What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Simple Favor -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I had initially passed on screening Paul Feig's A Simple Favor, which had me thinking of A Simple Plan, as it sounded like a typical BFF / Rom-com, and I was wrong in doing so.

The Canadian (Ontario) production, with with locations in NYC, is quite Coenish, as it moves from what appears to be heading toward rom-com to far darker areas. And it does this while taking full advantage of Anna Kendrick's comedic talents.

The two leads, Kendrick and Blake Lively are a veritable "Mutt & Jeff" pairing. Ms Kendrick is diminutive, at 5'2", while Ms Lively, at 5' 10", towers over her. In certain scenes, I noted Kendrick in heels, and Lively in flats, to try to even things out, but the size differential adds to the fish out of water scheme of the film, ie. elementary school mom vs we're not really certain.

As I went in with zero precognitions, I'll suggest that others do the same.

There's fun to be had here.

Lionsgate's 4k release, based upon John Schwartzman's 8k Panavision files, was finished as a 2k DI, so while the 4k Blu-ray looks wonderful, and extremely velvety, you won't find a highly resolved image.

The aspect ratio, which is 2:1, is problematic for theatrical projection, as most theaters cannot run it properly. Most have the ability to properly run 1.85 and scope. 2:1 ends up miniaturized inside a 1.85 box, ie. smaller as opposed to wider, and almost as large as scope.

The audio image is full, and takes in the entire stage.

Image - 5 (HDR10/Dolby Vision)

Audio - 5 (Dolby TrueHD 7.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I pre-ordered this (rare for me) and really enjoyed it. The 4k blu ray is very high quality and there are some amusing supplements.

My favourite Blake Lively film is The Age of Adaline which deserves a UHD release.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
This film has the best line I've heard in years, but it isn't funny unless you have seen the film. Andrew Rannells delivers it: "America's hybrids. Silent, but deadly."

And no, that isn't a spoiler.

Also the reference, also not a spoiler, to a book "Oopsie Jar" by Sean Townsend is hilarious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks