What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Alice in Wonderland (1933) - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Without a doubt, Paramount's 1933 Alice in Wonderland is one of the strangest films to come from the studio during that era.

It is known from contemporary interviews, that the author, Charles Dodgson, known as Lewis Carroll, had always wanted his books (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and the 1871 Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There) to come to cinema in animated form. Before his passing, records show discussions with the Brothers Melies, but nothing came of it.

His wish had to wait until 1951, when animated motion pictures were invented by Walt Disney - his first feature length being Alice in Wonderland, which has fortunately survived the ravages of the nitrate era.

Which brings us back to Paramount, and their all-star 76-minute extravaganza filled with the finest effects of the era.

Starring 19 year-old (newcomer to film) Charlotte Henry, directed by Norman McLeod, with a screenplay by Joseph Mankiewicz and William Cameron Menzies, , a score by Dimitri Tiomkin, and photographed by Bert Glennon and Henry Sharp, it still failed to create a buzz at the boxoffice.

As to the "supporting" cast: Richard Arlen, Gary Cooper, Leon Errol, W.C. Fields, Cary Grant, Sterling Holloway, Edward Everett Horton, Mae Marsh, Polly Moran, Jack Oakie, Edna May Oliver, May Robson, Charles Ruggles...

The new Blu-ray from Kino, courtesy of Universal is a pleasant surprise, possibly because elements weren't over-printed. Although there's an occasional very insignificant cut through, the overall resolution, gray scale, grain structure are extremely pleasing. A bit of movement, but nothing problematic.

This is a film that I've never seen, although I've read about it numerous times - in most cases the actors' filmographies, or the old "Films of..." series of books.

For fans of Grant, Fields, Cooper and others, even with brief performances, it's a very interesting means of seeing these noted thespians used in odd, actually very odd, ways.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The Disney Alice connection is his earliest attempt in the 1920s with animation and live action. The "Alice in Cartoonland" comedies were his first success before Mickey Mouse.

Yeah, those Disney "Alice" cartoons (with the live-action Alice) are interesting little curios. I went to a screening of several of them at the DeMille Barn once, and the little-girl actress who played "Alice," Virginia Davis, was present, and related her experiences making them. Had a very enjoyable time that evening.

As for the 1933 Paramount film, it's an old nostalgic favorite, and I already have the disc pre-ordered. Glad to hear the Kino disc looks impressive.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The Disney Alice connection is his earliest attempt in the 1920s with animation and live action. The "Alice in Cartoonland" comedies were his first success before Mickey Mouse.

Also, it must be pointed out that Disney had planned to make an animated feature version of this story before even Snow White, but this version resulted in his version being pushed back until the aforementioned 1951 film.

As for this particular version, I myself have never seen the whole film, but the few bits I’ve seen were decidedly odd, to say the least.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Also, it must be pointed out that Disney had planned to make an animated feature version of this story before even Snow White, but this version resulted in his version being pushed back until the aforementioned 1951 film.

As for this particular version, I myself have never seen the whole film, but the few bits I’ve seen were decidedly odd, to say the least.

if only Sternberg has directed...

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The movie is definitely more weird than entirely successful. But early exposure made it a nostalgic fixture for me.

That Charlotte Henry was a game little actress, which was demonstrated when she let that big snake crawl over her in the Weiss-produced Columbia serial "Jungle Menace" (1937), starring Frank Buck. It's a pretty hair-raising scene.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Great news on your views of this movie and lonely are the brave. I have both of them on preorder.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
His wish had to wait until 1951, when animated motion pictures were invented by Walt Disney - his first feature length being Alice in Wonderland, which has fortunately survived the ravages of the nitrate era.

Are you sure you didn't mean "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs" in 1937? Disney had made several animated feature length films prior to "Alice in Wonderland".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks