What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Beggars of Life -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
William Wellman's 1928 Beggars of Life is a look back at a story about hobo life at the time, as told by Jim Tully.

While Richard Arlen and even of more interest today, Louise Brooks, are interesting to watch, the star of the film is truly the great Wallace Beery for his films c. the mid-1930s -- Viva Villa!, Dinner at Eight, Grand Hotel and Tugboat Annie.

But in 1928, before he moved to M-G-M, he was a Paramount contract player.

There was a part-sound MovieTone version of the film, but what is offered by Kino Lorber is the silent, with a new score, based upon the original.

As a Blu-ray, it's a very nice looking element, with a decent gray scale, and good detail. No real problems to be found.

Just a pity that we don't have the part-talking version with which to compare. It may no longer survive.

Image - 3.5

Audio - N/A

4k Up-rez -3.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to seeing this, having previously only read about it in Ms Brooks autobiography. ("of")

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Some might find this interesting (I love this kind of stuff)... At least part of 'Beggars of Life' was filmed in San Diego County. The train wreck scene at the end of the film was shot out at Carrizo Gorge, near Jacumba, CA. After filming, the wreckage was not recovered/removed. A few weeks ago, a YouTube channel called Western Mine Detective hiked down to the wreckage. His 41-minute video is well worth your time (if you are into this kind of stuff).

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
If anyone has a copy of this Kino release that they are willing to sell for a reasonable sum, please reach out by PM.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
According to the IMDB trivia for this film, the bit of dialog (and, apparently, a song) that was included post-production on the music/special effects track (I assume this is the MovieTone version?) resulted in that version being Paramount's very first feature film with spoken word. Interesting.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks