What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Aquaman -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
WB's new 4k UHD Blu-ray of Aquaman is a magnificent affair, with brilliant colors, and a superb, all-encompassing Dolby Atmos track.

Very loud, with superb channel separation.

Did I mention really pretty colors?

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Except, why, oh why, does Warner insist that their discs default to the redundant DTS-HD MA 5.1 track instead of the superior Dolby Atmos?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'm so completely burned out on superhero films (particularly Marvel's Universe but DC to some degree too) that I didn't bother going to see 'Aquaman' in the theater and I've got next to zero interest in watching it at home.

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
...probably because the majority of people still don't have Atmos or dts-X

It’s still redundant and unnecessary. The Dolby Atmos track is all that’s needed, because...

If you have Dolby Atmos, that’s what it will play back as.

If you don’t have Dolby Atmos, it will then decode as Dolby TrueHD 7.1.

And if you don’t have Dolby TrueHD, then it will output as Dolby Digital.

So the Atmos track already has everything in it that the DTS-HD MA track includes, and is equally playable across the board. Including the redundant DTS track just uses up disc space that could be better used for extra bonus features or higher bitrate video.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This one's worth seeking out in 3D. Fine depth, plus everything Robert said. I was going to quit buying the Marvel/DC lines, as they are becoming very redundant, but I like AQUAMAN.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am just crossing my fingers that the last of these DC/Marvel blus will be available somewhere in 3D. After that with my collection complete they can stop producing 3D movies and carve them in stone for all I care!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
So this mediocre superhero movie is available in a 4k blu-ray, while Lawrence of Arabia isn't? Sigh....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So this mediocre superhero movie is available in a 4k blu-ray, while Lawrence of Arabia isn't? Sigh....
Perhaps, it is mediocre, but it's going to make a lot more money for Warner on 4K disc than what LOA would make for Sony.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

This is a bizarre statement. Even if the films were released by the same company - and they're not - the 2 have nothing to do with each other. No one thought "we'd like to release 'LOA' 4K, but sorry - 'Aquaman' took its slot!"

Maybe be happy that movies like "Aquaman" might convince more people to buy 4K players and thus promote the format rather than threadcrapping!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Sorry, but I probably have seen Lawrence at least 5 or 6 times and have always found it a duty rather than a pleasure that was dull as dishwater, whether in the theatre, on regular TV, Laser Disc, tape or disc.

Aqua-man, however, although it has no snob appeal is a fun romp that gives me a couple of hours of fun — what I want from a movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but I probably have seen Lawrence at least 5 or 6 times and have always found it a duty rather than a pleasure that was dull as dishwater, whether in the theatre, on regular TV, Laser Disc, tape or disc.

Aqua-man, however, although it has no snob appeal is a fun romp that gives me a couple of hours of fun — what I want from a movie.

There you lost me. "LoA" is a genuine classic, a lively, consistently compelling film with a legitimate claim as the greatest movie ever made.

"Aquaman" wasn't even the best superhero film released in December 2018!

I honestly have no clue how anyone could ever view a movie as dynamic as "LoA" to be "dull as dishwater!" :blink:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, this "Aquaman" thread has been sidetracked enough with LOA references. Thank you.

Now back to "Aquaman", I watched it three times in a movie theater so this 4K/UHD disc will be purchased later on this year during Black Friday sales.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched in 3D last night. No major projections out of the screen that I can recall, but nice depth and beautiful undersea settings.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It’s still redundant and unnecessary. The Dolby Atmos track is all that’s needed, because...

So the Atmos track already has everything in it that the DTS-HD MA track includes, and is equally playable across the board. Including the redundant DTS track just uses up disc space that could be better used for extra bonus features or higher bitrate video.
And if you don't have 7.1, your receiver should fold that Dolby TrueHD 7.1 down to 5.1 or whatever you have (2.0, 2.1, 3.1, etc.).

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.

-Good to know thanks for the update. I have still to upgrade to dts-X and Atmos so this is all new to me. :thumbsup:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had planned on watching something else this afternoon, but I found myself watching this in UHD today. RAH is right: very beautiful, very loud (the IMax scenes were REALLY vivid, especially when they weren't under the sea). The plot is pretty by-the-numbers for a superhero film, but so many in the cast are favorites including Patrick Wilson who I thought made a splendid villain.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I bought this for my son's birthday and we watched it for the first time yesterday. Terrible film (and too long!) but absolutely stunning visuals. One of the very best UHD releases to encourage your friends to upgrade to an OLED television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks