What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Back to the Future -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

It's not just you. That's exactly the type of post that I was talking earlier in the thread when I said that I can understand why studios don't look at message board feedback.

I see sentiments like this from time to time. I have no idea if studios are really ignoring 'the internet' because of this, it seems unlikely. But if they are, it's their loss. So there's a lot of hyperbole and unfiltered candor, so what? It doesn't invalidate the opinions. It's still in their best interest to pay attention to their customers, regardless if said customers are nice about it. They're a business not our grandmothers.

--

In other news, if you want to return your opened discs, just exchange them for a new sealed copy, and then return that. Simple.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just ordered a replacement case from this site:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=66002&catid=548

Individual cases are cheap, and shipping is fair (although more than the case, this time).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

I see sentiments like this from time to time. I have no idea if studios are really ignoring 'the internet' because of this, it seems unlikely. But if they are, it's their loss. So there's a lot of hyperbole and unfiltered candor, so what? It doesn't invalidate the opinions. It's still in their best interest to pay attention to their customers, regardless if said customers are nice about it. They're a business not our grandmothers.

--

In other news, if you want to return your opened discs, just exchange them for a new sealed copy, and then return that. Simple.
Most retail store will open the new one just so you can't do this.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TonyD

Most retail store will open the new one just so you can't do this.

Really? I've never seen that happen. It's fairly common advise so I suppose retailers would do something about it eventually.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Wal-Mart and Toys R Us do it too. I suppose it's all dependent on how bright the person is at the customer service desk...

I've actually had problems on 2 occassions in the past where the person opening my new package to prevent me from returning it for a refund damaged my new package.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I feel bad for people who lost money, I really do, but that video is hilarious. What awful packaging! It's almost like they designed it as a prank on the buyers. You can see the discs, touch them, but can't have them!

I was vaguely considering buying this set, but no way am I throwing my money away on this garbage, the DVDs are fine.

Originally Posted by rdf8585

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Glad I avoided pre-ordering these, and while I love the first, the other two are very average, if not below. Not worth the price considering the comments I've read. Looks like I'll wait for a re-release.

StevenW

Second Unit
I can't believe I read that someone threw their set away!! Insanity! Yes these cases are probably in contention for the worst media cases in history but come on. The movies are still what matters right? Just print some nice custom artwork that's available on various forums.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I want to give a big thanks to Nelson Au for his diagram on how to get the discs out of the package. Too bad the company that manufactured the set couldn't do that. I can't imagine how many people are going to be at a total loss of how to get them out of that package.

Also, I bet that Universal will soon be offering some sort of mail-in program for a more normal packaging option soon. This package is just too terrible and susceptible to breaking the discs to not force them to offer a non-moronic option.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Having read all of this beforehand, I took the opportunity to look at the set at a store this evening, already at peace with myself for not buying the US package.

I think even the slipcover looks cheap, and what would kill me about having this thing sitting on my shelf is that the set -- with or without the slipcover on it -- isn't squared off, but looks like it's already been through some kind of stress that makes the spine appear angled, like a worn book. I'm not describing this well but you'll know what I mean when you see it.

At this point I just might go for that collector's edition in the tin. But either way, the UK gets my dollars.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
I think even the slipcover looks cheap, and what would kill me about having this thing sitting on my shelf is that the set -- with or without the slipcover on it -- isn't squared off, but looks like it's already been through some kind of stress that makes the spine appear angled, like a worn book. I'm not describing this well but you'll know what I mean when you see it.

I never even bother to keep the slipcovers. Disc problems and errors are one thing - none of us, as consumers, can do anything about that. But the packaging? That's another story altogether. If the packaging bothers me THAT much, I'll do something about it.

One question, though - if the angled appearance of the spine intermingled with the rest of your Blu-Ray collection is a "deal breaker", how is the TIN going to be any better?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
(The tin would go on a shelf with other over-sized or odd-sized sets.)

And not to make a serious issue of this, but what would bother me about the angled spine is not whether it fits neatly on a shelf with other DVDs and BLUs, but that it looks "wrong" or "damaged".

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just don't understand why studios cannot stick to packaging like the Blade Runner or Godfather case for multiple discs.......and throw a coverslip on it if you like.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With the continuing discussion of packaging, my primary problem after ease of use, is that it can allow the intrusion of dirt. Cheap comes third.

RAH

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I went ahead and ordered some of those 6-disc cases. (I needed some, anyway.)

However, I e-mailed Universal last night from their web site, and received a reply just now:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the "Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy" Blu-Ray packaging. We will forward your comments to the appropriate department.

Additionally we will send you a diagram outlining the recommended way to insert and remove discs with this new package design. Because we cannot send attachments from this system, you will receive a separate email with the PDF attachment.

Again, thank you. We hope that you will enjoy this and future Universal releases."

More to come...

Arild

Supporting Actor
Additionally we will send you a diagram outlining the recommended way to insert and remove discs with this new package design.

Well, that just says it all, doesn't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks