What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Beauty and the Beast -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Here is an opinion suffering from bi-polar. ;) Note my comment about Jungle Book above. No gimmicky there. However, I'll go on to state that I like it when 3D is in-your-face. Being startled by a visual effect is not a gimmick for me. If that's the case there's a lot of gimmicks in 2D also.

Well, to each his own as they say. Films like Dial M For Murder or Kiss Me Kate lose nothing in 2D. Granted, Hitchcock hated the 3D process so much that outside of the scissors scene, he pretty much ignored it. But they weren't better because of 3D anymore than Gog. I understand there's a niche market for 3D and I certainly don't begrudge 3D fans their joy in bilge like Gog, I like trash too but I don't need to see Valley Of The Dolls in 3D and it's certainly not going to be a better film or more enjoyable. I've seen The Jungle Book in 3D and while I enjoyed it, I honestly can't recall how effective the 3D was which indicates not much. Outside of Beauty And The Beast and bits of Hugo, 3D is a bust for me. Avatar had some impressive moments but it was a pretty lousy movie.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, to each his own as they say. Films like Dial M For Murder or Kiss Me Kate lose nothing in 2D. Granted, Hitchcock hated the 3D process so much that outside of the scissors scene, he pretty much ignored it. But they weren't better because of 3D anymore than Gog. I understand there's a niche market for 3D and I certainly don't begrudge 3D fans their joy in bilge like Gog, I like trash too but I don't need to see Valley Of The Dolls in 3D and it's certainly not going to be a better film or more enjoyable. I've seen The Jungle Book in 3D and while I enjoyed it, I honestly can't recall how effective the 3D was which indicates not much. Outside of Beauty And The Beast and bits of Hugo, 3D is a bust for me. Avatar had some impressive moments but it was a pretty lousy movie.
I don't think Hitchcock ignored 3D. He composed the movie for 3D, showing depth in many scenes. I agree that a lousy movie in 2D is a lousy movie in 3D. I have Gog in 3D, and still don't like it. Avatar is a favorite movie of mine. I've only seen Jungle Book in my HT and it was amazing 3D. I'll remember you and you remember me. When one of us likes a movie, good chance the other won't. :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Hitchcock ignored 3D. He composed the movie for 3D, showing depth in many scenes.

For what it's worth, from Hitchcock's bio:

"Jack Warner announced that the production would be one of the studio's three dimensional productions. The process did not interest Hitchcock, who recognized it for what it was - essentially anticinematic, with its constant reminder to the audience that they were "out there" and not drawn, visually and emotionally, "into" the story, its action and its mood. At this point, the director's only desire was to get through with the filming as quickly as possible and as unceremoniously as possible. "Hitch was terribly encumbered and frustrated by having to do the picture in 3D," Grace Kelly remembered. "Hitchcock had a terrible time. With this camera it was like going into a boxing ring with your hands tied. I would get furious for him, when I saw the frustrations and the things he wanted to do and the technicians said, "Oh no, with this camera we can't do this and we can't do that."

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

Don't you wonder why people are constantly throwing things at you in Kiss Me Kate? Or why Grace Kelly'a arms fling out in your face in Dial M? Have you seen them in 3D?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Don't you wonder why people are constantly throwing things at you in Kiss Me Kate? Or why Grace Kelly'a arms fling out in your face in Dial M? Have you seen them in 3D?

If one knows a film was shot in 3D, one doesn't have to see it in 3D to know why they're throwing things or flinging arms at you :) That being said, yes I have seen both films in 3D. Irrelevant to the discussion at hand but Eva Gabor sat behind me during the 3D screening of Dial M For Murder when I saw it at the Tiffany Theatre in West Hollywood in the late 70s. Apparently, she was going to do the play in summer stock and wanted to check out Kelly's performance.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For what it's worth, from Hitchcock's bio:

"Jack Warner announced that the production would be one of the studio's three dimensional productions. The process did not interest Hitchcock, who recognized it for what it was - essentially anticinematic, with its constant reminder to the audience that they were "out there" and not drawn, visually and emotionally, "into" the story, its action and its mood. At this point, the director's only desire was to get through with the filming as quickly as possible and as unceremoniously as possible. "Hitch was terribly encumbered and frustrated by having to do the picture in 3D," Grace Kelly remembered. "Hitchcock had a terrible time. With this camera it was like going into a boxing ring with your hands tied. I would get furious for him, when I saw the frustrations and the things he wanted to do and the technicians said, "Oh no, with this camera we can't do this and we can't do that."
Ok, so Hitch disliked 3D. That doesn't change the fact that I think the move is a good movie, enhanced by 3D. "That's the fact, Jack!" That I like it in 3D, that is.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Amazon UK dropped the price of Beauty and the Beast 3D to 14.99 pounds. I just ordered it. Release date there is July 17th.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Admittedly I only saw this on an airplane but it was so close to the original cartoon, only longer, I really don't see the reason for this other than Disney making more money. At least with the other live versions of Disney classics, such as Cinderella, they brought something different to the table. This film just reproduced the cartoon with some additional information such as what happened to Belle's mother .

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so Hitch disliked 3D. That doesn't change the fact that I think the move is a good movie, enhanced by 3D. "That's the fact, Jack!" That I like it in 3D, that is.

No one is trying to change your mind or the "fact(s)" :) What you like or don't like is no concern of mine. I just thought it was an interesting anecdote and thought I'd share it. Don't take it so personally.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I really don't see the reason for this other than Disney making more money. This film just reproduced the cartoon with some additional information such as what happened to Belle's mother .

Well, some of us relate more to live people than drawn figures. Also as I'm sure you already know, in between the 1991 animated version and the 2017 film version, the play was adapted for the Broadway stage as a "live" action musical where it ran for 13 years and received 9 Tony nominations. The fact that it did so well on Broadway was reason enough for Disney to transfer it to the big screen once more.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Admittedly I only saw this on an airplane but it was so close to the original cartoon, only longer, I really don't see the reason for this other than Disney making more money. At least with the other live versions of Disney classics, such as Cinderella, they brought something different to the table. This film just reproduced the cartoon with some additional information such as what happened to Belle's mother .
Except for low budget independent films I would imagine a major reason most movies are made is to make a buck. I don't consider that a bad thing. If you consider a live action/animation film to be a reproduction of an all animated film, then we have no common ground on which to discuss this.

I have not seen the picture yet but I'm looking forward to it. I know I have one bone to pick with it, and that's the use of singing voices that are not up to the task. If you think "here voice was nice but she shouldn't give up her day job", why use her voice?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No one is trying to change your mind or the "fact(s)" :) What you like or don't like is no concern of mine. I just thought it was an interesting anecdote and thought I'd share it. Don't take it so personally.
Didn't take it personally, but I took the anecdote as meant to support your contention that Hitch pretty much ignored the 3D, which I disagreed with.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Didn't take it personally, but I took the anecdote as meant to support your contention that Hitch pretty much ignored the 3D, which I disagreed with.

He didn't ignore the 3D. Watching the 138 inch wide image from my Panasonic AE8000 3D projector, I felt like I was the in the room with them.

Spoiler alert (don't read below unless you have seen the movie):
I read somewhere that he tried to compose a 3D scene where the scissor's would come out of the screen as they were impaling the killer as he fell on the floor. The camera would have to be below the floor but it just didn't work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks