1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ash vs Evil Dead: Season One -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Fans of Sam Raimi's 35 year-old creation, which made a phenomenon of then 23 year-old Bruce Campbell, returned last year courtesy of Starz, as a ten episode, 30 minutes series. It's now entering its sophomore year with ten more, which should thrill new and old fans alike.

The original film had a myriad of home video incarnations, and then there's Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness. Going back to the early days of home video software, there were special editions, inclusive of a DVD covered with the actual Book of the Dead, which I would suggest not opening.

If the original Evil Dead films were just plain fun, the series, given the lack of time constraints take it a step further, and its all to the better.

Shot with an Alexa, and presented in Dolby True HD 7.1, the series both looks and sounds amazing.

For those who appreciate quality packaging, the new Blu-ray, courtesy of Anchor Bay comes encased in a a slipcover, emblazoned with a striking negative / positive image of Ash ready for business, chainsaw in hand. I usually drop slipcovers into the nearest trash receptacle, but this one's a keeper.

A terrific series, that played well in broadcast, but which takes on a life of its own via Blu-ray with superb audio and video, allowing an up-rez to 4k to shine.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Will*B, Bryan^H and TravisR like this.
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I loved this show so I'm glad to hear it passes the AV muster. While I guess you can call the show serialized, it was more like they made a 5 hour movie and ran 30 minutes of it each week.

3. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    This series is a triumph. I've been a fan since the theatrical release of the first "Evil Dead", and I've accumulated a sizable library of reissues of the movies on home video. A TV series could have been a disaster and a huge disappointment, but Bruce Campbell and company did us fans proud. Hail to the King, baby!

bgart13 and Will*B like this.
  4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I loved the start of this! Didn't get to see the whole series so I've been patiently waiting for this release. It looked great and sounded great on cable, so I can't wait to see the bluray version.

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Hmmm. I don't how I feel about this show. I loved the first episode, the second was OK, 3-5 were a chore for me to get through. Episodes 6, and 7 were great again(great scares, and Ash written very well), and restored my interest in the show, and the final episodes again left a lot to be desired. I have never been this mixed on a series either I like it or I don't, but given the charms of Bruce Campbell( and being a fan of the Evil Dead films) it is hard for me to ignore it.
    I might revisit it on Blu-Ray.

6. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith

NOW he tells me...

B-ROLL likes this.
  7. davidmatychuk

David Matychuk
    Fantastic commentary tracks.

8. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I'll have to check these out. I've watched the Comic Con vids on YouTube and they were pretty entertaining, I'm sure these tracks are a lot of fun.

The first episode is my favorite. Great picture, great use of surround, great introduction to the new characters, just a great start to the series. I think it's the only episode that Sam Raimi directed and in my opinion, it shows. It's not that the other episodes weren't good, but they had a slightly different feel.

The last couple of episodes were great.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  9. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    If you do open the Book of the Dead DVD case, as I did, just remember that the third word of the dark incantation you'll need to secure it again is... uh... Nickel. No, wait, Necktie? Oh shoot, I know it's an N-word... Maybe try mumbling it.

B-ROLL and davidmatychuk like this.
  10. davidmatychuk

David Matychuk
    I forget, do I move my lips when I read? I guess I'll find out soon enough... IMG_4206.JPG IMG_4209.JPG IMG_4210.JPG IMG_4211.JPG

George_W_K likes this.
  11. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I finally got around to watching this. Holy crap, what a great show. Worthy to put next to my Evil Dead DVD incarnations.

After belly-laughing like a toddler through several episodes, I checked Rotten Tomatoes and it's 99%. Tuck that rating right into your cleavage, which I definitely have not ever noticed before.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If you haven't seen S2 yet, the show gets even better.