What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Back to the Future -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool Well, that and I suppose I can sorta agree w/ RAH about this being not quite so bad considering the actual movies involved (and the moderate upgrade it still presents over the old DVDs). _Man_

As I said in a reply to RAH's post above, shouldn't a Blu-ray be solely judged on its quality/transfer? Why are we OK with this transfer "walking the line" and not others? I think reviews need to separate the film (subjective opinion) from the transfer (objective assessment)...If a reviewer thinks a movie is somehow not worthy of a good transfer, then we have an issue IMHO.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
So how are the discs in the tin set held in? I was really curious if the UK version used a different way to hold the discs to the tray then the US version.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

So how are the discs in the tin set held in? I was really curious if the UK version used a different way to hold the discs to the tray then the US version.

Nelson, they are in a standard foldout digipack, with a slipcover. The discs are held on regular hubs, kind of like the old Warner tv dvd sets from a few years ago. The discs are very easy to release. Hope that helps.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Xenia. I was just curious since the US version caused so much furor over the trays. Glad you're enjoying your set!

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Originally Posted by urbo73

As I said in a reply to RAH's post above, shouldn't a Blu-ray be solely judged on its quality/transfer? Why are we OK with this transfer "walking the line" and not others? I think reviews need to separate the film (subjective opinion) from the transfer (objective assessment)...If a reviewer thinks a movie is somehow not worthy of a good transfer, then we have an issue IMHO.

I agree with this. So if this were say Casablanca then it'd be an injustice and a problem but since it is "only" the BTTF films then it is OK and people should just let the issues pass? That is ridiculous to me and in a way is somewhat insulting to people who really love the movies implying that they should be happy with what they have because the films they like are basically "dumb" and not masterpieces like a Casablanca.

If one wishes to say motion pictures are a form of art then ALL movies are....you can't just pick and choose what you deem counts as art and what doesn't.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Loregnum

I agree with this. So if this were say Casablanca then it'd be an injustice and a problem but since it is "only" the BTTF films then it is OK and people should just let the issues pass? That is ridiculous to me and in a way is somewhat insulting to people who really love the movies implying that they should be happy with what they have because the films they like are basically "dumb" and not masterpieces like a Casablanca.

If one wishes to say motion pictures are a form of art then ALL movies are....you can't just pick and choose what you deem counts as art and what doesn't.
Agree 100%.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

On the other hand, does it look like film?

Absolutely not.

. . . It's fine for what it is -- a better than decent Blu-ray transfer. Just don't get me going with the use of the work "restoration."

RAH

I see nothing in his comments to indicate these films don't deserve a better transfer. But this is the transfer they got, and I for one appreciate the balanced appraisal.

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

But we don't have an issue (unless people want to invent one), because the reviewer has said no such thing. A reviewer's responsibility is convey, to the best of his or her ability, an evaluation of what's on the disc. That evaluation is often tempered by the practical reality that the version being reviewed is likely to be the only version available for the foreseeable future, and therefore each reader will want to make an individual decision whether any flaws being reported are serious enough to militate against purchasing.

RAH's standard for Blu-ray has been clearly stated from day 1: A Blu-ray should reproduce the look of the original film. On that basis, he's delivered a clear verdict on the BTTF set, in the very excerpt you quoted:

I see nothing in his comments to indicate these films don't deserve a better transfer. But this is the transfer they got, and I for one appreciate the balanced appraisal.

"It isn't the Blu-ray that I would have created, but (again) as entertainment value, and not art, it's fine.".

That just struck me (and others apparently as well) as an odd statement. Why is it fine? Why wasn't Gladiator "fine"? Was Gladiator art and this not? See what I mean? RAH's reviews are always excellent, so this just stuck out. Why settle for fine on some films and cry out for recalls on others?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

"It isn't the Blu-ray that I would have created, but (again) as entertainment value, and not art, it's fine.".

That just struck me (and others apparently as well) as an odd statement. Why is it fine? Why wasn't Gladiator "fine"? See what I mean? RAH's reviews are always excellent, so this just stuck out. Why settle for fine on some films and cry out for recalls on others?

I took that to mean that the Blu-ray wasn't art (rather than BTTF) and he was still satisfied with the final product. I can't say that that was RAH's intent and I see how other would take it exactly the way you did but that's how I read it.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Alien fan eh ? I really loved the first 2 films, but cant justify paying the price just for those 2, since I dislike the rest. If the UK anthology drops a little more in price, Ill get it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by urbo73 of a disc in which I was highly critical of the video image, only to have someone else post and tell me it's excellent. As astutely noted by The Poster Formerly Known as Man-Fai, these are not entirely objective matters.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Received my UK tin box the other day and I checked the movies on my 92" screen... What a big disappointment! Part I is okay, good in close-ups but wideshots are too processed looking (why apply edge enchantment?). Still okay I guess. But unfortunately Universal went cheap on the sequels and it shows. I bet they have been taken from the old masters done for the dvd boxsets, since these are way too soft and processed. I can't express my disappointment towards Universal. I'd bet real money that universal updates the transfers for the next boxset to celebrate 30th anniversary in 2015. I guess its good business.

The tin boxset is gorgeous however and contains many cool goodies for fans.

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben of a disc in which I was highly critical of the video image, only to have someone else post and tell me it's excellent. As astutely noted by The Poster Formerly Known as Man-Fai, these are not entirely objective matters.

It's OK Michael. We are not on the same page for some reason! If RAH decides to chime in, OK. If not, OK as well! I look forward to his reviews. My comments were pretty easy to understand I thought. Others did too. The poster with Casablanca hit it right on the head. Simple as that really - no need IMO for long posts and discussions on subjectivity/objectivity. I can imagine being tired battling the studios, and perhaps this title is not worth it. That's what I got out of it. In the end I think that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks