A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ben-Hur -- in Blu-ray

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
With Barabbas, it's a case of Sony getting around to it (& they may have already done the work for all I know), there's a few sixties Columbia films that I hope will get a great looking release next year.
The French Sidonis (unremovable subs) blu-ray of Barabbas is certainly underwhelming as far as image sharpness is concerned. I'm hopeful, too, that Sony has or will soon do a new scan. This genre is my favorite and I'd like to add the Fox MIAs Story of Ruth, Esther and the King and, if a decent print exists somewhere, Sodom and Gomorrah. Guess that is up to Disney now. For sheer fun I'd also LOVE to see The Silver Chalice and The Prodigal from WB. Still, Helen, Pharaohs and Barabbas are top of my list, too.

ptb2017fr

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Bale
Land of the Pharoahs had a lovely HD broadcast on BBCHD last year.
Esther, Story Of Ruth, Francis of Assisi, and especially Helen of Troy are ones I’d love to see get a decent Blu release. The Silver Chalice i saw recently, not a very good print, but it’s hysterically funny, though they didn’t Intend it to be, but Paul Newman looked at his most beautiful. Sodom is another guilty pleasure I’d like to see get a decent release, the last time it was shown on tv it looked pretty bad. Barabbas is indeed out in France but I’ve not seen it as it’s not a movie I like.

Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
I dunno, how come I missed the BBC HD broadcast of Land Of The Pharaohs last year? I always check what films are on TV. Damn!

ptb2017fr

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Bale
Why have costume epics gone out of fashion? I'm getting really bored with super heroes!
Meant to ask why El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire haven't had decent restorations? Pinewood did a gorgeous one on two other Bronston epics, 55 Days at Peking and Circus World, so why not the others. El Cid deserves a really good restoration, and Fall having been remade as Gladiator, without the religion, and with easily the biggest and best sets ever, you'd think someone would take it on. Shown on BBC tv last weekend in 1.85:1 so sides were cut off, but the colour was gorgeous!

richardburton84

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Jack
Meant to ask why El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire haven't had decent restorations? Pinewood did a gorgeous one on two other Bronston epics, 55 Days at Peking and Circus World, so why not the others. El Cid deserves a really good restoration, and Fall having been remade as Gladiator, without the religion, and with easily the biggest and best sets ever, you'd think someone would take it on. Shown on BBC tv last weekend in 1.85:1 so sides were cut off, but the colour was gorgeous!
I think I read somewhere that the presence of some mediocre international Blu-rays may have hurt the feasibility of restored Blu-rays of those films. I’m pretty sure I also read that Pinewood doesn’t have the necessary equipment to scan the 65mm negative for Fall. Also, which of the two films in question was shown on BBC?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Derek
Pinewood only has 35mm but it can scan Techirama as it did a fantastic job on 55 Days at Peking.

ptb2017fr

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Bale
I think I read somewhere that the presence of some mediocre international Blu-rays may have hurt the feasibility of restored Blu-rays of those films. I’m pretty sure I also read that Pinewood doesn’t have the necessary equipment to scan the 65mm negative for Fall. Also, which of the two films in question was shown on BBC?
Fall was the one shown 1.85:1 last weekend. Sorry not to be clearer.

KMR

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin
But not "normal" 35mm and most labs that can work ordinary 35 cannot work with Technirama.
From what I understand, Technirama could be described as essentially "anamorphic VistaVision".

Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
I wonder if any company is still using a Sprit telecine (or datacine if you want to be pedantic) they can scan Technirama. As for 65mm, I wonder how many scanners there are that can do that (& any in the UK?).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RebeccaLawrence