What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Amelie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Amelie, from director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, is one of those little miraculous gems that occasionally finds its way into theaters.

Delightful, sweet, engaging, with a dynamism that carries you along with it, and never stops.

The film looked decidedly okay on DVD, but the imagery is so important that just okay wasn't able to service the needs of the film for a home video audience.

Blu-ray gives it everything that it needed.

This is an absolutely gorgeous Blu-ray, which captures the luminous qualities of the film, via its 2k digital intermediate as we've never seen it before on home video.

The Miramax release from Lionsgate is just perfect in every way.

For those who have never made Amelie's acquaintance, you're in for a treat.

Very Highly Recommended.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review, Robert. People around the webz are still trying to find someone who's compared the 2nd Canadian BD to the new US BD. I'm happy w/ the 2nd Canadian one, but it would be interesting to know if there's a difference. Doug

Dave Blair

Agent
Real Name
David Blair
The color palate in this film is very deliberate, especially in its use of green and red. The DVD has an excellent extra wherein the DOP explains the rational for many of the choices. I don't know if this extra is on the Blu-ray.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I have yet to see The long engagement.It seems like quite the beautiful film. What's this about the 2nd canadian BD of Amelie. Ive been reading a lot of good reviews on this ,so it's rapidly going into my wanted list.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
That was actually going to be my next question Thanks for giving me the heads up.I cry at everything.Easily.:)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
montrealfilmguy said:
I have yet to see The long engagement.It seems like quite the beautiful film. What's this about the 2nd canadian BD of Amelie. Ive been reading a lot of good reviews on this ,so it's rapidly going into my wanted list.
"A Very Long Engagement" was a decent film, but I didn't find it nearly as good "Amelie". I thought it dragged a bit but it certainly did have some unusual scenes. The one that comes to mind is the field hospital in a barn or former factory IIRC. I'll say nothing more. I actually preferred "MicMacs" to "A Very Long Engagement". To me, "MicMacs" felt closer to "Amelie" in that it tells a story with a slightly oddball character. "AVLE" is more traditional storytelling. There were two releases of "Amelie" in Canada. The first release was a French-only release by a company called TVA (I believe). Apparently, it is not a very good quality release.The second release was by Alliance. The quality is pretty good, but the downside is that the English subtitles are forced and cannot be turned off. It isn't a deal breaker if your only language is English, but it would be annoying for someone who is fluent in French.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
You mean to tell me there isn't any way to get rid of the subtitles ?? Oh boy. And i'm french so this could be visually annoying. Well french-canadian which is not french from France but more of a generic slang french.More of a formality as i've had more english friends,read more monster mags in english and been writing in english since i was 20.Learned it watching Sesame street of course. btw,just noticed your location.:)

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
i take it this Miramax one would be the one you are referring to Mr.Harris ? http://www.amazon.com/Am%C3%A9lie-Blu-ray-Audrey-Tautou/dp/B004ZG5EYC/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1312163252&sr=1-1 Awesome.Unbeatable price,all the extras,and non-imposed subtitles. It's great news considering what the Bluray.com reviewer wrote just one year ago. Unlike the old Canadian Blu-ray release of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Amelie, courtesy of TVA Films, this Blu-ray release, courtesy of Alliance, features a 1080p high-definition transfer and imposed English subtitles for the main feature. Considering the fact that a U.S. Blu-ray release of Amelie is very unlikely at this point (because of the ongoing restructuring at Miramax), the Alliance Blu-ray release comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. A definite buy.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy

i take it this Miramax one would be the one you are referring to Mr.Harris ?

http://www.amazon.com/Am%C3%A9lie-Blu-ray-Audrey-Tautou/dp/B004ZG5EYC/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1312163252&sr=1-1

Awesome.Unbeatable price,all the extras,and non-imposed subtitles.

It's great news considering what the Bluray.com reviewer wrote just one year ago.

Unlike the old Canadian Blu-ray release of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Amelie, courtesy of TVA Films, this Blu-ray release, courtesy of Alliance, features a 1080p high-definition transfer and imposed English subtitles for the main feature. Considering the fact that a U.S. Blu-ray release of Amelie is very unlikely at this point (because of the ongoing restructuring at Miramax), the Alliance Blu-ray release comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

A definite buy.

Correct. Thank you for pointing that out. Needed a few more words.

RAH

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It had been several years since I last saw this film. We watched our BD copy last night -- and it looked terrific. My only complaint was all the forced trailers before getting to the film. Chapter advance was the only option for getting past them, one at a time. I hate when the studios do this on retail releases. I can live with it on a rental, but shouldn't have to put up with a bunch of advertising on something I have purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks