What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I've not even had a chance to view any of these new discs, we're off to a great start. Five discs in a single Blu-ray case, measuring about half an inch, and weighing possibly six ounces, vs. the old DVD boxed set at about 5 inches and a pound and a half. Very nicely done, WB! RAH

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
So far so good!
I bought this set in Australia back in 2011, and I've been very happy with it. Whilst I don't think the transfers are exactly Criterion-worthy, I think they're very decent, especially considering the price point. Loads of great extras too, and it's a definite plus not having to wade through a dated and confusing 90's DVD game to get to the good stuff!
I completely agree about the packaging too. I can't believe back in the late 90's / early 00's we (well, I) used to love stupidly ornate packaging. The Elm Street set is a good example, as are sets like the Anchor Bay wooden (!) Wicker Man set, the Basic Instinct set that contained an icepick pen, and the Total Recall SE in a Mars-shaped tin, etc.... Nowadays, I just want something that fits on the shelf! Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable...
Looking forward to hearing your verdict on the A/V...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I wish they'd release a Blu-ray of Freddy's Dead with the climax in 3D.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cafink said:
I wish they'd release a Blu-ray of Freddy's Dead with the climax in 3D.
That's the only complaint I could come up with for this set. And since I'm not a huge fan of Freddy's Dead, I can't even get that worried about it. I'm curious to see RAH's thoughts on the discs too since I've seen people here criticize the video quality. To my eyes, the movies look fine given that we're talking about low budget movies (especially the first 3) that are a couple decades old. Not every movie is going to get a full blown restoration or look like it was made yesterday.

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
At least one transfer, Part 4 I think, has been criticised for being far too dark. A shame the uncut versions of Part 1 and 5 are still unavaliable on digital media.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Whilst Part 7 has had a rather drastic change in lighting too, but in the opposite direction: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=2791&cap2=2781&art=full&image=8&cID=618&action=1&lossless=#vergleich Of course, who is to say which is more "correct"?

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
John Weller said:
At least one transfer, Part 4 I think, has been criticised for being far too dark.
While it may be a bit darker than it should be, it should be noted that the DVD transfer (the main point people are using for comparison) was far too bright. In the scene where Freddy is resurrected, the brightness is cranked so high that you can see that his mouth doesn't move when the looped line "You shouldn't bury me, I'm not dead" is heard. The BD, by virtue of its darker grading, fixes this problem. And also, it just looks more like a horror movie. Again, there's definitely some crush going on, but when it comes to horror, I'll take a bit too dark over way too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks