What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A New Leaf -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Elaine May's 1971 production, A New Leaf, is one of the era's funniest films.

Like Unknown Woman, best not to discuss content, as there are riches here to be discovered.

And also like Unknown Woman, it comes from Olive's Signature collection, proving the point, at least to me, that their release of the two Cary Grant films -- both highly entertaining and good quality -- were anomalies, as a part of their "restored" program of titles.

A New Leaf, which is another 4k image harvest from the OCN, is glorious. Color, densities, grain structure, black levels -- everything appears to be in the proper place.

And it's clean.

Also some quality extras.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from original Blu-ray - Absolutely.

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What an unlikely and irresistible gem of a film to join Olive's Signature collection.
And who would have imagined that this title would have ascended to the levels of an OCN/4K scan?
More than intrigued; and definitely a must own.
Welcome back, Olive.:)

Last edited:

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I don't see this listed on Amazon nor do they list Letter from an Unknown Woman which is a Signature release also, both are released 12/05. I guess I will have to buy from Olive.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
A6693DD3-8536-4EE0-8CD2-C0372AC8A437.jpeg
Here’s the cover of the new release.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
William Redfield plays Henry's lawyer with such deadpan comic timing that I sometimes have to remind myself that it isn't Mike Nichols. I wonder if that wasn't deliberate; being an Elaine May film and all.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if any of the footage from the director's original darker cut survived ? It is a shame the film could not be reconstructed as Ms. May originally conceived it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Does anyone know if any of the footage from the director's original darker cut survived ? It is a shame the film could not be reconstructed as Ms. May originally conceived it.
What was in the darker cut and how was it conceived?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
An entire William Hickey performance on the cutting room floor? Would love to have seen Hickey and Matthau go at it in a scene.
Hope they one day find May's missing footage.
Based on what I've read, it sounds like the final cut of ANL is a better, tighter film than May's original cut would have been, but I'd still love to see the cut scenes if they still exist.

Who knows what happened to the footage, though. I would also love to see all the deleted scenes from Harold & Maude (which came out the same year), but I don't know in '71 if they had started storing/shelving unused footage of if they were still in the practice of trashing it like in years past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks