What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Apollo 13 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I have the 20th Anniversary Blu-ray version of Apollo 13. It came with an iTunes compatible digital code. When (if) Apple adds the 4K version to its database I should end up getting the 4K version for free via my Apple TV 4K. We'll see.

Mark

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
"And everything is perfect here."

I couldn't agree more. I bought my 4k tv back in January but only just purchased an Xbox one S over Black Friday and set it up this weekend.

Apollo 13 is the first UHD blu I spun. I was awestruck by this transfer. This has to be the benchmark for catalogue titles going forward.

I had previously watched a few uhd streaming movies on prime and Netflix, and they looked really nice, but nowhere near this nice. And Kong and GotG2 looked outstanding on vudu in Dolby vision, but they are brand new cgi heavy films that should look phenomenal.

I also watched Labyrinth on UHD blu, and it too is according to Brian Henson a full 4k scan and restoration of original e5mm elements. And while it looks lovely and appreciably better than its blu ray version, its a subtle better.

Apollo 13 is not subtle, it is jaw dropping.

Some highlights:

The close up of Blanche's wonderfully weathered face as Marylin and the girls fill her in on the potential trouble brewing.

The wonderful colors of Marylins miniskirts and matching mascara.

The beads of sweat on Clint Howard's balding head. (Which sounds gross, but its little details lime this that help sell the stress and tension in the room.)

The overhead shot of the giant rocket assembly building is dizzying.

The re entry parachutes are perfectly crisp and actually separated from the water in the background.

I think this release may have spoiled me know as far as expectations for this format. Again, what more can you say but perfect.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks