Britton

Screenwriter
Reaction score
I had to go into my receiver and set the audio delay to 200ms to compensate for extreme lip-sync issues. Coppola’s introduction looked like a bad chop-socky movie, and the feature itself was no better. My receiver was set to like 60ms or so up to this point.

No crimson/pink issues with my Oppo 203, though it did substitute The Doors with Katy Perry...
I’ve only checked a few scenes on the Theatrical Cut on the 4K Blu-ray and I did not notice any lip sync issues. This is on a Panasonic DP-UB820 with separate HDMI cables to a LG 65C8 OLED and a Denon AVR-3808CI A/V Receiver.

It sounds like you are watching The Final Cut? I’ll check it out at some point and report back, but it may be a while before I spin that disc.

OLSinFLA

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Rich Perhai
I saw the film at the Ziegfeld also. It was literally overpowering. I thought it was a masterpiece. But I found it so disturbing I realized this was a film I could only experience once.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My copy finally arrived today from Amazon. I sampled the discs to make sure everything was in obvious working order, then redeemed the digital copy on iTunes, as I had done disc to digital on Vudu a few years ago. Anyway, at least when you redeem on iTunes, yu do get all three versions in UHD, DV, and Atmos.

One thing that did disappoint me somewhat was that the Blu-ray of the original theatrical and Redux are Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and not Atmos like the UHD discs of the same films.

Reactions: Brian L

Brian L

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
My copy finally arrived today from Amazon. I sampled the discs to make sure everything was in obvious working order, then redeemed the digital copy on iTunes, as I had done disc to digital on Vudu a few years ago. Anyway, at least when you redeem on iTunes, yu do get all three versions in UHD, DV, and Atmos.

One thing that did disappoint me somewhat was that the Blu-ray of the original theatrical and Redux are Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and not Atmos like the UHD discs of the same films.
I have not actually had a chance to pop in my discs to check, but all 4 discs of the films (two 4K, two BR) have Atmos labeling on them.

Edit: Well crap. The ‘79 and Redux BR disc is mislabeled. Neither cut is Atmos. Huge disappointment. I had read that all cuts on both formats were Atmos. I am not 4K yet, so for me, the purchase was driven by the thought of the getting a BR of the theatrical in Atmos.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/72468/apocalypsenow40thanniversaryedition4kultrahdbluray.html

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert

After redeeming that code, are you sure the Redux version is Dolby Vision and Atmos on iTunes?

Britton

Screenwriter
Reaction score

Vudu also gives you all 3 cuts in UHD, DV, and Atmos. https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Apocalypse-Now-Final-Cut-Triple-Feature-Bundle-/1230270

You can redeem the code here: https://www.vudu.com/content/redeem.html#selectPromo/_/_/1230270/_/_/_/_/_/false/_/

DP 70

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Derek
I saw in Dolby Cinema in London last night it was fab.

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Considering how this forum complains about the lack of "original mixes" every chance it gets, color me surprised over seeing moans about the lack of height channels in a film that never had them in the first place.

Brian Kidd

Cinematographer
Premium
Reaction score
Considering how this forum complains about the lack of "original mixes" every chance it gets, color me surprised over seeing moans about the lack of height channels in a film that never had them in the first place.
Atmos can be used for height, but its purpose is to create more of a "bubble" of sound that allows for audio placement in a more-realistic soundfield, rather than the ring of sound we've been used to with older surround sound formats. Honestly, while the original sound mix was fantastic, the Atmos track is superior. It doesn't fundamentally change the original audio placement. It just, for lack of a better phrase, fills it in.

This new UHD set is astonishingly beautiful.

The packaging is awful, though. It's like it was designed for a slipcover, but they decided to leave it out at the last minute to save on costs. The contents are so exhaustive and well-presented, however, that you absolutely get the maximum bang for your buck. If you're a fan of the kind of thoughtful, auteur-driven cinema that is all-too-rare these days, you owe it to yourself to get hold of it. I wholly concur with Mr. Harris: play it on the biggest screen you have with the sound system cranked. It's a transformative movie-watching experience.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Reaction score
This goes to the extreme in the "Oz" 4K thread. There people complain it might not have Atmos and also complain it might not have the original mono! <_<

Reactions: MatthewA

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just purchased the 4K UHD Blu-ray of Apocalypse Now and it was the last copy in the store!

20190907_124105a.jpg

Reactions: Craig_Ehr and PMF

Richard Kaufman

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Website
www.geniimagazine.com
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Saw this on opening day at The Ziegfeld as well. I will never forget that thwack thwack thwack sound slowly coming into clarity, then the Doors, and then the napalm. No opening or closing credits, but we did receive a printed program that is somewhere in my attic in a box. Glorious all around, I prefer the original theatrical cut.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Going back to that first screening at the Ziegfeld, I will say that sitting in the front row, the surround sounds, in particular that synthesizer-treated helicopter, seemed more pronounced. There were stereo surround speakers on both ends of the screen, and it was really loud, yet dynamic for you could hear the quieter background noise of the jungle mixed in. A magnificent track, and if this 4K looks and sounds half as good as Mr. Harris says it does, this is going to be quite a treat.
I also saw this at the Ziegfeld and yes, it was in 70mm Dolby split-surround, the first film (aside from one reel of one print of Superman, experimentally) to be so. However, there were NOT surround speakers on both ends of the screen. On both ends of the screen were left and right channels. The surround speakers at the Ziegfeld started about a third of the way back from the screen, which was the standard setup at the time.

They did add extra b-chain equipment at the Ziegfeld for this run, as they did for the original run of Close Encounters. I'm not sure what the equipment added was, but for CEOTTK, they added Baby Earthquakes.

I may have told this story here before, but as we were waiting for the film to start, my wife turned to me and inquired as to whether it was worth the hassle of getting a baby sitter and finding parking in Manhattan to come to the Ziegfeld. Before I had a chance to answer, the film started with the sound of The Doors, "The End", which sounded spectacular - better than it ever sounded on the original LP. She turned to me and said, "it's worth it!" The sound mix on the Blu-ray that included the Redux version sounded quite different to me and had nowhere near the same impact.

Reactions: lark144 and benbess

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Picked up my copy at BB for $22.95 last week, I noticed all the new 4K UHD Disney releases were $30 or more guess I will pass on any of those for now.

Reactions: PMF

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
For those that redeemed the code from this set what does it give you?
I know you get all three versions of the movie but what are the extras that you get on digital?
Does it include the Heart of Darkness?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
For those that redeemed the code from this set what does it give you?
I know you get all three versions of the movie but what are the extras that you get on digital?
Does it include the Heart of Darkness?
The Heart of Darkness is only available for purchase on iTunes and Vudu.

Reactions: Britton

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok so the code doesn’t include it, that’s what I figured

KeithDA

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Keith
We don't get our 4K physical release for this until Monday 16th with the 6 disc 'Collector's' version due out for around £29.99 ($37.21)

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tominsantafe