What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
That's amazing. I never knew that existed. Would have loved to have had that as a kid. I didn't even know anyone made scope lenses for super-8.

Yes, there were quite a few options for film makers and collectors. Mine is the Kowa 8Z 2x. Aspect ratio is actually 2.66:1 on Super 8 and 16mm. Plus, most higher-end projectors had 2-track stereo audio by late 70s. (Sorry for drifting off topic!)
WP_20170428_20_58_08_Pro.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just watched the first c. 15 minutes of the 4k version—and it is better! Wasn't sure I'd be able to tell. I'm going to try to wait until my grown kids have time to watch the rest of it....

Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I thought HDR wouldn’t work on old movies, though. Obviously it does. Or is that only for certain old movies, with negatives on the brink? Like The Godfather?

Its on a film by film basis. How many times am I going to have to say that 4k and HDR is not a magic button and its benefit is controlled entirely by the quality of the elements that you put into it? Obviously this was one of the cases where it benefited.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Its on a film by film basis. How many times am I going to have to say that 4k and HDR is not a magic button and its benefit is controlled entirely by the quality of the elements that you put into it? Obviously this was one of the cases where it benefited.

I just don't understand responses like this. In all likelihood people in this forum don't hang on your every word, and if the question bothered you so much why did you even reply?

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
No Contest!

Fox's 4k UHD/HDR of Ridley's Scott's, now 40 year-old sci-fi magnum opus, is magnificent in every detail.

Color, densities, grain structure, black levels, shadow detail, and last but not least, overall image resolution are so far a step above the old Blu-ray, that not only is there no reason to compare, but this could be one of those rara avis releases that causes video-cinephiles to pull the trigger on that new 4k set-up.

With so many current 4k releases, being nothing more than a new-skew up-rez, Alien is the real deal.

As an aside for those who collect interesting slipcovers, this one is a gorgeously produced affair. Get it in the correct reflective light, and you'll think that Alien blood is seeping out.

No more need be said.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Added resolution via 4k - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - You Betcha!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Well Amazon just got more of my money.
This will be fun to see in 4K.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, you're under arrest for using a promotional still of the Xenomorph from 2004's 'ALIEN VS. PREDATOR' to represent the 1979 film 'ALIEN'. They look nothing alike.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, you're under arrest for using a promotional still of the Xenomorph from 2004's 'ALIEN VS. PREDATOR' to represent the 1979 film 'ALIEN'. They look nothing alike.
The posting of that picture has nothing to do with RAH. Unfortunately, we're having issues posting the correct photos to some reviews which is very frustrating for me and our members.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Very sad to hear of the passing of the editor Terry Rawlings on Tuesday.

Reactions: PMF

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Was at movie night at Fox and got into a conversation with two guys and the topic drifted into the Alien UHD disc. They asked me if I had seen it and what I thought. I told them I thought it was an amazing transfer and they seemed relieved to hear positive feedback. Sometimes there can be so much negative feedback online.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
As has happened before, I was going to just spot check the 4K on my 65’ Sony XBR (my projector setup is only 1080P) but with a very quality release (except lack of Atmos is disappointing) of a movie I love I ended up watching the entire movie on from the discovery of the Space Jockey - Simply gorgeous!

At the current price it’s a no brained and an essential part of any “respectful” library ;)

Regards

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just finished watching the Director’s cut. This is what 4K should be about. It’s never looked better outside of the theater. When Kane is first examining the face hugger I thought I saw a problem with color shift. I then realized that this was lights on the console changing colors. I don’t remember noticing that before. There’s a new depth looking down corridors.

I did not notice a degradation of image quality in the additional scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks