What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Even for those who don't particularly care for film, like me, Mondo Steelbooks add another dimension, that takes things out of the ordinary, and into the spectacular.

This is investment quality art for the steelbook collector.

Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X?

Who cares.

A 4k Blu-ray, especially with HDR becomes the center of everything important in one's home.

In the past, many in foreign territories, Mondo Steelbooks have become an essential fashion accessory to one's home theater. Domestically, a handful have become available as Best Buy or Target exclusives.

There's something special about them.

With paintings going in the millions, or tens of millions of dollars, collectible cars also reaching multiple millions, you can own a limited edition of Paramount's A Quiet Place - which also happens to be a really good film - for $28.

Best Buy special edition steenboks cost at least $5 more, which means that if you've not yet added that 4k A Quiet Place to your library, this is the way to go.

The packaging, and protective packaging is beyond the norm.

A Steelbook, encapusulated within what appears to be an acrylic sleeve, with the outer artwork combining with that on the steel surface to form a cohesive statement.

But there's more to the quality.

Lest the outer acrylic shield be damaged in any way, it, in turn, is wrapped in a protective film.

These are lovely, well-designed products, that I'd love to see in use for a film's initial 4k release, or alternatively offered as an upgrade product, mit out disc, for those who already own the beautiful Paramount 4k.

For those who may be living on another planet, A Quiet Place is number 38 in the series.

Now completists will have to find the earlier 37.

Rumor has it that Top Gun may be number 39, to coincide with the release of the new film. I'd love to see The Graduate and Rumor Has It released as a dual steelbook at number 40.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Why do I feel like Pinocchio before he became a real boy (my legs being pulled...;) ) ?

The most Artistic of these steelbooks was the Artisan Special Edition of Total Recall (1999)
s-l640.jpg

Sans the chipboard "case" the steelbook would just roll around ...
The "Easy Open" steelbook was almost guaranteed to damage the enclosed disc :~

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why do I feel like Pinocchio before he became a real boy (my legs being pulled...;) ) ?

The most Artistic of these steelbooks was the Artisan Special Edition of Total Recall (1999)
s-l640.jpg

I still own this!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

s-l640.jpg

IMHO, these are the best steelbooks. The forbidden planet was quite deep and contains a miniature Robby the Robot, still wrapped in mint condition. The King Kong case is quite heavily embossed. Both are gorgeous. They were for DVD editions and did not cost and arm and a leg. They now contain my blu rays.
upload_2020-2-29_11-44-10.jpeg

upload_2020-2-29_11-44-34.jpeg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
IMHO, these are the best steelbooks. The forbidden planet was quite deep and contains a miniature Robby the Robot, still wrapped in mint condition. The King Kong case is quite heavily embossed. Both are gorgeous. They were for DVD editions and did not cost and arm and a leg. They now contain my blu rays.
View attachment 69138
View attachment 69139
Have these too.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
View attachment 69138
View attachment 69139
I Only have the Forbidden Planet one but it has the blu-ray inside ... now ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m not positive, but I don’t think FB or KK were special editions. This was the way you bought the blu ray. They weren’t expensive.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

s-l640.jpg

I owned this one -- man, I hated that packaging.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The original "Steelbook" Box was for the FP DVD with a mini-Robbie the Robot ...

914McyFrbmL._SL1500_.jpg

I believe there was a thinner steelbook blu-ray released as a collector set (sans Mini-Robbie) ...

11115829-7894746057779130.jpg

I purchased the blu-ray as a separate release in a standard case. I put the blu-ray in the tin for the DVD ... with Mini-Robbie... :cool:

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The original "Steelbook" Box was for the FP DVD with a mini-Robbie the Robot ...

914McyFrbmL._SL1500_.jpg

I believe there was a thinner steelbook blu-ray released as a collector set (sans Mini-Robbie) ...

11115829-7894746057779130.jpg

I purchased the blu-ray as a separate release in a standard case. I put the blu-ray in the tin for the DVD ... with Mini-Robbie... :cool:
The mini-Robbie is not as big as the picture would suggest. But the case is marvelous.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
s-l640.jpg

To be clear, the Total Recall DVD was a disc tin, not a SteelBook. Although both made of metal, they're very different. That Total Recall tin was extremely prone to dents if you so much as looked at it funny.

I owned this one -- man, I hated that packaging.

Agreed. It was pretty silly. Nearly as bad was the Basic Instinct "ice pick" DVD package - which I of course also owned.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
One of my personal favourites in the Steelbook category is Guardians of the Galaxy, which is embossed and made up to look like Peter Quill's Walkman. Genius.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One of my personal favourites in the Steelbook category is Guardians of the Galaxy, which is embossed and made up to look like Peter Quill's Walkman. Genius.

I think the BB "GotG2" exclusive is the only steelbook I ever bought.

I've gotten some as review copies - such as the subject of this discussion - but "GotG2" is the only one I purchased. I wanted that 4K/3D combo!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I may end up picking up the steelbook version of this title as I do like the look of the steelbooks and they look nicer than the cheap plastic cases.

And I also own the same Total Recall, lol.

Jan2019o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks