What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Batman v Superman (extended) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Fair viewpoint. The way I see it, we've had 7 live action Batman films since 1989 that depicted Batman in a world without other superheroes. Let's spend some time in the shared story space with this incarnation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
See my way of thinking is that when all these films are said and done, I would hate for BvS to have been Batman's introduction for this world.

I think that was an ill-advised choice too, but now that they've made it, they're going to have to own it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
After reading Robert's review of Batman V Superman, now I'm really curious to see Frankenstein meets the Wolfman. I saw it ages ago as a kid but I hadn't really seen as an adult. I gather it's on it's way from Universal along with the other sequels to the original monsters films to blu ray. Sorry for the diversion.

I haven't seen BvS, so I'll be curious to see the extended version. I've avoided spoilers even though I didn't have much expectation for this given I did not like Man of Steel. I don't have any urgent desire to upgrade to atmos, I'm happy with the old school 5.1. Though it sounds like its a great way to see this type of movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hope to have a 4K set by the end of the year, so BvS will likely be my first UHD Blu-ray purchase. I'll watch the Blu-ray now, of course, and have the UHD version as one of my first discs for UHD viewing.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
After reading Robert's review of Batman V Superman, now I'm really curious to see Frankenstein meets the Wolfman. I saw it ages ago as a kid but I hadn't really seen as an adult. I gather it's on it's way from Universal along with the other sequels to the original monsters films to blu ray. Sorry for the diversion.

I haven't seen BvS, so I'll be curious to see the extended version. I've avoided spoilers even though I didn't have much expectation for this given I did not like Man of Steel. I don't have any urgent desire to upgrade to atmos, I'm happy with the old school 5.1. Though it sounds like its a great way to see this type of movie.

I recommend the re-issued Frankenstein Complete Legacy DVD set from Universal. The quality is quite good, and I got it cheaply at Costco (it can be had cheaply elsewhere). It contains the complete story arc that involves the Frankenstein monster and the Wolfman. If you already have The Wolfman from the Universal BD set (and if you've already seen Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein), you should follow with Ghost of Frankenstein, then Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. Ghost of Frankenstein is not all that great, but it sets up information about the monster before we see him again in his clash with the Wolfman.

There are even more sequels after Meets the Wolfman, but they are not at the same level of quality. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman is more about the Wolfman than the monster.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David! I do have the Classic Monsters blu ray collection plus Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein on the blu ray release. :)

I found the DVD collection you refer to in a web search just now. If it's the same set you refer to that includes A and C meet Frankensten, that looks like a great set. Thanks for the info! Hope Universal's release of the blu rays of the later monster films are still coming.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, thanks! I just happen to find that thread earlier. What a terrific coincidence. Unless RAH knew something already. :). Sorry for the diversion into the Universal Monster talk. I'll go to that thread for that topic.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
That would be me. ;)

I opted for the 3D. I saw part of the EC on both UHD and BD. Both looked beautiful and (on a 55" screen) I could not notice any appreciable difference. I found the 3D to be a more noticeable enhancement of the visuals...much better than MoS. The downside...the only way I'd ever want to see the theatrical again is for the 3D. But it's an option I wouldn't wish to lose.

It would have been better (and less costly for the studio) to combine both 4K and 3D on the combos. That is what Shout does and is whatSony is doing for GHOSTBUSTERS.
https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters...05303&sr=8-2&keywords=ghostbusters+3d+blu+ray

And for those who DON'T want to buy 2 versions of BvS, you can get a 4K/3D combo from overseas:

, https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-l...language=en_US

Last edited:

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
I'm not sure : why would classic movies shot in large format need 100 Gb to start getting UHD release ? BvS might need one because it's 3 hours long and has an Atmos track. But if your movie is 2hr long in stereo, a BD-66 and its 82 Mbps max bitrate is probably plenty enough.

Last edited:

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I am the biggest Batman fan I know, having met in my lifetime only a handful of people who share my level of obsession with the character. I have yet to see Batman v Superman. I think David Goyer is great with story, but TERRIBLE with actual shooting scripts. His dialogue is cringeworthy, and went a long way toward tamping down my feelings for Man of Steel after what seemed like a promising start. As did Zack Snyder's direction. Snyder is the most superficial director making superhero films at present. He only understands the spectacle...the themes and heart elude him. If Warner drops these two, I might be interested in where all this is heading. But for Godsake, you don't shoehorn the Dark Knight Returns battle beetwen Bats and Supes into a movie where these characters are meeting for the first time. And you certainly don't let Goyer and Snyder make the movie.

If they let Ben Affleck make the next Batman film, I will watch it. I've liked all his screenwriting and directorial efforts. Until then, I'll content myself with seeing Batman: The Killing Joke on the big screen come July 25. If I'm going to see an iconic '80s Batman story played out on the big screen, it's gonna be done right.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Chris Terrio wrote the final draft of the screenplay for BvS. How much is Goyer's is uncertain, but it seems likely that the story is mostly Goyer and the dialogue is mostly Terrio. Goyer will not be working on future installments.

Affleck will be writing and directing the next Batman film, I don't think it's been 100% confirmed, but the studio heads have mentioned it during various conferences and events. Supposedly Justice League is being scaled back from two films to one, and a solo Batman film may follow that.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm not sure : why would classic movies shot in large format need 100 Gb to start getting UHD release ? BvS might need one because it's 3 hours long and has an Atmos track. But if your movie is 2hr long in stereo, a BD-66 and its 82 Mbps max bitrate is probably plenty enough.
If we're talking classic large format, there are quite a few epics in the mix. Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, Spartacus, My Fair Lady...

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Oh yeah, long movies with multichannels tracks will definitely benefit from more space and more bitrates.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Snyder is the most superficial director making superhero films at present. He only understands the spectacle...the themes and heart elude him.

For the life of me I can't understand this perspective. Maybe it was true for 300, but Watchmen was spilling over with thematic concepts and exploration, and Man of Steel and BvS are at their core about the hearts of their main characters and are also bursting with themes of heroes, sacrifice, finding one's place in the world, finding one's center of focus, hope, fear, etc.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
For the life of me I can't understand this perspective. Maybe it was true for 300, but Watchmen was spilling over with thematic concepts and exploration....
The Watchmen film was a complete thematic failure. Probably Snyder's biggest failure to date. He tells the exact story (of a novel whose author says the story is beside the point), he recreates the visual setting precisely, and yet he drops the entire central theme of Watchmen by reducing Watchmaker to an Incredible Hulk style origin for Dr. Manhattan. The question of Who Makes The World is jettisoned in favor of hammering the story beats. He also removed the ONLY instance in the entire novel wherein Adrian was vulnerable. Where he essentially asks God (Dr. Manhattan) for absolution, God treats him like the child that he is, then leaves him cold and empty when he departs for points unknown in the universe beyond. Instead, Snyder has him kiss the girl before he leaves, then wedges his famous parting shot to Adrian ("Nothing ever ends") into Laurie's mouth, completely out of context. Once again demonstrating that Snyder wants to include everything that's iconic, without understanding WHY it's iconic. That line is incredibly important to the book. In the film, it's a throwaway, and it doesn't mean much of anything.

I don't question Snyder's enthusiasm for the material, which is apparent. I merely question his ability to actually understand and articulate the deeper themes of the material. And in Watchmen, at least, he fell flat on his face. The Ultimate Cut is the only watchable cut for me. Because as much as he fails in the main narrative, the Black Freighter sequences at the very least reintroduce some of the main themes. Sadly, they are no longer parallels and counterpoints to the main action (as in Moore's original Godfather Part II inspired structure), since those themes have been buried under the avalanche of plot points that he tried to cram into the picture. When you make the Story Version of a book where the story is fairly inconsequential, it cannot possibly represent the source.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
As a fan of both the comic and the film of Watchmen, I wholeheartedly disagree. But then I'm one that typically embraces tweaks and different angles to familiar material in adaptations as long as the core ideas are still there, which in Watchmen they very much are, at least IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks