What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Arrival -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I love Arrival.

It's a film that forces you to think, which is probably good exercise, especially after viewing any number of super-hero epics.

A beautifully mounted film, concerning the arrival of alien visitors, and their desires.

The film, directed by Denis Villeneuve, was shot with Alexas at 2.8k, and finished as a 2k DI.

I've not seen this film theatrically, but have on DVD, Blu-ray, and now in 4k mit HDR.

Initially I though that the film appeared overly dark, with clotted blacks, so I checked the 4k out further on a Sony 5000 projector, which looked very similar to my results on the 665.

Bringing up brightness, affected black level, so I viewed as is.

There's nothing wrong here, and I'm presuming that this is the way the film is intended to look, as the studio has checked, and confirmed that all is well.

I believe them.

That noted, aside from several lowish-key exterior flashbacks, the film comes off with crisp blacks, and minimal shadow detail. It works. It just isn't what I expected after viewing the DVD.

Entertainment value is extremely high, and thought-provoking.

Performances, with Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker and Michael Stuhlberg in the leads are commensurate with the storyline.

Audio is rich, full, and nicely directional

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I humbly agree with loving this film! Having done no research in advance of screening, I had no expectations and was blown away. Glad to hear that it will look good on disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Initially I though that the film appeared overly dark

That reflects how it looked when I saw it in theaters. I imagine that in a perfect light controlled room, it would have looked great, but since most theaters have things like red "EXIT" signs and floor lights, the dark look of the film combined with the room's ambient light made it look less impressive than I would have expected.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I have it on order as well. All the reviews have basically mentioned black level and the way the movie was shot. I always like knowing this going on, so I dont obsess with something being wrong with my setup.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Couldn't be more pleased that it's correct, confirming the studio's info.

If there was a problem, they would have duly noted.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think this movie definitely needs to be played back in a pitch black room, given the extreme low light and dimness of the image. Unfortunately, that's not really possible in any commercial movie theater. I'm hoping to have better luck with that at home.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Couldn't be more pleased that it's correct, confirming the studio's info.

If there was a problem, they would have duly noted.
During the movie discussion thread back in November, some of us stated then that the darkness of this film would be a topic of discussion when it was released on video discs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think this movie definitely needs to be played back in a pitch black room, given the extreme low light and dimness of the image. Unfortunately, that's not really possible in any commercial movie theater. I'm hoping to have better luck with that at home.
Yep, I'll be viewing this disc at night in total darkness except from what's coming off my LG panel.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I should have my review for this film up over the weekend but agree wholeheartedly with Sir RAH's assessment here of the film. Arrival is one of the best films I have seen in a long time!

I will also have an interview posted with Ted Chiang, award winning author of the short story (Story of your Life) which this film was adapted from.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'll be delighted to have this on Blu. Wow! A major Hollywood sci-fi/fantasy film NOT released in Real 3D! I love it as it is (and that is not to disparage 3D, which I also love).

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
We're very lucky to have an Arclight Theater in Bethesda, Maryland. So when I saw this film it was in a pitch black theater without the blasted red Exit signs throwing light on the screen. The film is dark, and very rich in its blackness. I don't have 4k equipment, so am hoping the blu looks good. A wonderful and thought-provoking film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I should have my review for this film up over the weekend but agree wholeheartedly with Sir RAH's assessment here of the film. Arrival is one of the best films I have seen in a long time!

I will also have an interview posted with Ted Chiang, award winning author of the short story (Story of your Life) which this film was adapted from.

An ex-patriot Brit, screwing up one of the quintessential points of proper English grammar?

It was none other than Sir Winston Churchill, who uttered those famous words...

"One should never use a preposition to end a sentence with."

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
An ex-patriot Brit, screwing up one of the quintessential points of proper English grammar?

It was none other than Sir Winston Churchill, who uttered those famous words...

"One should never use a preposition to end a sentence with."

When in Rome...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I know this is the 4K discussion, but my concerns about the Blu-ray version is the reported macro-blocking issues in some dark areas.

I'm buying the 4K version but I don't have a 4K player yet and, besides, the Booth Bijou Garage Theater doesn't have a 4K projector (and isn't likely to have one anytime soon). So, how the standard Blu-ray looks is important.

Mark

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
That reflects how it looked when I saw it in theaters. I imagine that in a perfect light controlled room, it would have looked great, but since most theaters have things like red "EXIT" signs and floor lights, the dark look of the film combined with the room's ambient light made it look less impressive than I would have expected.
That would be one of the first things I would fix. exit signs shining on the screen,bare light bubs shining on the crowd.Also too high watt bulbs..wrong ap. plates in projectors ! masking not working. Maryland the signs had to be green,someone thought red means stop.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I may be alone in this, but why can't exit signs be put on a dimmer? The human eye adjusts to light levels, meaning that a dimmed exit sign would still be visible at half brightness in a dark theatre. The answer is probably that there is some regulation preventing this. *sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks