What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Air Force One -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

But you could argue that film credits themselves should be in multiple languages and AFAIK such an option has never been provided.

As for being a purist - yup! And proud of it!

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

So looking at distinctive captions on, let's say, the two X-Files movies, are you saying that those were re-done between film and video? And if so, by whom? If it's the studio (or the company who created the letters in the first place) why can't THEY be tasked with providing the multi-language versions?

I wouldn't mind so much if some effort was made to replicate the theatrical size, placement, font, colour and shadow (where appropriate) - but these Sony titles couldn't be MORE inappropriate if they tried!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
So you're saying you have a perfect memory of the theatrical subtitles and that there is not a single factor that Sony got right? That's just being ridiculous. In fact, the only thing anyone without a 35mm print could be sure of is the placement. What evidence do you have that every single thing with the subtitles is wrong?

There's nitpicking, and then there's obsessing one's singular passion to the point of hyperbole and invention. This has rapidly become the latter.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

Well firstly it's starting to speak volumes that you're having a go at ME whilst I'm focusing solely on the presentation of the MOVIE...

But that aside... what's this obsession with me being in the minority. Let's do a poll. Given the choice, who would prefer the captions to be INSIDE the frame and who would prefer them OUTSIDE? "Don't mind" is not an option. I'd be curious to know the results.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

I wonder how this "very large segment" coped in the days of VHS and laserdisc!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
For my two cents - Unless the subtitles are an integral part of the film or presented in line with a directors vision (Night/Day watch for example) - I am not sure many would notice a change in subtitles. I can understand disappointment if you notice a difference, but the language being used, at Sony in particular here, is not generating any sympathy or real support from me.

And Mr. Harris - you have never steered anyone wrong with your few word's and are spot on again here... Thank you!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The studios either went to the expenses I mentioned above for the various languages or left people to their own devices. And that wasn't fair to them. However, the fact that you feel that your singular concern overrules the regards of this demonstrably large part of the population even when presented with simple and cheap technological solutions (including the ability to address CIH concerns) is frighteningly selfish and a little bit weird.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

In this case all of the other changes (size, font, etc) are moot because the captions were moved. Hardly worth picking over font when they're not even in the right place. Besides I didn't say that ALL of those things were wrong with this movie. To Sony's credit I believe they did get the colour right. Good for them! LOL

Oh I'm happy for any studio to replicate theatrical subs with the player - but to date NONE of them have managed it successfully to my knowledge. SO you'll forgive me for ignoring their attempts.

And as for personal choice - yeah, cool, let folks decide how their movies look regardless of what the original presentation was like. Here's an idea: let's have a button which allows viewers to toggle between 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 so that the "majority" who hate black bars don't have to deal with them.

Besides which, if you want choice, Sony could easily incorporate the other translations into the general foreign language subtitle track and put THAT under the picture. That way the original theatrical caption is left on the picture (correct size, font, artistic integrity, etc) and the foreign language equivalent is printed underneath in the black bar. That way everyone gets what they want!

Anyway I have a train to catch!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Of course not.
The official ratio of HD equipment happens to be 16x9, but the frame of my screen can even be opened up to 107" X 80" (which I lovingly, though strictly incorrectly, call "IMAX mode").

A 2.40x1 screen is technically speaking an erroneous choice (to me anyway). But I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further by going into an elaborate explanation and discussion.

Everyone can make choices like that for him-/herself, but IMO it goes too far to demand that parts of the official 16x9 image stay unused.

Cees

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The Godfather blu-ray release has player generated subtitles that to my eye look identical to the originals. So it can be done.

Doug

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Except for the many, many movies with 1.33:1 through 1.85:1 ARs; anybody who doesn't want two sets of subtitles; and not to mention the same people who you have been defending regarding placement. Do you see why your arguments against the simple cost-effective solution for millions of people in order to fulfill entirely selfish desires make little to no sense yet?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The subtitles for The Godfather(s) were upgraded to be more easily viewed on home video. The original subtitles, precisely as they were seen in 1972 and 74, were reproduced at 6k resolution from their original hi-con title rolls as part of the restored 35mm prints of the film.

RAH

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Thank you for the info Robert. I would suggest that producers of future blu-ray releases should look to this this release as the way it should be done. Of course this doesn't fix the tendency of producers to put the titles below the image in 2.35:1 films.

Doug

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
THE INTERNATIONAL also has good looking player generated subs.
However, it wraps to a 2nd line below the picture, which made me miss reading it because I was slouching, and it disappeared too quickly.

I really liked how the subs on Slumdog Millionaire was done.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

Uh-oh! Well thanks for the warning. Guess I won't be buying that one either :-(

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator

Where at Blu-ray.com do you see details for a replacement program? I was just all over that site and did not see anything except for a brief mention of the need for one by someone posting in the AF1 thread.

I am one of those with the no subs problem and would like to get this corrected ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks