What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watched "Batman Returns" last night and I must say, it IS a revelation. STUNNING!

"Returns" is easily the best-looking of the 4 4Ks, but it was also easily the best-looking of the BDs, so that should be no surprise.

"Forever" and "Robin" are much bigger improvements on their BD counterparts, IMO...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in going 4K for the first 3, but no interest in the 4th one. Still, I think I'll wait for the box set and a street price (eventually) of around $40-$45. If the first three individual titles end up dropping down in the $12 range, I'll snatch those up instead.

Mark

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm interested in going 4K for the first 3, but no interest in the 4th one. Still, I think I'll wait for the box set and a street price (eventually) of around $40-$45. If the first three individual titles end up dropping down in the $12 range, I'll snatch those up instead.

Mark

I’m waiting for the box as well.
November should be a fantastic time to grab this set. It’s hard to wait though!!

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams

Mark

Don't be surprised if "Batman Forever" is much, much worse than you remember. And, of course, the least said about "Batman and Robin," the better.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Don't be surprised if "Batman Forever" is much, much worse than you remember. And, of course, the least said about "Batman and Robin," the better.

Of the 4, "Forever" has aged the worst. "B&R" seemed mediocre at best to me in 1997, but I actually mostly liked "Forever" back then.

Now? Not so much. It has a few good moments but every time I watch it, I like it less and less, and I find it more difficult to recall why I enjoyed it in the first place!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I bought the first two last week, and have no use for the second two, in any format. My reaction to 'Batman' during the first 30 minutes or so, was disappointment, and I wondered what some of the rave reviewers on the web were seeing. As a result, I think Mr. Harris's positive but measured reading is appropriate. But...spending a little more time with 'Batman' has turned me toward high praise. Most people (me included) tend to remember garish and dazzling color when thinking back on it...but those colors, like the nearly cartoonish reds, purples and greens, only stand out in contrast to the muddled gray grime of the whole production. The film itself seems slightly desaturated, but people remember cartoonish color because it's set against gray grime. I now think the UHD is spot-on perfect, and past BD's are probably a little bit boosted. I love this new rendition. Everything that should be there, is there, and the grain is perfect.

Batman Returns is a whole other story. I haven't read about the two filmstocks, but BR does seem finer grain, and color is handled differently, even though the overall setting is largely similar to Batman. I'm guessing that much of people's memory of Batman has been intermingled with their memory of Batman Returns, which throws off more visual spark. I love both of these editions, and think they're both very accurate and worthy of a place on the library shelf.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Batman Returns is a whole other story. I haven't read about the two filmstocks, but BR does seem finer grain, and color is handled differently, even though the overall setting is largely similar to Batman.

Not sure if it would have an effect on the grain (if any) but Batman Returns was shot full frame open matte and Batman '89 was not,

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I bought an LG 4K OLED55E8 last summer and have been mostly pleased with the image. However, the 4K UHD discs I've seen since then have presented at least to my eyes only rare and minor instances of truly improved detail, texture and depth that I see so often trumpeted in reviews. Am I missing something? I had my set professionally calibrated by Value Electronics where I bought it (great outfit!) and have a good eye for superior video I think. My question, are all these reviews I read on various sites (DVD Beaver, Blu-ray.com AVS Forum, etc.) on-line predicated on the viewing of 4K material on TVs 65" or larger? That can only be the answer in my estimation. If such is the case I feel reviewers should make that clearer in their reviews. I'm a little underwhelmed to be blunt in my overall opinion of 4K UHD discs.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I bought an LG 4K OLED55E8 last summer and have been mostly pleased with the image. However, the 4K UHD discs I've seen since then have presented at least to my eyes only rare and minor instances of truly improved detail, texture and depth that I see so often trumpeted in reviews. Am I missing something? I had my set professionally calibrated by Value Electronics where I bought it (great outfit!) and have a good eye for superior video I think. My question, are all these reviews I read on various sites (DVD Beaver, Blu-ray.com AVS Forum, etc.) on-line predicated on the viewing of 4K material on TVs 65" or larger? That can only be the answer in my estimation. If such is the case I feel reviewers should make that clearer in their reviews. I'm a little underwhelmed to be blunt in my overall opinion of 4K UHD discs.
With 2K sourced material the main difference is the HDR colour grading, better compression and no/less banding. With sources that provide real 4K you also see clearly sharper images with finer detail if you sit close enough to resolve 4K detail on your TV.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Chances are that you are not sitting close enough. I would suggest to take the time and sit one screen width away from your screen as that is a good distance to also see subtler differences in resolution.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For what it's worth, I can't see the difference between 2K and 4K on a fifty-foot cinema screen, without a direct point of comparison. Several years ago, I saw some test footage shot on 35mm, screened at both 2K and 4K, Sitting in the middle of the theatre, I think I noticed a very subtle difference between the two, but nothing very striking.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For what it's worth, I can't see the difference between 2K and 4K on a fifty-foot cinema screen, without a direct point of comparison. Several years ago, I saw some test footage shot on 35mm, screened at both 2K and 4K, Sitting in the middle of the theatre, I think I noticed a very subtle difference between the two, but nothing very striking.

Difference is seen in large format

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Robert, what do you mean by "large format?" I have a 55" set. I presume you refer to much larger projection formats. I would be curious as to what is the low end optimal size to start really noticing the improvements in the image.

I think sitting "one screen width" away is absurd. That would not work in my current set up at home in any case. Taking that approach I would also have to give up any decent stereo imaging on my R/L Main speakers.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel

That's how I've felt for years. I stopped reading UHD reviews some time ago ( and I dislike HDR, too much detail is obscured on BR with the darkening. No need for "No it doesnt", "must be the display", etc. I've noticed it from the start, which is why I only own 5 UHD discs. Others are ok with it, that's fine.) Checked this review out because of the title. BR looks spectacular on 1080p so Im passing on that. But since the first film may show improvements, I may get that one.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That's how I've felt for years. I stopped reading UHD reviews some time ago ( and I dislike HDR, too much detail is obscured on BR with the darkening. No need for "No it doesnt", "must be the display", etc. I've noticed it from the start, which is why I only own 5 UHD discs. Others are ok with it, that's fine.) Checked this review out because of the title. BR looks spectacular on 1080p so Im passing on that. But since the first film may show improvements, I may get that one.

I’m hoping to check out the set soon. It arrived today.

I just picked up the kelvin Trek set and the mission impossible 4k set as well.
I watched the first 2 mission impossible films and they look fantastic on UHd Blu Ray.
I am being more selective about titles.
Cost continues to be an issue with physical formats vs digital.
In the next year I will most likely add Apple TV 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks