What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Barbarella -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by iDarren /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/60#post_3958349
I think that is a really over simplistic, fanciful view. The genetic makeup for ALL THINGS is there at childhood, and what ever society suggests or enforces on them as they mature is nonetheless processed and adapted to by their own INDIVIDUAL minds - the same minds that go on to formulate the values or lack of that are passed on in turn to their children.

A study has been done in Europe where they scanned the brains of people who are always in trouble and doing what we would term bad things, they found the part of the brain that deals with so called "moral values" was different to those in society who are never in trouble, it may be simplistic but it's true, i will concede other elements need to come into play though.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Hang on, chaps. We're born totally amoral. We're indoctrinated into the social values of our society from the word go by our parents and society at large. Whether by mental abberation or inappropriate programming through experience, some people gain personal moral values completely skewed to the societal norm. The problem is using terms like "innocent" which carry all kinds of (mainly Christian) conceptual baggage.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hang on, chaps. We're born totally amoral. We're indoctrinated into the social values of our society from the word go by our parents and society at large. Whether by mental abberation or inappropriate programming through experience, some people gain personal moral values completely skewed to the societal norm. The problem is using terms like "innocent" which carry all kinds of (mainly Christian) conceptual baggage.

I believe some are born with brains that are different, take a read at some of these links, now i saw a good Channel 4 TV documentary which explored this and showed us the difference in brains. Now yes it may be over simplying matters but there is a real basis for concern that some people may be born this way, its a young science and research is ongoing, the TV documentary i saw was fascinating. In the link below they claim a third ingredient is needed which is abuse or violence in one's childhood which i suppose is what Darren was saying so i will concede that point.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976

From the above link.

"Here is a brain that's not normal," he says. There are patches of yellow and red. Then he points to another section of the brain, in the front part of the brain, just behind the eyes.

"Look at that — there's almost nothing here," Fallon says.

This is the orbital cortex, the area that Fallon and other scientists believe is involved with ethical behavior, moral decision-making and impulse control.

"People with low activity [in the orbital cortex] are either free-wheeling types or sociopaths," he says.

He's clearly oversimplifying, but Fallon says the orbital cortex puts a brake on another part of the brain called the amygdala, which is involved with aggression and appetites. But in some people, there's an imbalance — the orbital cortex isn't doing its job — perhaps because the person had a brain injury or was born that way.

"What's left? What takes over?" he asks. "The area of the brain that drives your id-type behaviors, which is rage, violence, eating, sex, drinking."

Fallon cautions that this is a young field. Scientists are just beginning to study this area of the brain — much less the brains of criminals. Still, he says the evidence is accumulating that some people's brains predispose them toward violence and that psychopathic tendencies may be passed down from one generation to another.

What he didn't want to reveal was that his orbital cortex looks inactive.

"If you look at the PET scan, I look just like one of those killers."

"You see that? I'm 100 percent. I have the pattern, the risky pattern," he says, then pauses. "In a sense, I'm a born killer."

According to scientists who study this area. They believe that brain patterns and genetic makeup are not enough to make anyone a psychopath. You need a third ingredient: abuse or violence in one's childhood.

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Christianity would say that we are not born innocent/perfect. We are born flawed. And I agree with that. Character is learned and built over time.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
It's curious, given the pulp sci-fi precedent of scantily-clad princesses being abducted by robots and the like, that there aren't more Barbarella type movies. The closest I reckon you can get is Starcrash (ideally in its European cut) starring Caroline Munro. Then there's maybe Galaxina, but I've never found that terribly entertaining - the Dorothy Stratten murder hangs over it like a pall for starters, and to me it's scripted like a second-rate Spaceballs ripoff. That's about it AFAIK for space heroines on their own. There's Sybil Danning's St. Exmin in Battle Beyond The Stars, but beyond them you're just listing "sci-fi babes", and I'm thinking of genuine pulp sci-fi heroines. Princess Leia could have been one, but she wound up as a space-going Honoria Glossop.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
That's nothing, in the DVD forum there's a thread about missing nudity from movies, and that could easily wind up discussing the post-apocalyptic genre.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/60#post_3958113
I have really got to dig out my copy of Logan's Run. I don't remember any orgy. I remember a vague profile of boob in the ice caves from Ms. Agutter, and a naked corpse frozen behind ice in the same sequence, and vague bodies in water in the skinny-dipping scene. Or maybe the batteries in my outrageometer are flat.

You're forgetting a lot of nudity. Agutter shows way more than "a vague profile of a boob"...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/60#post_3958978

You're forgetting a lot of nudity. Agutter shows way more than "a vague profile of a boob"...

Is that the scene when she strips off in the ice cave, if so it's just nudity, nothing sexual about that particular scene so to me it would be PG, just for that scene, it's been a while since i saw it so maybe some of the early scenes are beyond PG status, i think A Room With A View had brief full frontal male nudity but is a PG over here in the UK.

I notice IMDB mentions a remake of Logan's Run with Ryan Gosling where everyone dies aged 21 instead of 30.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Colin Jacobson said:
You're forgetting a lot of nudity.  Agutter shows way more than "a vague profile of a boob"...
I guess I better start paying more attention to these things, but the ice cave scene is pretty fleeting, as are most of the others I recall, and before blu, most were barely visible due to the lighting. Unfortunately, I can't find a Capalert review for Logan's Run or Barbarella, so I remain in the dark as to what the big deal is with either. :P

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
FoxyMulder said:
Is that the scene when she strips off in the ice cave, if so it's just nudity, nothing sexual about that particular scene so to me it would be PG, just for that scene, it's been a while since i saw it so maybe some of the early scenes are beyond PG status, i think A Room With A View had brief full frontal male nudity but is a PG over here in the UK.
I notice IMDB mentions a remake of Logan's Run with Ryan Gosling where everyone dies aged 21 instead of 30.
There's the potentially revealing (thigh-flashing) tabard she wears when she beams into Logan's apartment when they first meet. There's stripping off in the ice cave, and there's the through-water shots in the skinny-dipping scene. I'd put the nudity on a par with Hammer's When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth and like Logan's Run that got an "A" (equivalent PG) here. None of the nudity is really sexualised. Voyeuristic at worst.
Barbarella's nudity is voyeuristic as well, it's the sexual themes of the movie that get it the original "X" and the modern-day "15" here more than the actual nudity.
ISTR in the original novel by William F Nolan and George Clayton Johnson, Last Day is your 21st Birthday (bummer, eh?).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/60#post_3958993

The nudity in "Logan's Run" would make it a US "PG-13" at least today, and I suspect it'd be "R". Dunno how different the UK system is.

IMDB lists "Room" as unrated, but other sources call it "PG" in the US. I find it really tough to believe the MPAA would let a film with full-frontal male nudity go through with such a mild rating in the mid--80s!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/90#post_3959051
I guess I better start paying more attention to these things, but the ice cave scene is pretty fleeting, as are most of the others I recall, and before blu, most were barely visible due to the lighting. Unfortunately, I can't find a Capalert review for Logan's Run or Barbarella, so I remain in the dark as to what the big deal is with either.

The ice cave nudity was really obvious on non-anamorphic DVD on my old 27-inch TV! And there's also the orgy scene already mentioned...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A ROOM WITH A VIEW was unrated here in the US for that scene, which threatened the whole movie with an unwarranted R. The lack of a rating didn't seem to hurt its excellent boxoffice performance.
LOGAN'S RUN would likely be a PG-13 today, but back then no one, not even my parents who took my 11-year-old self and 7-year-old sister, seemed to mind. So many PG movies from the 70s would be PG-13 today; one that I always thought might go to an R due to its seamy content was THE GETAWAY.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Colin Jacobson said:
The nudity in "Logan's Run" would make it a US "PG-13" at least today, and I suspect it'd be "R". 
The reality of the situation is that Logan's Run would not be released with that nudity today. Those scenes would be toned down (bra and panties, but no exposed flesh), and the violence would be amped up to push it into PG-13.
For example:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
JoshZ said:
The reality of the situation is that Logan's Run would not be released with that nudity today. Those scenes would be toned down (bra and panties, but no exposed flesh), and the violence would be amped up to push it into PG-13.
If that doesn't speak volumes about Hollywood. :(

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
MS Fonda is still in her prime. Saw her in "33 Variations" at the Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles last year. A Magnificent performance in a great play.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/60#post_3957771
BTW, have you ever come across encountered Brooke Shields' Brenda Starr? There was an awful DVD release with the picture open matte on one side and letterboxed down on the other.
If memory serves, that was a TV movie originally.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Gary Seven /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/90#post_3960002
If memory serves, that was a TV movie originally.

Filmed in 1986 and not released for many years due to a legal dispute over distribution and television rights, it was made for the cinema. It was released in 1989 in the UK and 1992 in the USA where it flopped badly, Timothy Dalton went on to shoot his first Bond film, The Living Daylights, straight after making this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks