What's new

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
No offense to the real firefighters in this thread but I enjoy Backdraft as big budget entertainment and not a documentary on real Firefighting.

I’m that regard I think it succeeds.

Not a firefighter. Even as dumb escapist entertainment, I've always found this movie to be pretty poor.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
No offense to those in the fire-fighting profession, but Backdraft is one of my favorites from the 1990's. Never took it for 'fact-based' how-to fight a fire. It's a story of family succession, sibling rivalry, and ultimately, the redemption of two brothers who carried a life-long grudge, almost to the point of no return. Has a great cast giving great performances, some amazing special effects, and a good solid mystery at its core. Everyone involved did their utmost to make 'an entertainment'.

If I want a documentary on fire-fighting I'll watch one, thanks.

If I want to be told a good yarn I'll take Backdraft - hands down - over Ladder 49 or any of the other 'fire-themed' fluff that's gone after it. Just an opinion.

And, just in case - went to see it with two friends when it originally came out theatrically - one who was a fireman, the other whose father and brother were firemen. Neither complained. In fact we all enjoyed it, and the capping off of a great evening at the show with pizza and talk at an adjacent restaurant made for a memorable night. Thank you, Ron Howard! Wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Apologies to those who think it's crap. But it isn't. It's fantasy and drama and damn good at both those aspirations. Want reality - look out any window.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What does that mean?
This, to me, suggests an insiders humor and respectful rivalry between two groups who were active participants within their field; no different than those who played for the Lakers vs. those who played for the Celtics.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This, to me, suggests an insiders humor and respectful rivalry between two groups who were active participants within their field; no different than those who played for the Lakers vs. those who played for the Celtics.
Perhaps. Without clarification I don’t know what he meant. I just hope it wasn’t a knock of any kind against the brave NYFD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks