1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Along Came Jones -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Feb 6, 2018.

1. 1 Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2018
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Classic Flix continues their offering of independent productions with Along Came Jones, an oddity, produced (and starring) by Gary Cooper, in an unexpected comedic role.

And it works, with a screenplay by Nunnally Johnson, based upon a novel by Alan Le May.

I should make note of a pre-feature warning that arrives on screen, telling viewers, that while this is the best the film has looked since 1945 ((I don't believe that), that there were insurmountable problems, so seat belts should remain securely fastened at all times.

To my eyes, every defeat is obvious, but what appears to be either some nitrate decomp or water damage aside, along with momentary loss of audio, there's nothing untoward here against which children must be protected.

The element, especially post-digital cleanup, looks quite nice.

As noted above, this is a most un-Cooper-like performance.

It's an extremely low budget work, with obvious rear projection, and several painted backdrops, which at times makes it look like what it is, but it's a small, good-natured film, that works.

Loretta Young, William Demarest, and Dan Duryea (still partially in noir mode), bring it all together.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

LeoA likes this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah, another BD release I'm looking forward to so I can discard the MGM DVD that I purchased many years ago.

3. ClassicFlix

ClassicFlix Stunt Coordinator

David Kawas
    Thanks Robert.

Yes, we think it looks quite nice too.

- David

Richard V likes this.