What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Arrival -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As RAH stated, buy the 4K/UHD Release that also has the BD disc. Before I took my 4K/OLED plunge a few months back, I started to buy 4K/UHD Releases using that same strategy.
Exactly what I did too.

Did the same with 3D bluray too. Started buying them about a year before becoming 3D capable. Always think ahead.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That's exactly it. In most places, there are local city ordinances, and sometimes additional county or state regulations, about exit signs. In general, it seems that older buildings with less visible ones may be grandfathered in, but that any new theater needs to have it clearly displayed, which of course makes for a less than ideal viewing environment.

There's a funny bit in the "Steve Jobs" movie where the Jobs character wants to have the exit lights turned off for just thirty seconds during a video presentation, and being vexed when he absolutely cannot get permission for it.

My favorite IMAX theater has just been negatively affected by this. They completely renovated the seating area and installed new state of the art laser projectors, but also installed blue lights in the entrance corridors located to the left and right of the screen (which used to be completely unlit, and yet, never was an issue) - the spill from those blue lights now intrudes into the screening room and shines on about a quarter of the screen on either side during the entire movie. It seriously detracts from the presentation in a major way. I spoke to the CQO for IMAX, who personally visited the theater, saw the lights, and yet was powerless to affect any change in the situation. They spent about $4 million on a laser projector and then ruin the effect with a $4 light strip.

Don't know why they couldn't install "blinders," similar to what a horse wears to keep him on his straight-ahead course. It would be a matter of adding a flap to the side of the sign nearest to the screen that could be swung away from the screen, thus minimizing its effect on the image while remaining completely visible to the audience.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cost could be one reason - at this point Arrival is due out in the UK on Monday
Amazon have the Blu at $18.59 and the 4k at $52 equivalent!!!
If cost is such a consideration then are you serious about upgrading to OLED and 4K player? I asked because it appears the difference in UK pricing between the two formats is a lot greater than here in the States.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I live in Portugal so check prices all over Europe as well as US couldn't believe UK price of£40 ended up buying from US where it was much cheaper including postage.Did the same for Passengers and Billy Lynn which include 3D as well.
To be fair, most other 4K releases here are in the £20-24 area as opposed to £15 for a Blu Ray. Perhaps Arrival will come down in price next week..?

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
ended up buying from US where it was much cheaper including postage.

Arrival 4K only seems available in the UK from Amazon at £40. Although it's region free, I guess the accompanying Blu Ray and bonus features will be region locked - is this not a problem for you importing to Portugal, or have you a region free player..?

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Just popped in to HMV on the way home from work and the UK hasn't got a 4K release of this film!

Amazon France and Italy appear to have one (with their language pictured on the front of the case) but nothing on the HMV computer system for the UK. The staff there were surprised too. The £40 one on UK Amazon is obviously an import from somewhere....

So much for me 'future proofing' my purchases - I've bought the Blu instead.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I've been in touch with 'Entertainment One', the UK distributor of this film as to why there is no 4K release for us when France, Italy, and Germany all have one. This is part of their reply:

'Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the conversion from VHS to DVD, the battle with laser disc, the Blu-ray vs HD DVD war, there was a massive education piece that the industry did not articulate effectively to help the consumer.

It was frustrating for early adopters to upgrade their catalogue only to find the chosen format obsolete in the format war & having to upgrade yet again within the space of 5yrs.

We have to be diligent & ensure that while we want to support the consumer it can be done in a cost effective way for both parties, but also the market needs to dictate this. With digital viewing (in 4K) via Netflix et al more prevalent this is also a challenge to physical market, as the costs are significantly lower than the manufacturing for Blu-ray.

I hope you enjoy Arrival & while we do not have it yet in 4K, this format is in discussion & we hope to have some news as it is road mapped in the near future.'

Not sure if this means the 4K market in the UK is not secure or just that they didn't feel able to risk the investment in it or both? Not good for us in the UK relying on physical media and it has put a bit of a speed bump in my plans to upgrade to 4K playback and display later this year...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you really want it, just buy the title from the U.S. or one of the European countries where it was released if it's not cost-prohibitive. Unlike Blu-ray, 4K UHD discs have no region coding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks