read.
And I don't even like Ben-Hur!
Steve W

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Okay, I admit, this post is just to pimp the custom 3-disc Blu Ray cover I've made for this wonderful film. (Click to enlarge)

Some of you old-timers may recognize the cover elementst from M-G-M's lavish laserdisc set from '95 (?). I still treasure it to this day, Ben-Hur spread over 9 sides in CAV. I just wanted to transpose that box set's art over to Blu-Ray.

If anyone wants a download of this to print for themselves, PM me for a link or visit the Custom Blu-Ray Cover thread.

395764da_benhurbdnew.png

ToddF

Agent
Real Name
Todd Fredericks
Fritz Nilsen said:
Okay, I admit, this post is just to pimp the custom 3-disc Blu Ray cover I've made for this wonderful film. (Click to enlarge)

Some of you old-timers may recognize the cover elementst from M-G-M's lavish laserdisc set from '95 (?). I still treasure it to this day, Ben-Hur spread over 9 sides in CAV. I just wanted to transpose that box set's art over to Blu-Ray.

If anyone wants a download of this to print for themselves, PM me for a link or visit the Custom Blu-Ray Cover thread.

395764da_benhurbdnew.png
Looks great!!!

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
AdrianTurner said:
The way he says he was called in to save the picture, immediately saw it for what it was (a story of thwarted gay love) and wrote it as such, apparently to the horror of Mr Heston.
AdrianTurner said:
A copy of Gore Vidal's screenplay for Ben-Hur has recently been discovered . . . and here's a scene from it
INT. THE HOUSE OF HUR. BEDROOM
The sun's rays sneak through the shutters and inch their way towards the bed. JUDAH and MESSALA are lying side by side, bewitching in their beauty. MESSALA slowly wakes up and looks across at JUDAH.
Well, how would you approach a story whose core you're told is the relationship between two beautiful men who wear skirts? I mean, even Mr. Fry said he wouldn't have included a female interest were he to have written an original script.....:D

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for that original piece, by the way. Hilarious! looking forward to your musical hybrid of The Ten Commandments (your favorite movie - not!). Wonder which one you'd choose...:laugh:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
marsnkc said:
Well, how would you approach a story whose core you're told is the relationship between two beautiful men who wear skirts? I mean, even Mr. Fry said he wouldn't have included a female interest were he to have written an original script.....:D
"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
556bd565_seinfeld.jpeg

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Ok,fellas,i've had just about enough of your goofy antics,innuendos and apocrypha.
Because,next time i watch Ben-Hur on BD,i'll get the sudden urge to put on my own soundtrack which will be a loop of
Bryan Ferry's Slave to love...
:D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by marsnkc /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/90#post_3853508
As ManW_TheVerycool would say........
I am losing what little credibility I (don't actually) have w/ Lester Bangs!

BTW, Fritz, that's a pretty cool custom cover -- and I can see why many would love it -- though it's probably a tad over-the-top for me. Thanks for sharing that nonetheless...

_Man_

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Guess i don't need to type all the Heston stuff anymore.
Included in the Bluray.
Charlton Heston: The Ben-Hur Diaries. One of the most fascinating non-disc extras ever included in an Ultimate Collector's Edition, this 128 hardcover book is a replica of the journal Heston kept during and after the filming of Ben-Hur. It's a typical small diary, with dates on each page, and Heston's typed reminiscences at the bottom of each page, along with his schedule for the day. But stuffed inside this impressive journal are a wealth of other items, like photographs, ticket stubs and the like. Unusual and unusually interesting.
Alos totally convinced now,it'll be nice next to the Ten commandments BD.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Five reasons to love Ben-Hur:
1) In DTS HD MA - Miklos Rozsa's fantastic thundering score that is almost omnipresent but never, never intrudes.
2) With respect to the (not that hidden) subtext, it's also as camp as a boy scout outing to the biggest Gang Show in the world. Frank Thring helps in this respect. Considerably.
3) Stephen Boyd; possibly his best screen role, and the moment he hisses 'the race goes on...' and expires, the bloody beating heart is ripped out of the film.
4) They don't make 'em like this any more; no, seriously, they don't - huge sets, a humongous cast, fabulous, fabulous stunts. No CGI; human beings, craft and guile.
5) The Blu-ray; films like this were made for Blu-ray. And this Blu-ray delivers on every front.
'Down Eros; up Mars...'

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray#post_3851728
As with the other big box releases, there have eventually been bare-bones releases...or retailer-exclusive bare-bones releases. Maybe Ben Hur will be the same.
According to blu-ray.com there apparently *will* be a Best Buy exclusive discs-only(?) combo pack coming out at the same time next week for $30. Just noticed mention of it over there. Not sure if it includes all the same discs/content as the special boxset though. But if it does, I guess that would be a solid alternative for anyone who wants it right now, but don't want to import from the UK.

_Man_

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
Ben-Hur was still fresh in our minds in the '60s -- how could it be forgotten? We reversed the slogan "Down Eros, up Mars" (which was the Romans' anticipation of Freudian sublimation), and morphed it into the slogan "Up Eros, Down Mars," which, of course, meant "Make Love, Not War."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks