What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Bambi II -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I generally don't review or comment on sequels that come 60+ years after the original, but Bambi was the first film that I saw in a theater. I wasn't permitted to have home video as a child.

To be quite honest, I was expecting the worst. This film, which is really a mid-quel, takes place around halfway through the original.

And it's an interesting production. It makes use of original artwork and backgrounds, scanned for new use, original music, characters, etc.

While not up the either the story-telling or animated power of the original, this is a good film, and great entertainment for children. Technically, it's very interesting, and comparisons to the original abound.

Came in as a naysayer. Left as a believer.

Made by DisneyToon Studios, which was set up to create sequels. I've read that this was the final hand animated project from the group, but I don't know that for certain. Just passing information along as read.

Bambi II didn't have big shoes to fill.

It had HUGE shoes to fill, and even the idea would give many pause.

While this is not a classic in any sense of the word, it is a nice film.

No embarrassment here.

And one of the few newer films that can actually be recommended for children.

Nicely done.

RAH

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
We can get cheapquel crap like this and Fox & The Hound II on Blu-Ray, but not Aladdin, The Little Mermaid or Pocahontas? :(

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Robert Harris said:
I generally don't review or comment on sequels that come 60+ years after the original, but Bambi was the first film that I saw in a theater. I wasn't permitted to have home video as a child.

To be quite honest, I was expecting the worst. This film, which is really a mid-quel, takes place around halfway through the original.

And it's an interesting production. It makes use of original artwork and backgrounds, scanned for new use, original music, characters, etc.

While not up the either the story-telling or animated power of the original, this is a good film, and great entertainment for children. Technically, it's very interesting, and comparisons to the original abound.

Came in as a naysayer. Left as a believer.

Made by DisneyToon Studios, which was set up to create sequels. I've read that this was the final hand animated project from the group, but I don't know that for certain. Just passing information along as read.

Bambi II didn't have big shoes to fill.

It had HUGE shoes to fill, and even the idea would give many pause.

While this is not a classic in any sense of the word, it is a nice film.

No embarrassment here.

And one of the few newer films that can actually be recommended for children.

Nicely done.

RAH
Ernest Rister would be rolling over in his grave if he read this. If he was actually in a grave, which he is not. But he does post over at some blu ray forum type place. Can't remember the name. -R

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert Harris said:
Considering the profession you have chosen and your interest in HT, would it be correct to describe that last statement as ironic?:)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

More what might be considered non-sequitor humor. As a child, television was just appearing, black & white, possibly 6" screens with magnifiers. That was my "home theater." We were early, possibly first in the neighborhood. People would come in to view the test pattern.

RAH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert Harris said:
More what might be considered non-sequitor humor.  As a child, television was just appearing, black & white, possibly 6" screens with magnifiers.  That was my "home theater."  We were early, possibly first in the neighborhood.  People would come in to view the test pattern.

RAH

I'm from near that period, though I can't remember screens quite that small. I do remember our first "color" tv. It was a b&w with a plastic overlay with horizontal colored stripes. Top to bottom it went blue, green, brown...something like that. Really worked good too.:rolleyes:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My parents were born in the 1950s, and they tell me that neither of them had color TV until the early 1970s. Nor do very many color photographs of them as children, if any, exist. And they were not poor.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I didn't have colour TV as a child either, though I do recall memories of seeing Bambi in the theatre at about four years old. Ironically, the memory is associated with my first viewings of the poster for Jaws, which was playing in the adjacent theatre. My parents were not what you would call early adopters of technology (first colour TV in 1981, first VCR in 1986, first DVD player ~2000, and first BD player last year), and I would call myself a 2nd-gen adopter (first BD player in 08). I like the bugs to be mostly worked out first. I'll admit to initially being surpirsed by RAH's comments regarding this release, but upon discovering that Andreas Deja was involved, not surprised as much.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
A mid-quel? I never heard of a mid-quel before. I wonder if it uses material from Felix Salten's novel. Bambi is a metaphysical story. The original film only used a small portion of the book, but it captured Salten's intentions brilliantly. I guess there is room for a mid-quel. As a connoisseur of vintage Disney, I have little tolerance for their current product, but I might give this mid-quel a look-see.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mid-quel, not my term, means that it took place in the middle of the original film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks