What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Anna -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As many of you know, when you're on a project, certain things go by the wayside.

In my case, it was any recognition of Anna, starring dancer/model-turned-actress Sasha Luss.

As I was viewing, it became apparent that it had been made by a master craftsman, but I didn't know by whom.

It's the tale of a young woman of no means, but with a brain, who ends up as a spy for the KGB. The background is slow, and methodical, and takes a leisurely half hour.

Then, all hell breaks loose.

Luke Evans, Cillian Murphy, and Helen Mirren lend support.

I'll give nothing away, except that Lionsgate's new 4k Blu-ray is so highly resolved, we learn something about Ms Luss, that in a format less than 4k we might not have known.

Color, density, black levels are beautiful, and typical of a Lionsgate release. While I viewed in HDR10, the disc is encoded with Dolby Vision. Audio is Dolby Atmos, and it's full, rich, deep, and occasionally lease-breaking.

Best to go in knowing as little as possible and just enjoy.

It's a terrific ride, with enough twists and turns to keep even the game afoot.

One of the most entertaining new films I've seen in months.

Almost forgot to mention.

Director - Luc Besson

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I know nothing about this film but you've aroused my interest! I might buy this disc just to learn what I've been missing!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have an impression about where this fits within Besson's catalogue? I think the only decent work he's done for a long while is 'Lucy' (2014), which is a pretty good action/thriller/sci-fi. But before and after that, the well has been dry for many years. The review by Mr. Harris sounds very encouraging. I want to believe.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I haven't seen it, but the reviews were mixed to negative and it sounds an awful lot like La Femme Nikita.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
The general consensus was that it was a repeat of Nikita starring his current girlfriend.
However, Besson is a skilled director and it would be worth a look I think.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The general consensus was that it was a repeat of Nikita starring his current girlfriend.
However, Besson is a skilled director and it would be worth a look I think.

There is a wonderfully choreographed restaurant sequence that is far more complex than the Marx stateroom. Beautifully done.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I really disliked this film. It was a complete mess with truly silly scenes. A “Jane Wick” wannabe without the intelligence excitement or thrills of those films.

Sasha Luss was Purdy tho.

Ymmv. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really disliked this film. It was a complete mess with truly silly scenes. A “Jane Wick” wannabe without the intelligence excitement or thrills of those films.

Sasha Luss was Purdy tho.

Ymmv. ;)
Well, I really liked this movie very much. I totally agree with RAH's assessment. A fun movie for me as I try to figure out the twists and turns of it.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Just watched this exceptionally good film, which is very old fashioned but made with much panache. The 4k image is beautiful and one of the very best I have seen. UHD is much closer to a theatrical experience than blu ray. Superior in every way to Red Sparrow, with which it has been compared.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The thing about Luc Besson is that when he's firing on all cylinders, his work is jaw-droppingly beautiful. When he's not, it can still be curiously watchable in that car-crash sort of way [like Valerian].

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I think Besson's films are always worth a watch. I wasn't particularly interested in this, but saw Best Buy had the blu-ray for $14.99 a few weeks ago, so I picked it up. (Have not watched yet.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks