What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It appears that the bluray is the same as the download I got off Amazon -- but I get an isolated music track and trailers on the bluray. It's interesting about the controversy of there being a stereo track on this. There is also a controversy about a stereo track on the Lucy version as well. Can anyone clear that one up? There has been a legend that the movie was filmed in stereo but because Lucy's singing was so bad they released it in mono.

Fine detail and textures from beginning to the end and artefact free movements will distinguish the Blu-ray from the stream even if the stream is now based on the new master.
From what I have heard Amazon also does not have the best sound quality so sound will probably be improved, too.

Plus you will never have to watch any part of the movie with less than perfect 1080p resolution even when a lot of people use Amazon at the time or if your connection slows down for other reasons. :)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Lucys Mame was certainly only in mono.
Hiwever Auntie mamae I saw always in stereo when growing up and went to a few select stereo showings of the UCLA print.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Isn’t the Lucy Mame soundtrack recording in Stereo? There is an interesting section in a Angela Lansbury bio, which said that she was very interested in making a movie of Mame, but Lucille Balls husband basically bought the rights for her.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I wonder if the LP is the same recording as the soundtrack. If so, couldn’t they use it a la Vitaphone, to make at least the musical numbers in the movie in Stereo?

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Lucy always claimed that Angela Lansbury was asked to do the movie and she turned it down. Angela always said she wanted to do it but wasn't asked. Hmm. You can see a clip of Angela and Bea Arthur doing "Bosom Buddies" at the Tonys and it is awesome! You can see Angela's sly, dry humor and nuanced take on the character. She's still alive -- let's have her do a remake!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
ABC put up half of the money for Mame, or at least enough for an "in association with" credit, and because of that, the producers of CBS's Here's Lucy were forbidden to mention then name of the film Lucille Ball was starring in when she met Lucy Carter! The show went off the air the same year.

Angela Lansbury returned to the role of Mame in a 1983 Broadway revival that coincided with the original production of La Cage Aux Folles. There were rumors it was taped and intended for broadcast on Showtime but somehow the rights fell through and no one has proven whether a usable copy still exists.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is an audio interview from the 1950's with Rosalind Russell taliking about the stage version version of "Auntie Mame" which she was still appearing in at the time of the interview.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
you mention the 6 Oscar nominations. yet it was left out of the categories that were the most obvious and deserving; Art Direction/Set Decoration and Costume Design. also, one of the great omissions in history was that of snubbing Coral Browne. she was fantastic. such great line deliveries.

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
you mention the 6 Oscar nominations. yet it was left out of the categories that were the most obvious and deserving; Art Direction/Set Decoration and Costume Design. also, one of the great omissions in history was that of snubbing Coral Browne. she was fantastic. such great line deliveries.
Well fame comes at a Price ;) ...
1614801168359.png

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Came across a copy of the film soundtrack on eBay---it's great to FINALLY hear this music in stereo! And it makes me wish the original 4-channel stereo soundtrack from the film itself could be located, but at this late date it seems unlikely that such a thing will ever happen...

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Came across a copy of the film soundtrack on eBay---it's great to FINALLY hear this music in stereo! And it makes me wish the stereo tracks from the film itself could be located, but at this late date it seems unlikely that such a thing will ever happen...

View attachment 144584
Looks like a bootleg. Film Score Monthly did a legitimate CD release paired with Max Steiner's Rome Adventure.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Just out of curiosity, looked up the original LP, which was released in both mono (in 1958) and stereo (1959). Since the stereo mixes of the complete recording sessions seem to be lost, the only stereo material out there on this film would appear to be the tracks that appeared on this LP (and later CD).

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The disc is from the "Soundtrack Library" label, which---yep, now that I look it up on Discogs, seems to be a label that releases "unofficial" material. Thing is, this disc contains far more material than the Film Score Monthly release, which came along a couple of years later. The FSM release only contains about 20 minutes of material from Auntie Mame, and this disc runs about 60 minutes. It says "The complete score with the 65 piece Warner Bros. orchestra, tracks 1-7. ("Auntie Mame Soundtrack Sessions"). Also included are the tracks from the original LP release performed with a 35 piece orchestra, tracks 8-15, ("Stereo Soundtrack Album")."

Here's the track listing, if anyone is curious:

1Main Title-The Will-The Party-Patrick Sleeps - 5:13
2The Halo-The Martini-Bully For Bixby-Chu Chin Chow - 3:41
3Lady Iris-Job Hunting-Christmas - 4:46
4The Plantation-The Hunt-Around The World-Beau's Death - 8:43
5Mame Returns-Writing The Book-Gooch's Makeover - 3:55
6The Upsons-Jackpot-Finale - 7:36
7Alternate-Beau's Death - 2:01
8Main Title - 3:24
9Patrick - 2:50
10The Martini - 2:29
11Lady Iris - 3:30
12Plantation-Fox Hunt - 2:47
13Mame Goes Abroad - 3:21
14Miss Gooch And Finale - 1:53
15Theme From Auntie Mame - 3:08
The HTF doesn't approve of giving publicity to bootlegs. Just sayin'.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
The HTF doesn't approve of giving publicity to bootlegs. Just sayin'.
Well, let me edit my reply slightly, so no publicity given. Perhaps you can edit your replies as well, so you're not passing on publicity in turn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks